collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Unai Emery - our manager by Mister E
[Today at 01:29:15 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by rob_bridge
[Today at 01:28:47 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by Meanwood Villa
[Today at 01:28:12 PM]

New Shirt Sponsor by Risso
[Today at 01:25:44 PM]

John McGinn - signed (Captain) by usav
[Today at 01:25:15 PM]

NSWE Investment by Somniloquism
[Today at 01:22:44 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Mister E
[Today at 01:19:00 PM]

Ollie Watkins by LeeB
[Today at 01:10:23 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Im-press-ive  (Read 7373 times)

Offline eastie

Re: Im-press-ive
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2012, 06:41:01 PM »
The only way Arsenal are going to win anything again is if they stop selling their best players. They have trouble keeping hold of their better players when the big boys come calling as well as us.

I think the problem there is they seem happy to finish 4 th and qualify for the champions league year after year whereas most fans want trophies , a good bank balance is not what fans are craving ,it's silverware and a club like arsenal should be winning trophies - they have lost a lot of good players but haven't really spent big on replacements , although as man utd found out with Ronaldo good players are hard to hold onto.

Offline godzvilla

« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2012, 07:14:26 PM »
Back on the Press theme , here is how the Times described our Team that played against Liverpool .
" From their three unflappable centre-backs to their twinkle-toed forward line, via a Stakhanovite midfield, Villa’s team of boys played like men " .
and referring to the goals : "  First, the Liverpool defence backed off Holman, who squared for Christian Benteke. The Belgium international had the time to pick his spot, albeit with a shot that bobbled over Reina’s late dive.

Villa’s second was a pearl but once again Liverpool’s tracking of their men was less than Mountie-esque. Weimann’s precise through ball was met by a superlative, first-time Benteke backheel, a moment of other-worldly but world-class magic that wrong-footed the Liverpool defence. The Viennese had run-on and, imperious as a Habsburg palace, smashed the ball gleefully past Reina.

Benteke is already looking splendid value for the £7m it took to prise him from Genk. Collectively, Martin Skrtel and Daniel Agger tried means fair and foul to stop him, but for 90 harrowing minutes they were outrun, outmuscled and out-thought. And in Weimann, Benteke had a sidekick as eager and as willing.

To the Kop’s increasing but hushed horror, it could have been three before half-time when Glen Johnson let in Weimann, who chipped on to the roof of the net. Rodgers dangled the carrot of redemption before Joe Cole and the midfielder found himself with 45 minutes in which to further revive his stuttering career. After six of them, it looked unlikely when he was pickpocketed by Holman. The Australian found Benteke, who charged towards goal, again untracked, and skipped past feeble Skrtel and Joe Allen challenges before slotting over Reina with the insouciance of a lambent player near the peak of his powers "  .

Some amazing descriptions in there  ............Godzvilla !
p.s...
Definition of Stakhanovite
noun

a worker in the former Soviet Union who was exceptionally hard-working and productive: the Stakhanovites succeeded in increasing the quantity of goods produced
    an exceptionally hard-working or zealous person: [as modifier]: she was a Stakhanovite worker in the field of female suffering a Stakhanovite train-washing programm

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2012, 07:32:09 PM »
Stakhanovite sounds a quality player. Come on Randy, open the cheque book !

Offline eastie

« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2012, 07:37:12 PM »
Does villadroid work for the times as I'm sure some of those words flow from his sentences when he posts his majestic views on the blessed Martin.

Offline Louzie0

• UTV: I’m retired, hurrah!
  • GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2012, 07:39:39 PM »
Great article Dave, didn't remember the history but it sounded familiar as I was reading and the bit I really liked was...

'But I’ve not seen much this season to make me think that, given time and a bit of luck, a top four spot is out of the question, and with the way football now works that’s as impressive for a club of Villa’s resources as actually winning the league would have been in 1985.

If the future does go to plan maybe this was the week we’ll look back and call the time when it all started to go right.'

Right on! Gosh I hope you're right.
And as ALITA says, sign more talented Stakhanovites. They seem to work for PL! UTV
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 07:44:02 PM by Louzie0 »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal