collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Things I've heard on here this season  (Read 42865 times)

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: Things I've heard on here this season
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2012, 08:32:26 PM »
Don't agree with postings like this generally but I would love to get the opinions now of some of the people saying benteke/clark/bannan were all shit and needed to be replaced with experience.  Those 3 are now absolutely key to us and are getting better and better, I just wonder whether people think they were a bit premature in writing them off as never good enough.

I've been backing the idea of trusting the youth for a while so I'm pretty pleased with how things are going right now.  I'll progress to smug if things carry on improving.

Offline DrGonzo

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2012, 08:36:19 PM »
From a bloke who told us that Grant Holt will definetely be playing for us this year so we should just get used to it...

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2012, 09:02:50 PM »
The thing with Benteke for me, is that when he arrived he looked very strong and powerful as he does now, but I thought that running with the ball he looked dreadful.  I was very, very wrong, if that will cheer John up a bit.

The "absolute donkey" comment will haunt you for years Riss!

As for me, i've been so wrong so often about players listing them all would make this post the length of War and Peace.

Personal ahem 'highlights' include things along the lines of, "Scimeca will captain England" "Beye will be a good solid buy and prove very useful" "Sidwell will be immense for us" "Steven Davis will become a Villa legend". I also remember telling my mates that Cristiano Ronaldo would rank along side Veron as a shite signing for Ferguson.

I guess that's why i'm still waiting to be appointed Villa manager.

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2012, 09:04:10 PM »
Don't agree with postings like this generally but I would love to get the opinions now of some of the people saying benteke/clark/bannan were all shit and needed to be replaced with experience.  Those 3 are now absolutely key to us and are getting better and better, I just wonder whether people think they were a bit premature in writing them off as never good enough.

I've been backing the idea of trusting the youth for a while so I'm pretty pleased with how things are going right now.  I'll progress to smug if things carry on improving.

I've often slated Bannan over the last 18 months or so. I'll be delighted if he continues his recent form and proves me completely wrong.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2012, 09:07:19 PM »

Offline Hopadop

• GM : 07.08.2024
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2012, 09:07:26 PM »
I generally agree a bit of patience is no bad thing, but I'm so clueless I'm just starting to have nagging doubts about Billy McNeill.

Online Holte L2

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2012, 09:16:20 PM »
I was slated on here three years ago for saying Bannan would be a quality player.

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2012, 09:17:35 PM »
I was slated on here three years ago for saying Bannan would be a quality player.

Surely not 'slated'? I've been Bannan's most apologetic cheerleader here for years and it's passed vaguely without comment beyond simple disagreement.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2012, 09:19:06 PM »
The term 'slated' seems to be rather hyperbolic. Any evidence to support this?

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2012, 09:20:02 PM »
I'm not keen on Bannan, hope i'm proved wrong.

Online nigel

« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2012, 09:22:07 PM »
Looking at things through my claret and blue tinted glasses, I have no doubt things will be fine.
I've said that it will take some time for Lambert to find the formation to suit and it looks like he's found one to suit us.
New manager, new players, new system, it was never going to be an easy season. It's along road and we've just turned the first, of many, corners.

Online Holte L2

« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2012, 09:30:17 PM »
The term 'slated' seems to be rather hyperbolic. Any evidence to support this?

Yeah. I'll dig out some posts tomorrow when at work. I'm busy watching Sports Personality just now

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2012, 09:31:00 PM »
The thing with Benteke for me, is that when he arrived he looked very strong and powerful as he does now, but I thought that running with the ball he looked dreadful.  I was very, very wrong, if that will cheer John up a bit.

The "absolute donkey" comment will haunt you for years Riss!

As for me, i've been so wrong so often about players listing them all would make this post the length of War and Peace.

Personal ahem 'highlights' include things along the lines of, "Scimeca will captain England" "Beye will be a good solid buy and prove very useful" "Sidwell will be immense for us" "Steven Davis will become a Villa legend". I also remember telling my mates that Cristiano Ronaldo would rank along side Veron as a shite signing for Ferguson.

I guess that's why i'm still waiting to be appointed Villa manager.

I think you were just as much on Weimann's back to be honest! ;)  I think we'll call that a score draw and move on!

Offline TheEgo

• GM : Sept, 2013
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2012, 09:38:00 PM »
I reckon something else you may hear is, fu*king yesssss we've beat Chelsea away, get in!!

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2012, 09:39:15 PM »
Actually I just argued that Weimann wasn't a much better player than Benteke IIRC. I can't recall ever saying I don't rate him. So ner ner!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal