collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Small Rodent
[Today at 10:57:27 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Footy-Vill
[Today at 10:55:17 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:51:09 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Stu
[Today at 10:51:03 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Richard
[Today at 10:47:48 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Footy-Vill
[Today at 10:44:34 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by VillaTim
[Today at 10:44:17 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 10:43:33 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Nathan Baker  (Read 29660 times)

Online Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
Re: Nathan Baker
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2012, 11:55:56 PM »
Baker was our main man for most of the first half. McLeish rated him highly and has to be given credit for the way he got to how he played today.

If Baker was so good last year, why was he shaky for the first few games under Lambert?

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2012, 11:59:06 PM »
Surprised to see someone being critical of his performances last season. He didn't look too good against Chelsea but after that I thought his quality was there for all to see. I'm glad his getting a run because I wondered how he would stay involved with Clark and Vlaar being the preferred partnership in a 2 man defence. I was worried he could get frustrated and look for opportunities elsewhere so I'm glad we have a manager who likes to have the flexibility to change to a 3-man defence.

Re: Vlaar vs Herd for the right side spot: I can't fault Herd's defensive work but his distribution needs a lot of work. Too often he goes for the big boot upfield. Having played right back though he is just as comfortable to push out to the right and allow Lowton to bomb on. The lack of technique that the likes of Herd and Lichaj have though will become a problem for them though as we start to bring in better players to the club.

Online Somniloquism

« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2012, 12:09:56 AM »
TBH it will be interesting how Vlaar fits back in. Although we need a calm head in there occasionally, he was also directly at fault for a few goals earlier this season. Granted we haven't really played this system with him but we have also had our best run of defending as well.

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2012, 12:20:17 AM »
Vlaar will fit in nicely in a 3 man defence.
Herd has done really well and Lambert will chop and change but I like the idea of a Vlaar, Baker and Clark back 3 with Lowton (or Herd) and Bennett (or Lichaj) bombing up and down the flanks in support.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2012, 12:22:33 AM »
I just said the same on the post match thread, but Baker looks like he's developing into one of those centre halves who just looks in control all the time, confident in what he's doing, and goes about his job with the minimum of fuss.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2012, 12:25:49 AM »
I'm a bit curious myself on this one, DC5! In what way did McLeish play such a big role in Bakers development? I'd guess that as a fine defender himself he might have seen his potential?

By sending him out on loan, and then playing him a handful of times, when Dunne got injured and he had no other options.

I am happy to give McLeish credit when he deserves it (Holman, for example, on a Bosman), but really, it's tenuous in the extreme to paint him as some kind of influential factor in Baker's development.

Houllier played Baker five times. McLeish then next used him a year after his last appearance for us.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 12:27:23 AM by pauliewalnuts »

Offline citizenDJ

• GM : 28.05.2020
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2012, 12:43:31 AM »
Well, yeah, that's pretty much how I remember it. I was just wondering what I've missed, that DC5 alluded to.

Online Somniloquism

« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2012, 12:45:43 AM »
DC5 and TSM = Chris Smith and DOL

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2012, 01:14:20 AM »
I'm a bit curious myself on this one, DC5! In what way did McLeish play such a big role in Bakers development? I'd guess that as a fine defender himself he might have seen his potential?

By sending him out on loan, and then playing him a handful of times, when Dunne got injured and he had no other options.

I am happy to give McLeish credit when he deserves it (Holman, for example, on a Bosman), but really, it's tenuous in the extreme to paint him as some kind of influential factor in Baker's development.

Houllier played Baker five times. McLeish then next used him a year after his last appearance for us.

He really didn't look ready when he played under Houllier then, if I remember rightly, he was injured and unavailable for a fair bit. He's looking a real prospect now but even my optimism was strained by his early performances.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2012, 01:20:50 AM »
DC5 and TSM = Chris Smith and DOL

Not sure what you mean by that.My argument was only ever that he should be given until the end of the season. When it finished I agreed that he didn't deserve to keep hs job. I try not to judge managers on their personalities (O'Leary is a twat by the way) as we'd end up changing them every few weeks if that was the case.

Offline russon

« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2012, 07:13:16 AM »
It's like watching Gary Cahill all over again. All we need now is an overhead kicked goal in front of the Holte and we're there.

Online The Man With A Stick

« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2012, 08:08:10 AM »
It's like watching Gary Cahill all over again. All we need now is an overhead kicked goal in front of the Holte and we're there.

Let's just hope the manager doesn't go mental and give him away for next to nothing this time.  Somehow, I can't see it happening.

Online Villafirst

« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2012, 08:14:27 AM »

Let's just hope the manager doesn't go mental and give him away for next to nothing this time.  Somehow, I can't see it happening.

Agree, MON absolute criminal decision!

Offline Rancid custard

« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2012, 08:14:59 AM »
Again, just like Weiman, I'm glad he's getting a decent run of games. I think the system is helping too, the LB and RB can tuck in and pack the box for cover, it allows one of the back 3 to drop back a bit  and they'll still have cover from the other two and they're being shielded by whomever is in front of them. Poor old Dunne is probably going to be off in the summer.

Offline gervilla

« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2012, 08:53:11 AM »
He does seem to love a good old thundering sliding tackle.
He manages to get the ball too which is a bonus .
Maybe it is a bit harsh to say his performances last season were less than assured but I do remember him having one or two not totally convincing games. Maybe I'm thinking of the previous season.
This season the guy looks class.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal