collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by chrisw1
[Today at 08:51:41 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by itbrvilla
[Today at 08:50:29 AM]

Re: FFP by chrisw1
[Today at 08:48:04 AM]

Re: FFP by cdward
[Today at 08:44:03 AM]

Re: FFP by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 08:31:47 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Hillbilly
[Today at 08:29:13 AM]

Re: Brian Evans by Scratchins
[Today at 08:23:18 AM]

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by Hillbilly
[Today at 08:13:33 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Nathan Baker  (Read 29565 times)

Offline gervilla

Nathan Baker
« on: December 15, 2012, 08:51:53 PM »
It has taken Nathan a while to find his feet in the first team after some less than assured performances last season and some bad luck injury wise when he did get a start but this season I have been incredibly impressed with him.
He has come on leaps and bounds.
For me he looks a better center back than Clark who to be fair to him has also been much more commanding of late.
He is playing with a maturity and consistency far beyond his years.
Another product of the academy with a big future ahead of him.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
Re: Nathan Baker
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 08:53:27 PM »
It has taken Nathan a while to find his feet in the first team after some less than assured performances last season and some bad luck injury wise when he did get a start but this season I have been incredibly impressed with him.
He has come on leaps and bounds.
For me he looks a better center back than Clark who to be fair to him has also been much more commanding of late.
He is playing with a maturity and consistency far beyond his years.
Another product of the academy with a big future ahead of him.

Baker and Clark look a god partnership to me.  Might be tricky for Vlaar to get back in straight away.

Offline eastie

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 09:02:42 PM »
Delighted with baker and Clark , and herd has also been superb , with Vlaar close to fitness and Lowton available as cover in central defence I think we are pretty solid- credit too to Guzan who spreads confidence with his safe handling .

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2012, 09:06:30 PM »
I didn't think he was THAT bad last year.  Regardless he's looked great recently.

Compared to Collins and Dunne these inexperienced CB have looked completely in control for 90% of their tenure together.  I can understand the wisdom in wanting experience but I kinda like the way these youngsters are having to deal with the pressure of being responsible for their actions.  It means no-one is hiding or shirking responsibility.  Not to mention they've probably played as a pair a few hundred times so the communication should be good.

Offline Lambert and Payne

• GM : Sep, 2012
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2012, 09:13:38 PM »
Nathan Baker was fantastic against Fulham, he's had some bad luck with injuries but if he can shake that off, he has a really fantastic future ahead of him

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2012, 09:20:57 PM »
Delighted with baker and Clark , and herd has also been superb , with Vlaar close to fitness and Lowton available as cover in central defence I think we are pretty solid- credit too to Guzan who spreads confidence with his safe handling .

Conjecture, but I think Guzan's communication might be a key difference between the previous years defensive omnishambles and now.  A gobby yank was the answer all along...  Who'd have thought.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2012, 09:27:41 PM »
He's really starting to look the part. A few years ago I doubt many of us expected him to look more of a first teamer than Fonz, Albrighton etc. I wondered if he even had much of a future at Villa, especially when he got busted for the tickets. It's ace being wrong when it benefits the Villa.

Offline Lambert and Payne

• GM : Sep, 2012
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2012, 09:33:57 PM »

Conjecture, but I think Guzan's communication might be a key difference between the previous years defensive omnishambles and now.  A gobby yank was the answer all along...  Who'd have thought.

Confidence in the Keeper, communication and the way he controls his box is a big factor. The way he stood up to K (I'm not brave enough to spell it) Jones last week and Suarez earlier when they dared come near him will show strikers he won't be intimidated

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2012, 09:42:24 PM »
I think Baker's quality.  A proper old fashioned no-nonsense defender.  Him and Clark are forming a good combination, they remind me a bit of Southgate and Ehiogu.

Offline Chipsticks

• GM : 22.04.2015
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2012, 09:45:42 PM »
k than Clark who to be fair to him has also been much more commanding of late.

I still think Clark's better, but Baker's looking more than capable of overtaking him.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2012, 09:45:58 PM »
I think Baker is the better defender, but Clark is the better footballer. If that makes sense.

Offline Chipsticks

• GM : 22.04.2015
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2012, 09:47:05 PM »
I think Baker is the better defender, but Clark is the better footballer. If that makes sense.

Makes sense to me. I think I actually agree with that, but in today's game being a better footballer is probably more valuable.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2012, 09:51:22 PM »

Makes sense to me. I think I actually agree with that, but in today's game being a better footballer is probably more valuable.

Makes for a good combination the way I see it.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2012, 09:53:00 PM »

Makes for a potentially great partnership.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2012, 10:04:44 PM »
Baker is a solid, no nonsense centre half. With that you need a footballer, organiser and leader next to them. Clark is that now. Captain today, and rightly so. Vlaar in for Herd when fit will happen at some point, but not straight away I don't think. I think though, the 5-3-2 has helped all three for 2 main reasons, Guzan as mentioned behind, and Bannan and Westwood in front. Both screening, but importantly always available to take the ball from them and keep it moving.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal