collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Alex Cropley on TS  (Read 6323 times)

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
Re: Alex Cropley on TS
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2012, 10:06:03 PM »
Regarding Alex alongside Sid or general  "great player" label is not appropriate IMO. Yes he was ok but only a bit part player for us. He was mostly injured and when he did play was more style than substance. As far I know he was a frustrating player didn't deliver on expectation and probably wished he had stayed at Arsenal

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2012, 08:12:24 AM »
Sorry aftab, but if that is as far as you know it's not very far. He was a fantastic player. The only reason we got him from Arsenal was because of a certain Liam Brady.

He was many people's favourite in a team of special players.

Offline willywombat

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2012, 08:26:48 AM »
Regarding Alex alongside Sid or general  "great player" label is not appropriate IMO. Yes he was ok but only a bit part player for us. He was mostly injured and when he did play was more style than substance. As far I know he was a frustrating player didn't deliver on expectation and probably wished he had stayed at Arsenal

Not the player I remember aftab! He was a star and we loved him, bit part player he certainly was not

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2012, 09:36:09 AM »
My dad loved him . Thought he was the best footballing Villa player up with God.     

Offline olaftab

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2012, 01:12:29 PM »
Sorry aftab, but if that is as far as you know it's not very far. He was a fantastic player. The only reason we got him from Arsenal was because of a certain Liam Brady.

Clearly my memory of Alex at VP is soiled somehow!  He was with us at the time  when Deehan, Gray and Sir Dennis were at their best so not a difficult scenario to perfoprm well. His best game I remember was against Liverpool but than they were all gems that day. I don't remember much else.

Offline Dave Summers

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2012, 03:21:41 PM »

Clearly my memory of Alex at VP is soiled somehow!  He was with us at the time  when Deehan, Gray and Sir Dennis were at their best so not a difficult scenario to perfoprm well. His best game I remember was against Liverpool but than they were all gems that day. I don't remember much else.

You're the first Villa fan I have heard, who saw that team, to have not rated Alex that highly :-)

Like all the others and as I said earlier, just a genius for me.  He would be in any Villa team you care too mention since I have been watching, 1971 onwards.  A bit part player he was most certainly not.

Would love to get in his taxi the next time I am in Edinburgh and have a chat.

Offline barrysleftfoot

« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2012, 05:00:43 PM »

I think that the fact that most Villa fans of my age , rate Alex Cropley as probably their favourite player of that era, at a time when we had Sid, BL,AGray et al, speaks volumes to how high he was regarded .

Offline Salsa Party Animal

• Location: Trinity Road Lower Stand or Dance-floor or Bedroom.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Salsapartyanimal
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2012, 06:00:01 PM »
is there any long highlight video of Alex Cropley just to tell how good is he ?

Offline martin o`who??

• Apparently I am my own worst enemy.
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2012, 02:49:29 PM »
Alex Cropley was the bollox. I seem to remember (and i may be wrong here), but didnt we score via Andy Gray from the resultant free kick after they`d crippled him, scant reward for such a tragedy.

Offline olaftab

« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2012, 06:52:38 PM »
is there any long highlight video of Alex Cropley just to tell how good is he ?
No you shouldn't be rewarded for bing young!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal