collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Reasons to be optimistic coming into 2nd half of season  (Read 14481 times)

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
Re: Reasons to be optimistic coming into 2nd half of season
« Reply #75 on: December 13, 2012, 01:32:30 PM »
I think the manager has shown in startling fashion that he is capable of spending money well and managing his squad financially, and as a result the chairman will repay that by backing him strongly.

Richard Dunne
Charles N'Zogbia
Darren Bent
Shay Given

There's a LOT of wages and transfer value (OK, most of the latter is with Bent) being taken up there for very little contribution to the cause so far this season this season.  If we're still running a tight financial ship, I'd say how much Lambert is backed will depend on shifting one or more of them.  I think Randy will back him anyway, but the scale of that backing may increase if he moves a few on. 

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #76 on: December 13, 2012, 01:49:31 PM »
I think the manager has shown in startling fashion that he is capable of spending money well and managing his squad financially, and as a result the chairman will repay that by backing him strongly.

Richard Dunne
Charles N'Zogbia
Darren Bent
Shay Given

There's a LOT of wages and transfer value (OK, most of the latter is with Bent) being taken up there for very little contribution to the cause so far this season this season.  If we're still running a tight financial ship, I'd say how much Lambert is backed will depend on shifting one or more of them.  I think Randy will back him anyway, but the scale of that backing may increase if he moves a few on. 

I think Dunne would have gone but for injury and Bent's as good as gone anyway.

I wouldn't think we'd get a new keeper in Jan so Given would have to stay as cover, and whisper it but there seemed to be a spark about N'Zogbia on Tuesday that I hadn't seen before, he might just kick on and I think Lambert rates him.

Offline thick_mike

• GM : 26.02.2025
« Reply #77 on: December 13, 2012, 05:26:47 PM »
I have this dream...

Benteke/Weimann = Withe/Shaw

Offline Chipsticks

• GM : 22.04.2015
« Reply #78 on: December 13, 2012, 05:30:54 PM »

Richard Dunne
Charles N'Zogbia
Darren Bent
Shay Given

I wouldn't think we'd get a new keeper in Jan so Given would have to stay as cover, and whisper it but there seemed to be a spark about N'Zogbia on Tuesday that I hadn't seen before, he might just kick on and I think Lambert rates him.

Agreed about Zog. He's a player that needs to be motivated and if Lambert can't do it, nobody can.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #79 on: December 13, 2012, 05:44:23 PM »
Lamberts got his plan, he's sticking to it and wont be put of by a load of internet softies saying he must ditch the kids as they are only championship players at best and bring in a bunch of players with experience

we have been crying out for a no nonsense manager for a long while, now we have one who doesnt care about upsetting a few high earners if thats what it takes to build his team and most of us are right behind him,
 as others have said Ron Saunders wasnt mr popular with players and it didnt do him any harm in building a great team

i cant think of any other prem team that has ever changed its whole back 5 (including goalkeeper) completely from one season to the next, especially from a very experienced back 5 to a rather youthfull one, so it was always going to take time and still will, but you can generaly feel we are on the right track

there is absoltely loads to feel optimistic about, and like Sinatra once sang 'the best is yet to come'

Offline VillaAlways

• GM : 23.10.2016
« Reply #80 on: December 13, 2012, 05:47:40 PM »

Richard Dunne
Charles N'Zogbia
Darren Bent
Shay Given

Agreed about Zog. He's a player that needs to be motivated and if Lambert can't do it, nobody can.
I get the impression Lambert really rates the Zog. I really think/hope he comes good

Offline Salsa Party Animal

• Location: Trinity Road Lower Stand or Dance-floor or Bedroom.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Salsapartyanimal
« Reply #81 on: December 13, 2012, 06:23:39 PM »
We are doing very well with two or three key additions and maybe one departure it could be useful. Richard Dunne will notice we are doing well without him, so he will want to grab his chance when he recover from his injury. I think we will have one very big signing in midfield next month and a young upcoming winger.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #82 on: December 13, 2012, 08:36:50 PM »
I think we will have one very big signing in midfield next month and a young upcoming winger.

Very possible.  We may also get a foward if Bent goes.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #83 on: December 13, 2012, 11:47:42 PM »
Lamberts got his plan, he's sticking to it and wont be put of by a load of internet softies saying he must ditch the kids as they are only championship players at best and bring in a bunch of players with experience

we have been crying out for a no nonsense manager for a long while, now we have one who doesnt care about upsetting a few high earners if thats what it takes to build his team and most of us are right behind him,
 as others have said Ron Saunders wasnt mr popular with players and it didnt do him any harm in building a great team

i cant think of any other prem team that has ever changed its whole back 5 (including goalkeeper) completely from one season to the next, especially from a very experienced back 5 to a rather youthfull one, so it was always going to take time and still will, but you can generaly feel we are on the right track

there is absoltely loads to feel optimistic about, and like Sinatra once sang 'the best is yet to come'

Preach on, Brother John.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal