collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Dreams and Superstitions by Richard E
[Today at 10:42:43 PM]

Joe Gauci - Signed by Footy-Vill
[Today at 10:40:44 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Bad English
[Today at 10:33:57 PM]

Claret membership by Bad English
[Today at 10:33:08 PM]

Fan Voted Player of the Year by trinityoap
[Today at 10:32:41 PM]

Aston Villa v Olympiacos - UECL Semi Final First Leg Pre Match by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:26:39 PM]

NSWE Investment by Meanwood Villa
[Today at 10:24:26 PM]

Champions League Contention by Bad English
[Today at 10:22:46 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Villa Dreams and Superstitions by Richard E
[Today at 10:42:43 PM]

Re: Joe Gauci - Signed by Footy-Vill
[Today at 10:40:44 PM]

Re: Joe Gauci - Signed by Dogtanian
[Today at 10:38:29 PM]

Re: Joe Gauci - Signed by Footy-Vill
[Today at 10:36:02 PM]

Re: Villa Dreams and Superstitions by Footy-Vill
[Today at 10:34:03 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Bad English
[Today at 10:33:57 PM]

Re: Claret membership by Bad English
[Today at 10:33:08 PM]

Re: Fan Voted Player of the Year by trinityoap
[Today at 10:32:41 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Reasons to be optimistic coming into 2nd half of season  (Read 14492 times)

Offline Mazrim

Re: Reasons to be optimistic coming into 2nd half of season
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2012, 11:01:10 AM »
Although we have only taken two points from the last twelve

Eh? 6 points surely?

Offline fbriai

• GM : 31.01.2022
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2012, 11:08:29 AM »
It begs the question how much do you want to change this team and risk that but I think anybody Lambert brings in will be selected specifically to fit this group in ability and personality.

Completely agree, Maz.

I think Lambert's constant insistence on the fact that if the players work hard and prove themselves in training then they will get a chance in matches is starting to pay-off. It looks as though they are starting to believe in what he's been telling them and are starting to believe in themselves as well as a result. I would have thought any promising young player looking in from the outside would appreciate being a part of that.

As for last night, whatever else, a 1-4 away from home against an in-form team can only be good for confidence.

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2012, 11:17:34 AM »
I love this villa team. Heroes with potential.

Was delighted to see Clark captain villa last night.

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2012, 11:25:56 AM »
Clark has been destined to captain as long as Alistair Cook has. Inevitable.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2012, 11:33:15 AM »
I can see Westwood being a strong candidate for captain also.

Offline el león Benidorm

• GM : 28.05.2015
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2012, 11:39:17 AM »
Although we have only taken two points from the last twelve

Eh? 6 points surely?

Sorry. Blonde moment...

Online SteveN

• GM : Feb, 2014
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2012, 11:44:59 AM »
I'm not sure I know why and it is difficult to find the correct words but I feel far more "connected" to the present set up at the Villa than I have done for a fair few years.

The Villa is in all of our DNA but sometimes at different levels, I'm back to caring again and have been since Lambert's appointment.

Offline Jarpie

« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2012, 11:46:04 AM »
I can see Westwood being a strong candidate for captain also.

Vlaar, Westwood and Clark are the three obvious choices.

Offline SamTheMouse

• Location: The Land of the Fragrant Founders of Human Rights, Fine Wines & Bikinis
  • GM : 03.11.2024
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2012, 11:53:47 AM »
The great thing about Lambert putting such a young team together, is that provided they stay clear of trouble this season, we can look forward to seeing steady improvement over the next few years. 2013-13 is about putting the foundations in place. If they're solid enough, the sky's the limit.

Offline NeilH

« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2012, 11:54:13 AM »
I'm not sure I know why and it is difficult to find the correct words but I feel far more "connected" to the present set up at the Villa than I have done for a fair few years.

The Villa is in all of our DNA but sometimes at different levels, I'm back to caring again and have been since Lambert's appointment.

I agree with that sentiment. The appointment of Lambert is something virtually all of us wanted and most of the players he has bought have been met with a positive response.
I get a real sense of vested interest and a real desire for the young players in our team to succeed. Its something we have really lacked for a couple of seasons now and it gives me optimism that when things go right, the whole of the crowd responds magnificently.

Offline danno

« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2012, 12:07:22 PM »

I agree with this too, i think its possibly because we're naturally more forgiving of players who aren't fully established. Especially when those who are playing, are clearly giving it their all. The likes of N'zogbia Bent Dunne Ireland annoy us collectively, because they should be bringing more to the table. They all have ability but you do have to question their application sometimes. We finally have a manager who isn't afraid to drop established pros, bruise egos, and who rewards hard work.

Offline richardhubbard

« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2012, 12:27:52 PM »
I said at the start of the season that it would be very similar to Houlliers season. Struggling for consistency for the first part with it coming together towards the end of the season as the players get used playing the system together.

I dont see any similarity to le Mug season!

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2012, 12:32:59 PM »
like many others on this thread i also feel very optimistic about our future under Paul Lambert

he was way down on my list of who i wanted to be the next manager, but i wouldnt swap him now,
it all boils down to whether you believe what he is building is going to work with all the young players etc,
 he has changed the whole team virtually, the back 5 including the goalie has completly changed, so it was always going to take some time, but its whether you can see it coming together or not,
theres plenty of folk who cant, they just see our position in the league and all the inexperience, and cant believe it will work, i do,

to coin a phrase from Chrismas time
I believe

Offline Quiet Lion

• GM : Feb, 2013
« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2012, 12:41:31 PM »
I will be a hell of a lot more optimistic if we can get a few more points on the board.

It is entirely conceivable that we will reach the halfway point of the season with 16 points. Unless we significantly improve our haul in the second half we will be right in the mix of the relegation places come May.

So although there are clear signs of improvement we also seem a bit fragile, an injury to Benteke for example would completely derail our season.

Online Billy Walker

« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2012, 12:43:32 PM »
The great thing about Lambert putting such a young team together, is that provided they stay clear of trouble this season, we can look forward to seeing steady improvement over the next few years. 2013-13 is about putting the foundations in place. If they're solid enough, the sky's the limit.

I think we have the basis of something very exciting too.  The key thing is that Paul Faulkner and Randy Lerner recognise and understand this also.  I hope our Boardroom understands now that a strategy has to  be in place to rebuild and grow the commercial side of the club in parallel to the development of this team.  For example, I genuinely believe we could have a side good enough to challenge for top six/top four by next season.  I would hope the club is looking for potential sponsorship (I think the Genting deal finishes at the end of this season) to reflect this ambition and to help us push on.

If, in the next couple of seasons, these players develop as we all hope they should, I hope our Boardroom is thinking ahead and strategically getting a well thought-out wage structure together to make them want to stay with us and win trophies with us.  Vultures will start circling soon enough and I hope very much that we are ready to swat them away, sending signals of our own out that we are back in the game.

I feel a whole lot happier that Randy has no more Cleveland Browns to worry about.  I hope he is now 100% focused on getting Villa back to the very top.  This is a crucial time for us at boardroom level, if we get the planning and thinking right, real, sustained success could follow.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal