collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Reasons to be optimistic coming into 2nd half of season  (Read 14484 times)

Offline Mazrim

Re: Reasons to be optimistic coming into 2nd half of season
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2012, 09:28:49 AM »
The team is finding its way. Increasingly, the consistency is coming. We controlled the game against Stoke and were unlucky not to have won it. A bit more attacking balance would have been good but there you go. I honestly dont think we have the points we've deserved so far but they'll come. I'm not worried.

We certainly saw a glimpse of the future last night. Hopefully it will click more as it did against Norwich because I honestly believe we're well on the way to being a comfortable top 8 side again. That may take another window or two and the natuarl experience these players will gain in that time but it's mostly all looking good.

Young hungry players, high work rate, a desire to keep the ball, a new found stinginess at the back, the emergence of Guzan as a top keeper, tactical flexibility and best of all: motivation. The players look or seem happy and motivated.
It begs the question how much do you want to change this team and risk that but I think anybody Lambert brings in will be selected specifically to fit this group in ability and personality.

There will be setbacks ahead and possiblly sooner rather than later but this is season one. There are bound to be some teething problems. I know all most of us ask for is a promise of better things around the corner and with the team we have, the continuing great potential of the academy and some resources thrown at it from the owner, there is plenty of that.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2012, 09:31:45 AM »
I think we've got ourselves a truly great manager in the making.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2012, 09:35:22 AM »
I'm happy as I've ever been with the Villa I like what PL is trying to do it will take time but the end results will be worth waiting for we have some really good young players at Villa and I can see them only getting better long may it continue.

Offline TonyD

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2012, 09:37:14 AM »
Positive thread on a positive night inspired by Paulie Post

I feel we may be starting to build something good based on not losing in 5 games

Younger players in recent weeks starting to grow in confidence

Suddenly Weinmann, Clark, Baker , Lichaj, Bannan and Herd now getting runs are looking very decent players

Lowton, Benteke and Westwood look very decent young players

Vlaar and Holman have found their feet in English Football

If Nzgobia and Ireland can add some performance i think we could have good second half to season, mid table , some good football and may be even a final

Agreed.   The defence is shaping up and we are keeping the ball in midfield.  Just the last third of the pitch to get right.

Sadly I don't think Bent, Ireland and Zog will make it for the Villa for different reasons and if I was PL would ship them out next month and reinvest the money. 

Offline nigel

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2012, 09:46:24 AM »
I said at the start of the season that it would be very similar to Houlliers season. Struggling for consistency for the first part with it coming together towards the end of the season as the players get used playing the system together.

Offline Jarpie

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2012, 09:47:30 AM »
The team is finding its way. Increasingly, the consistency is coming. We controlled the game against Stoke and were unlucky not to have won it. A bit more attacking balance would have been good but there you go. I honestly dont think we have the points we've deserved so far but they'll come. I'm not worried.

We certainly saw a glimpse of the future last night. Hopefully it will click more as it did against Norwich because I honestly believe we're well on the way to being a comfortable top 8 side again. That may take another window or two and the natuarl experience these players will gain in that time but it's mostly all looking good.

Young hungry players, high work rate, a desire to keep the ball, a new found stinginess at the back, the emergence of Guzan as a top keeper, tactical flexibility and best of all: motivation. The players look or seem happy and motivated.
It begs the question how much do you want to change this team and risk that but I think anybody Lambert brings in will be selected specifically to fit this group in ability and personality.

There will be setbacks ahead and possiblly sooner rather than later but this is season one. There are bound to be some teething problems. I know all most of us ask for is a promise of better things around the corner and with the team we have, the continuing great potential of the academy and some resources thrown at it from the owner, there is plenty of that.

Top post Mazrim, hopefully Lambert and his scouts have unearthed some more great signings in the vein of Bentekkers, Lowton and Westwood. How many of us truly thought Guzan would be our number one goalie this season, and that he'd be so good and composed?

Couple of our own young lads seems to be finding themselves again, albeit some of them inconsistently (Delph, Bannan and Weimann). Hopefully this good run has instilled much needed confidence into the team to get through the three tough games even if we wouldn't win any of them.

I loved what Lambert said in the start of the season that "You don't know how good you are unless someone gives you the chance to show what you can do" and that summarizes him and his way of thinking pretty much, and I really like it.

As someone who's kinda looking to inside from the outside I've seen that biggest problem with all premier league clubs has been that they won't give chances to young players to show what they can do, so at least for my eyes the academy work by english clubs (especially premier league) goes to waste.

Offline eastie

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2012, 09:57:04 AM »
Things are looking up and confidence growing - a couple of quality additions in January and we could not only find ourselves in mid table this season but back in europe with silverware on the table .

The future looks bright.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2012, 09:58:41 AM »
It's coming together and Lowton, Westwood and Benteke look like excellent signing. We need to start picking up wins now and we'll be on our way. Hopefully last night was the catalyst.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2012, 10:01:18 AM »
There are promising signs that both the signings and home grown players are starting to find their feet in the PL.  However it remains a fairly high risk strategy putting all the faith in them and I still think we need at least a couple of solid additions in January.  A dominant, dynamic midfielder and someone who can create things in the final third.

Offline Can Gana Be Bettered!?!?

« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2012, 10:02:14 AM »
Positive thread on a positive night inspired by Paulie Post

I feel we may be starting to build something good based on not losing in 5 games

Younger players in recent weeks starting to grow in confidence

Suddenly Weinmann, Clark, Baker , Lichaj, Bannan and Herd now getting runs are looking very decent players

Lowton, Benteke and Westwood look very decent young players

Vlaar and Holman have found their feet in English Football

If Nzgobia and Ireland can add some performance i think we could have good second half to season, mid table , some good football and may be even a final

Agreed.   The defence is shaping up and we are keeping the ball in midfield.  Just the last third of the pitch to get right.

Sadly I don't think Bent, Ireland and Zog will make it for the Villa for different reasons and if I was PL would ship them out next month and reinvest the money. 

I, on the other hand, would keep them all for the season. Sounded like N'Zogbia got involved when he came on last night and Bent started off well also. If you can get these players playing with confidence and playing with a team spirit, then they're worth having.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2012, 10:02:17 AM »
There are promising signs that both the signings and home grown players are starting to find their feet in the PL.  However it remains a fairly high risk strategy putting all the faith in them and I still think we need at least a couple of solid additions in January.  A dominant, dynamic midfielder and someone who can create things in the final third.

Agreed.

Offline remy

• Claret & Blue Flag ALWAYS flapping
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2012, 10:21:03 AM »
I think the sale of Darren Bent is inevitable. We suckered Liverpool into paying over the odds for Downing, hopefully we can do it again. I really trust PL to bring in some cracking good, hungry players for us in exchange and build on the way he wants us to play. That equaliser from Holman I keep playing again and again. Wow.

Offline eastie

« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2012, 10:29:19 AM »
I think the sale of Darren Bent is inevitable. We suckered Liverpool into paying over the odds for Downing, hopefully we can do it again. I really trust PL to bring in some cracking good, hungry players for us in exchange and build on the way he wants us to play. That equaliser from Holman I keep playing again and again. Wow.

Yes it's nice to see Holman starting to score goals , that is something we've missed from midfield and the signs are encouraging.

Offline mrastonvilla

« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2012, 10:53:23 AM »
The club and first team are progressing, maybe not quite quickly enough at the moment to make the league table comfortable reading but our position will improve given more time. Our form over the last 10 games is a vast improvement on the begining of the season.

The young lads that looked stranded and completely overwhelmed at the end of last season are coming on nicely and now look organised and like they can make it in the premier league, and should get better still. Paul Lambert with his emphasis on youth is an ideal manager to help them progress and get the best out of them. Add to this the creative signings that were made over the summer who will also hopefully improve further and its going to be a fun time being a villa fan.

The other thing that is an enormous positive is the emphasis that the manager has been putting on the importance of getting behind the team and the influence supporters in general on team performance. When he says that the support has helped during a game you get the feeling he actually means it rather than it just being a sound bite for the club to use.

We haven't always got what we have deserved from games (Stoke coming to VP and setting up for a point was a compliment in my opinion!) but I'm finding myself enjoying going to the match again after what has been far too long.

Offline el león Benidorm

• GM : 28.05.2015
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2012, 10:57:24 AM »
Although we have only taken two points from the last twelve, the football has been good - citeh away the exception. Hopefully with a couple of additions we will continue to improve.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal