collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Protective Nets around PL pitches  (Read 12081 times)

Offline bertlambshank

• GM : 30.06.2019
Re: Protective Nets around PL pitches
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2012, 03:19:20 PM »
Since when has the PFA been for the good of the game.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2012, 03:26:56 PM »
Surely a coin would go through a net anyway?

Offline 144 Hard Boiled Eggs

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2012, 03:42:05 PM »
Memories of nets between the kop and the tilton in the 1970's with darts and spark-plugs hanging off them.

Offline MarkM

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2012, 03:50:24 PM »
There needs to be some perspective, putting nets up in my view sends the wrong message

What happens if things are thrown allong the sides of the pitch? are we going to put nets up all around the ground?

May as well just go back to the fences.

Online Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2012, 04:23:26 PM »
Maybe football clubs could deploy Israel’s Iron Dome Defence System in their stadiums. If it can intercept Palestinian rockets it should be able to neutralise hotdogs, burgers, plastic bottles , small coins and other potentially lethal projectiles.

Our footballers need more protection and this should be a priority.

Come on Platini, si vous plait

Offline MarkM

« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2012, 04:40:28 PM »
Maybe football clubs could deploy Israel’s Iron Dome Defence System in their stadiums. If it can intercept Palestinian rockets it should be able to neutralise hotdogs, burgers, plastic bottles , small coins and other potentially lethal projectiles.

Our footballers need more protection and this should be a priority.

Come on Platini, si vous plait

HOw about American Secret Service style body guards.

They can throw themselves in front of our poor underpaid footballers and take the impact from the missles thrown

Mind you I cant see many doing it to protect Ferdinand

Offline MonsXI

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2012, 04:47:20 PM »
How about using all the cctv cameras fixed on the stands to catch the "throwers" instead of using them to see whose standing?

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2012, 05:11:12 PM »
After some of the garbage we've seen served up over the last couple of seasons a brick wall would be appropriate.

Seriously though, players shouldn't have to put up with that. I hope it doesn't come to netting but it will only take a couple more incidents of wankers chucking stuff and it will become impossible to argue against it.         

Offline levico

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2012, 05:25:46 PM »
At least a net would protect fans in the upper Holte when Albrighton crosses.

Offline Apyadg

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2012, 06:25:47 PM »
How about using all the cctv cameras fixed on the stands to catch the "throwers" instead of using them to see whose standing?

Agreed.

I'm not entirely against nets. I think they're a safe alternative to fences, and lets face it, this incident involving Ferdinand is hardly a one off, it happens fairly regularly.

I see two problems with it, however, firstly, as someone else pointed out, a coin will go through most nets, and the tighter the netting, the more it obscures the view of fans. Secondly, in any game that there's coins going towards the pitch, they're likely to be flying in to and away from the away end too, are we going to surround the pitch with netting, and also surround the away end with it?

CCTV may be a better solution, you'd think they'd be able to narrow down who the culprits are by the seat numbers if there's sufficient coverage of the stands.

Does any other sport have this problem? It's ridiculous that this sort of thing has to be discussed at this point.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 06:27:47 PM by Apyadg »

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2012, 06:30:58 PM »
Surely away players should be able to celebrate a last minute winner in a derby game in front of their own fans? It's not like he did a Collymore and stood in front of the opposition fans staring at them with arms outstretched openly goading them.
How about if Gabby had been hit at the Sty after one of his late winners? Or Young and Laursen as they ran past a stand full of Evertonians with hands behind their ears after THAT goal (cue Legion).

As big a twat as Ferdinand is, he could easily have been blinded and to me, it shouldn't just be brushed under the carpet as one of those things that happen at football.

Fond memories:

Offline TonyD

« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2012, 06:35:50 PM »
Bring back the SPG. 

Offline The Left Side

« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2012, 06:37:08 PM »
Surely away players should be able to celebrate a last minute winner in a derby game in front of their own fans? It's not like he did a Collymore and stood in front of the opposition fans staring at them with arms outstretched openly goading them.
How about if Gabby had been hit at the Sty after one of his late winners? Or Young and Laursen as they ran past a stand full of Evertonians with hands behind their ears after THAT goal (cue Legion).

As big a twat as Ferdinand is, he could easily have been blinded and to me, it shouldn't just be brushed under the carpet as one of those things that happen at football.

Fond memories:

Superb

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2012, 06:37:23 PM »
Bring back the SPG. 

He was great in the Young Ones.

Offline DeKuip

« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2012, 06:38:45 PM »
Gordon Taylor needs to appreciate that week in, week out, 99.99% of football fans throw their hard-earned money straight into his greedy overpaid players' pockets. These players are at far more risk of a career-threatening injury from their fellow PFA members than they are from supporters, so stop over-reacting.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal