collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 3-5-2.  (Read 13676 times)

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
Re: 3-5-2.
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2012, 11:58:09 PM »
He spent most of his youth and Newcastle career playing left-back.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2012, 12:12:58 AM »
Indeed. A fact that is surprisingly often overlooked.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2012, 10:03:42 AM »
He's played left back for France too I think.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2012, 01:56:04 PM »
He used to get found out in that position too. He's also said that he never enjoyed playing there - in fact, he thought he was too good to be playing left back and thought he was a left sided midfielder. I really doubt he has the engine for the position.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2012, 05:50:13 PM »
Agreed N'zogbia has never given the impression he has any defensive capabilites whatsoever. Mind you never has he on the attacking side.

Be interesting to see how Bennett or Stevens would look in that position but I'd rather just see it in away games.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2012, 06:26:18 PM »
Bennett is the man for the left wing back role, which I think would give us a lot more momentum going forwards in this formation.

Still need the tip of the diamond to be a better player than those we have though, and we need other options to Gabby and Benteke. To be able to pull them off at 60 minutes for a more cunning pair would be useful.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2012, 06:43:10 PM »
Bennett is the man for the left wing back role, which I think would give us a lot more momentum going forwards in this formation.

Still need the tip of the diamond to be a better player than those we have though, and we need other options to Gabby and Benteke. To be able to pull them off at 60 minutes for a more cunning pair would be useful.

Agree with your point about Bennett Ozz.  If we are going to continue with the 3-5-2 we are definitely going to need someone in the attacking midfielder role.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2012, 08:09:53 PM »
I still think 4231 is the long term plan as the main shape for the side.

As I mentioned on the stoke post match thread for this window we need to focus on the 3.  If we could get a couple of 2 footed players who can play left/centre and right/centre either right up top or just off a front man we'd be in a really strong position, squad wise.

I know it's fashionable to slate him for the diving now but 2 ashley young style players (but preferably a bit more physical) would be perfect right now, good running with the ball, can go wide and cross or can come in and shoot, and without the ball are willing to get into the box and make an extra option.

Offline villan from luton

« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2012, 10:07:35 PM »
Lambert seems to be sorting the defence out, I am sure he will then be looking at the offensive side, so far he has only bought Benteke. I really think Lambert will do a cracking job for this club.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2012, 10:21:49 PM »
I still think 4231 is the long term plan as the main shape for the side.

As I mentioned on the stoke post match thread for this window we need to focus on the 3.  If we could get a couple of 2 footed players who can play left/centre and right/centre either right up top or just off a front man we'd be in a really strong position, squad wise.

I know it's fashionable to slate him for the diving now but 2 ashley young style players (but preferably a bit more physical) would be perfect right now, good running with the ball, can go wide and cross or can come in and shoot, and without the ball are willing to get into the box and make an extra option.

Young and Downing either side of Benteke would be awesome in fairness.

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2012, 11:22:46 PM »
I can't help but feel that he's made the switch to three at the back at least in part to compensate for the temporary loss of Vlaar by relying on defensive safety in numbers. I'm sure there would be other reasons as well, but it does seem to benefit the younger players to have teammates very nearby in tight situations. I liked the way that the wide centre-backs became full-backs and the full-backs wingers in possession.

Offline villan from luton

« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2012, 11:25:58 PM »
I can't help but feel that he's made the switch to three at the back at least in part to compensate for the temporary loss of Vlaar by relying on defensive safety in numbers. I'm sure there would be other reasons as well, but it does seem to benefit the younger players to have teammates very nearby in tight situations. I liked the way that the wide centre-backs became full-backs and the full-backs wingers in possession.

good point actually and good the lads have responded to it

Offline supertom

« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2012, 01:36:35 PM »
If we play with two wing-backs, I think we can sacrifice something defensively on one side. Lowton is solid. We need better than Lichaj on the left certainly.
I think CNZ has looked more determined this season. Put in more effort. The confidence is still a long way off, but I'd give him a try at LWB. The beauty of the 3 at the back system, is you have cover, and we have two left footed CH's to cover that side if he's gone missing. Ditto, the only place I can really see for Delph right now, is LWB. His touch isn't good enough in CM. His pace would be useful. The way Lambert is, players know, if you want in, you play where you're told and you don't shirk. If CNZ wants to play for us, he'll play where-ever he's told and likes it. If not, then we ship him off and buy better. I hope he rises to it, because he could offer something offensively we're really missing and that's a bit of flair and invention. I could seeing him playing ahead of BB and Westy too.

I think this system is showing signs of being our way forward. I like it. Get a decent flair player attacking mid, and a better front man to partner Benteke, and we'll be much better.

I think Bannan and Westy play very well together, so for me, they're starting to look like a fixture. BB is starting to finally mature too. His decision making has been a lot better, and he's beginning to find some consistency.

Offline supertom

« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2012, 01:38:46 PM »

good point actually and good the lads have responded to it
How he's found it I don't know, but I hope he sticks with it a little while because there's promise. I also think we've looked more solid since Vlaar's been out funnily enough. I think he'll have a battle to regain his place. Herd was brilliant yesterday. I can't see Baker or Clark being dropped on current form either. They're both looking like potential internationals.

Offline Summers

« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2012, 01:49:47 PM »
352 is perhaps just the plan while Vlaar is out. Losing his presence was a blow, so adding an extra defender to counter that loss was smart.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal