collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: New Shirt Sponsor by Risso
[Today at 09:56:27 AM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Clampy
[Today at 09:55:48 AM]

Re: New Shirt Sponsor by Dogtanian
[Today at 09:55:24 AM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Simon Page
[Today at 09:53:33 AM]

Re: NSWE Investment by LeeS
[Today at 09:52:38 AM]

Re: New Shirt Sponsor by LeeB
[Today at 09:47:55 AM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by LeeS
[Today at 09:41:27 AM]

Re: GUESS THE CROWD R26: ASTON VILLA v Chelsea, Saturday, 27th April!🥧 by maidstonevillain
[Today at 09:34:08 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 3-5-2.  (Read 13725 times)

Offline bruisedshins

Re: 3-5-2.
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2012, 08:07:25 PM »
3-5-2/5-3-2 worked a treat back in the days of Little when you had Wright and Charles bombing down the wings. You need two quick wing backs who are full of running and will run until they drop otherwise it leaves you exposed.

In principle i think it's worth a go but you have to have two hard working full backs. Who would these be, Lowton and Stevens? I see that Heard was shoe horned in at the back which just shows that perhaps we don't have the necessary centre backs to play this formation every week.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2012, 09:44:27 PM »
I'm a fan of 3-5-2 but it lives or dies on two key factors:
- quick and skillful Wing-backs;
- footballing CB.

Saturday was an interesting diversion by Lambert and as he gets more confient about his squad I'd expect these sorts of changes more frequently.

I've said before: I see Delph as a left Wing-Back in a 3-5-2.

Online tomd2103

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2012, 12:24:18 PM »
Mat Kendrick in the Evening Mail is suggesting that Lambert might stick with the 3-5-2 formation tomorrow, which I don't think would be a bad idea.  With three at the back, we could have two cenmtre-halves challenging for the ball in the air and a sweeper behind them picking up any flick-ons.  Clark would probably be the one to drop off and pick up any pieces.

Offline pedro25

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2012, 12:39:42 PM »
Out of Herd and Lowton which one would partner Baker and which one would be wing back assuming Vlaar is out?  I don't really see Lichaj as a left wing back, but who else is there? Delph? N'Zog?  I'd probably bring Ireland in for Bannan, don't think there is much between them right now so would rotate to keep them fresh.  Westwood over KEA, but again maybe bring KEA in for a start or 2 over the busy winter period to stop others burning out.

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2012, 12:42:17 PM »
We've just hit some good form and look like we've found a working formation. Not sure I'd like to change it already.

Offline eastie

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2012, 12:58:50 PM »
                     Guzan

Vlaar.    Baker.    Clark

Lowton.   Westwood.  Bannan.  Ireland    Bennett

Benteke.     Bent

When all fit I'd like to go with that line up.

Offline nick harper

• GM : Feb, 2012
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2012, 01:04:46 PM »
                     Guzan

Benteke.     Bent

N'Zogbia would be my left wing back. Think he would be a real thr
                     Guzan

Benteke.     Bent

I'd have N'Zogbia as the left wing back. Would give us much more of a threat going forward whcih is key to having wingbacks. Appreciate he would need to improve his work rate, but he isn't going to get back in anyway unless he demonstrates that to Lambert.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2012, 01:11:22 PM »
The thing with 3-5-2 is that you need two of your best players to be the wing-backs.  Even if they are absolutely top-notch at both defence and attack, any time they come up against two very good wide players, they'll spend their whole time defending and so lose any attacking presence in the opponent's half.  When we used the system under Little, it worked best when we used Tommy Johnson as the link man between midfield and attack.  I suppose Ireland could play that role, but then we don't have anybody of the quality of Townsend or Draper to assist him these days.  Back in the 90s, when Ian Taylor took Johnson's spot in the team, it rendered 3-5-2 far less effective.  Personally I'd rather it stayed back in the 90s alongside Global Hypercolour T-shirts and Britpop.

Offline eastie

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2012, 01:55:19 PM »
                     Guzan

Benteke.     Bent

N'Zogbia would be my left wing back. Think he would be a real thr
                     Guzan

Benteke.     Bent

I'd have N'Zogbia as the left wing back. Would give us much more of a threat going forward whcih is key to having wingbacks. Appreciate he would need to improve his work rate, but he isn't going to get back in anyway unless he demonstrates that to Lambert.

I agree nzogbia would give maybe more attacking threat as a wing back but his workrate is poor and I think he would leave us exposed too often- Bennett once match fit and settled I think will be a decent player and I'd give him and Lowton a go as wing backs .

Online tomd2103

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2012, 04:37:19 PM »
Out of Herd and Lowton which one would partner Baker and which one would be wing back assuming Vlaar is out?  I don't really see Lichaj as a left wing back, but who else is there? Delph? N'Zog?  I'd probably bring Ireland in for Bannan, don't think there is much between them right now so would rotate to keep them fresh.  Westwood over KEA, but again maybe bring KEA in for a start or 2 over the busy winter period to stop others burning out.

From what Kendrick was saying in the Evening Mail, Lowton would be wing-back and Herd one of the three centre-backs.  I don't think Lowton and Lichaj get forward that well, so we would be looking at more of a 5-3-2.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2012, 08:17:44 PM »
Having read the kendrick piece it gives the distinct impression of a journo who's been given precisely no insights into the manager's thinking for tomorrow

352 could work well against stoke, but it probably involves lichaj at left back but that can't be a good thing!

Online tomd2103

« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2012, 09:42:55 PM »
                     Guzan

Benteke.     Bent

Would agree with that line up for the time being Eastie.   If we were to stick with that formation going forward, we would probably only need a more natural right wing-back (think Lowton would be more suited to RCB in that formation)and a central midfielder in the transfer window.   

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2012, 09:53:13 PM »
Nzogbia has played a fair few games at LB so could be considered for the left wing back position.
If he can be arsed of course.
no no no no noooooooo

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2012, 10:12:51 PM »
Nzogbia has played a fair few games at LB so could be considered for the left wing back position.
If he can be arsed of course.
no no no no noooooooo

why not?

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2012, 11:51:32 PM »
N'Zogbia would too readily neglect his defensive responsibilities. In that formation you need someone who can basically occupy 2 positions - getting forward and back all game. Even if his work ethic has miraculously changed, he won't have the fitness levels for a good while having only been back in training for 2 days.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal