collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Barry Bannan-What does he do ?  (Read 28658 times)

Offline ACVilla

• GM : 16.03.2017
Re: Barry Bannan-What does he do ?
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2012, 07:49:19 PM »
Didn't he get motm on Saturday as well?

Offline seanthevillan

• pick our team
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2012, 07:53:55 PM »
I don't rate him at all & never have done
one footed, useless in the air the odd reasonable pass amongst plenty of poor ones

I'm no fan of Ireland, but he's much better than little Bannan

Despite attempting far more difficult passes than Westwood, Bannan has a pass accuracy of just under 80% for the season - Westwood has 85% but has barely put a cross in and does not attempt key passes as a rule.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2012, 07:54:36 PM »
I can't believe people are saying take him off corners and free kicks. He sent in some proper wicked corners last night.

Just a quick look back over our recent games and how many corners we've had:

Reading: 8
Arsenal: 7
Man City: 4
Man Utd: 5
Sunderland: 7

Can you honestly say we're making them count? Half of them don't get past the the first man.

With a bit more luck we could have scored at least three from them last night.

True but overall most have been poor. If his corners like his game keep improving, you'll have no complaints from me.

Offline ACVilla

• GM : 16.03.2017
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2012, 07:56:51 PM »
I can't believe people are saying take him off corners and free kicks. He sent in some proper wicked corners last night.

Just a quick look back over our recent games and how many corners we've had:

Reading: 8
Arsenal: 7
Man City: 4
Man Utd: 5
Sunderland: 7

Can you honestly say we're making them count? Half of them don't get past the the first man.

With a bit more luck we could have scored at least three from them last night.

True but overall most have been poor. If his corners like his game keep improving, you'll have no complaints from me.
With the run of games he is getting then I can only see him improving with the confidence he must be gaining.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2012, 08:39:25 PM »
I'm undecided regarding Bannan.  He has a lot of ability with the ball but seems to apply it very inconsistently.  I've not been impressed with the way he dominates the free kick and corner taking, although Westwood is now taking some.  His delivery on those has generally been poor for me, although it has started to improve a little as he seems to be trying to whip them in a bit more.  It's a shame he doesn't have a bit more pace  to compensate for his lack of physical presence. A decent enough player who has the potential to get better, perhaps once he's more sure of his standing in the team.

Offline paulcomben

• GM : Oct, 2013
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2012, 09:04:28 PM »
About 110mph whilst under the influence on the M1.

Offline The Left Side

« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2012, 09:08:46 PM »

Then he legs it!

Online andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2012, 09:11:44 PM »
What pisses me off about him is the 'apparent' billy big bollox attitude. I am sick of him waving his arms and giving bollockings to other players when they don't anticipate his wayward passing. All this when often giving the ball away in dangerous positions and putting us under serious pressure. He did both of these things a few times last night.
Just play your fucking game Bannan.
Stop bollocking other players.
Stop giving the ball away.
Learn to cross.
Do these, and with your obvious talent, you just might be ok.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2012, 11:01:08 PM »
Can't say I'm a fan of him.

A lot of that is down to off the pitch as seen him in coral bookies by the yenton a couple of times and obviously the drinking issues.

I'm not saying he has to live like a monk but the penny needs to drop like it did for Gareth Barry all those years ago.

On the pitch, he's what I'd call a continuity midfield, someone who's neither defensive nor attacking but keeps attacks going by moving the ball quickly and not losing it.

Trouble is he constantly does these stupid long balls that just go to the opposition. I think Westwood is better at that side of the game and I'd also have Ireland over him every time aswell.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2012, 11:17:44 PM »
His tackling is non existent

Did pull off one cracking tackle in the first half last night.

Offline not3bad

« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2012, 11:21:16 PM »
He can't take a corner

Thought he took a few good ones last night.  A couple of bad ones true, but one particular one in the second half was very frustrating because it seemed to go past about 3 Villa players as it curved in to the goal and it seemed one of them only needed to stick their foot out and it would have been a goal

Offline danlanza

« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2012, 11:33:38 PM »

Then he legs it!
And gets barred from the Belfry Golf course for ignoring Greenkeepers requests not to drive his buggy onto the tees.

Offline not3bad

« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2012, 11:59:27 PM »
Last night was a classic example. In the second half he gave the ball away or ran into one of their players (i forget which) and the chap behind me went beserk. A minute or two later he laid a superb ball out to the flank and the chap behind me did'nt say a word.

I've seen (or heard) this done so many times at Villa Park (not just to Bannan) it's not funny.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 10:04:01 AM by not3bad »

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2012, 12:30:41 AM »
It seems we have been having this conversation about Bannan for the past two seasons now and as far as I can see, he hasn't really made any significant improvement since he first came into the side.  If Westwood is going to play, we need a physical presence alongside him who can be a real driving force.  Bannan isn't that type of player and from what I have seen of him over the past two years, I just can't see him being the type of player who is going to take us forward. 

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2012, 02:33:50 AM »
This thread is funny. Not because people have ridiculous opinions on the chap (I'm undecided. I did like the way the bloke on Sky mimicked his LucozadeSportLite guzzling mid-sentence when being interviewed after the game last night) but just humorous in general. I doubt you get this level of repartee on the "What does lipgloss do?" thread on the Cosmopolitan forum.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal