collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by ChicagoLion
[Today at 12:32:43 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:23:44 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by ChicagoLion
[Today at 12:19:45 PM]

Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 12:09:23 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 12:05:29 PM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 11:52:46 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by ChicagoLion
[Today at 12:32:43 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:23:44 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 12:19:57 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by ChicagoLion
[Today at 12:19:45 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Skerra
[Today at 12:18:27 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by john2710
[Today at 12:11:45 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 12:09:23 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by ez
[Today at 12:07:46 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Barry Bannan-What does he do ?  (Read 28558 times)

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
Re: Barry Bannan-What does he do ?
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2012, 06:40:18 PM »
I like the fact he's knuckled down and is prepared to graft, because with those good habits in place and another dozen games under his belt I think we'll start to see him show the full range of his talents.

Probably the player I want to succeed more than any other.

Offline bertlambshank

• GM : 30.06.2019
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2012, 06:42:50 PM »
He can't take a corner,but the defensive work he has been putting him means I overlook his bad passing,for now.

Online ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2012, 07:00:29 PM »
He never hides i'll give him that but Ireland is better value,Westwood has come on and now looks comfortable, after January Barry will get fewer opportunities as it must be the one area we will strengthen.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2012, 07:06:57 PM »
I appreciate how Lambert & co have got BB playing much better this season; he has made good progress. I'm confident that we'll continue to see that. The time to evaluate whether he really is an EPL player is toward the end of the season (and that is not a sly reference to possible relegation!).
Last season, I thought he was not going to make the top-flight grade - partially because of his physique and partly attitude. The latter has improved and his ability may be enough to counteract the disavantage of the former.

Offline claretandbeer

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2012, 07:11:32 PM »
A few points to address here. First,Dunne is an irrelevance,he's not played this season.
Back to Bannan. Full range of talents? What talents ?
If he was so good at dribbling,passing and in possession of an accurate shot as others have claimed,then why is he not playing in an attacking midfield role behind Benetke where Ireland,KEA and Holman have played ?
As for tracking back ,his inability to do this,leaving his full back isolated persuaded Houllier and TSM  from continuing him in a wide role where Scotland played him.A position where he could deliver fast dipping crosses.Lack of pace and hence dribbling ability also meant he could not succeed here.
So ,we select him as a holding midfielder where his weaknesses are even more apparent.My judgement formed over the last 2 seasons and more is that he doesn't track opponents,watching the ball but not a player making a run and does not close down players allowing them to make easy forward passes.
He's been part of a struggling team for more than 2 seasons and I think that he 's one of the problems not one of the solutions.
It would be great,honestly,to be proved wrong as I want Villa players to succeed ,but having watched him over time ,I can't see a Xavi or Pirlo emerging.
Ironically,my first viewing of Bannan was in a Youth League final v Citeh where he was sensational. But you don't get that time and space at the top

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2012, 07:22:03 PM »
[quotoue author=Montbert link=topic=48424.msg2186754#msg2186754 date=1354124428]
Your criticisms would be valid if yesterday's shocker from him was how he plays every match. But it isn't.
[/quote]

This is just it. He has a couple of good games and it's he's improving and looking good. He throws in an ineffective perfomance like last night and then it's he's not good enough.

Last night was a classic example. In the second half he gave the ball away or ran into one of their players (i forget which) and the chap behind me went beserk. A minute or two later he laid a superb ball out to the flank and the chap behind me did'nt say a word. I'm not sure what people are expecting sometimes, he's not Ineista or Cowans. Him and Ireland make the midfield look better when they play and they're definatley an improvement than when KEA and Delph are in there.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2012, 07:27:59 PM »
claretandbeer: you don't rate him - I get it. No need for an essay everytime you say it.

Offline LeeB

« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2012, 07:31:57 PM »
[quotoue author=Montbert link=topic=48424.msg2186754#msg2186754 date=1354124428]
Your criticisms would be valid if yesterday's shocker from him was how he plays every match. But it isn't.

This is just it. He has a couple of good games and it's he's improving and looking good. He throws in an ineffective perfomance like last night and then it's he's not good enough.

Last night was a classic example. In the second half he gave the ball away or ran into one of their players (i forget which) and the chap behind me went beserk. A minute or two later he laid a superb ball out to the flank and the chap behind me did'nt say a word. I'm not sure what people are expecting sometimes, he's not Ineista or Cowans. Him and Ireland make the midfield look better when they play and they're definatley an improvement than when KEA and Delph are in there.

[/quote]

I actually think he feeds off Ireland well, they look like they've got a rapport with each other, the kind that with more games together could make us tick.

Offline LeeB

« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2012, 07:33:44 PM »
claretandbeer: you don't rate him - I get it. No need for an essay everytime you say it.

Why say one word when you can say a thousand.

I've had to check in the kitchen to make sure it's not my missus posting.

Offline ACVilla

• GM : 16.03.2017
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2012, 07:37:46 PM »
I can't believe people are saying take him off corners and free kicks. He sent in some proper wicked corners last night. He is also on penalty duties at the moment and righty so I would say.

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2012, 07:38:30 PM »
Any player who is willing to run for 90 minutes is worth encouraging.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2012, 07:42:57 PM »
I can't believe people are saying take him off corners and free kicks. He sent in some proper wicked corners last night.

Just a quick look back over our recent games and how many corners we've had:

Reading: 8
Arsenal: 7
Man City: 4
Man Utd: 5
Sunderland: 7

Can you honestly say we're making them count? Half of them don't get past the the first man.

Offline Broughty-Villian

« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2012, 07:46:23 PM »
I wonder what peoples lives are really like when Bannan one of our better players gets a post like this, and the other day it was Lambert out....WTF.

I really wonder how shit their lives must be...

Offline ACVilla

• GM : 16.03.2017
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2012, 07:48:00 PM »
I can't believe people are saying take him off corners and free kicks. He sent in some proper wicked corners last night.

Just a quick look back over our recent games and how many corners we've had:

Reading: 8
Arsenal: 7
Man City: 4
Man Utd: 5
Sunderland: 7

Can you honestly say we're making them count? Half of them don't get past the the first man.

With a bit more luck we could have scored at least three from them last night.

Offline the-farmer

• GM : Nov, 2013
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2012, 07:48:19 PM »
I don't rate him at all & never have done
one footed, useless in the air the odd reasonable pass amongst plenty of poor ones

I'm no fan of Ireland, but he's much better than little Bannan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal