collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 07:02:54 PM]

Re: FFP by LeeB
[Today at 06:59:38 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Toronto Villa
[Today at 06:56:28 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 06:51:04 PM]

Re: FFP by Somniloquism
[Today at 06:50:22 PM]

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 06:48:48 PM]

Re: FFP by Somniloquism
[Today at 06:44:10 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Exeter 77
[Today at 06:32:41 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Baker plays like a proper centre half  (Read 9260 times)

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
Re: Baker plays like a proper centre half
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2012, 04:19:48 PM »
I'm guessing it's meant to be "since the mid 90s"

Offline Surrey Villain

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2012, 04:32:20 PM »
I'm guessing it's meant to be "since the mid 90s"

or 'the mid noughties'.

Offline Keeno

• Twitter
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2012, 06:53:14 PM »
Martin Laursen about him (God I miss him, and it was great to see him on the TV last night. Probably my favourite Villa player the mid 90s.).

mid 90's !
That's how long ago it seems pal! :)

He played well last night, and does seem to have a well-rounded game (with room for improvement obviously). I do agree that Clark is the better player of the two, but it's good to have the competition in that area, that he can step up if needed.

Offline nigel

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2012, 07:31:16 PM »
Clark will do a 'Barry' and move into the holding midfield role I reckon. Baker is the better centre-half in my opinion.

I've mentioned many times that I think Nathan Baker is a great center half in the making.
I agree that I feel Clark into a defensive/holding midfield role bringing Baker in to partner Vlaar would be a good move.

Offline Rancid custard

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2012, 08:15:03 PM »
Clark will do a 'Barry' and move into the holding midfield role I reckon. Baker is the better centre-half in my opinion.

I've mentioned many times that I think Nathan Baker is a great center half in the making.
I agree that I feel Clark into a defensive/holding midfield role bringing Baker in to partner Vlaar would be a good move.

I'd go along with that, as a midfielder who's done a defenders job,he'd know when to step on and press, and where to be to shield as the ball comes back towards us etc.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2012, 08:24:53 PM »
Lambert has already said that he doesn't see Clark as anything other than a centre back so I doubt we'll see him moved into midfield any time soon.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2012, 08:30:33 PM »
Baker's achillies heel is his distribution.

Current football thinking is less about players who fit individual positions (such as a 'proper centre half') and more about versatile players who can play a number of different positions.  Being a centre half that can tackle and head a ball just won't be enough going forward and I think Baker's lack of pace and passing ability will hold him back - certainly in Lambert's eyes.

The same principle applies to why Lambert doesn't see Clark as a midfielder.  His passing is just about good enough to play centre half but he's not good enough to be in the middle of the park - midfielders of the future will need to be much more technically able than Clark is.

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2012, 08:32:08 PM »
We must keep hold of Baker. Future Captain & England player.

Offline Oscar Arce

• Location: Trinity Road Enclosure, just come through the gates for a 6d. transfer from the Witton End grassy bank to buy a Wagon wheel in the Tuck Shop under the stand
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2012, 08:59:16 PM »
Watched Baker and Clark play together in the youth team regularly and I said back then (on here) that Baker looked the better centre half to me, I think the kid's got a big future if he can stay clear of injury.
Love the way he tackles and goes through players.
Proper Centre half (potentially) indeed.

Offline Ron Manager

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2012, 09:15:34 PM »
I agree. Baker very much looks the part. Not a bad game all season when he has been selected.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2012, 09:28:24 PM »
Baker is going to a dominating CH and being a left footer is added benefit for team balance.

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2012, 09:34:31 PM »
The thing I liked vs Roberts, Nathan put a couple of hefty yet fair reducers into him early on, brilliant. Good old fashioned CB.

Online London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2012, 10:08:23 PM »
Clark's bodycheck was brilliant. Robert's is a canny centre forward and those pair of centre backs will have learnt as much playing against him as they did Giroud last Saturday.

Offline supertom

« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2012, 07:14:52 AM »
I think we're looking good at CH. We just could do with one more option in place of Dunne, who's fitness problems just keep continuing.
I like Baker. He's done well when called upon. Likewise I think Clark's done brilliantly in the last couple of games. He was somewhat erratic earlier in the season but given a decent run in the side, he's stepping up well now. Future captain perhaps. Likewise Baker.

Offline nigel

« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2012, 09:09:23 AM »
Baker's achillies heel is his distribution.

Current football thinking is less about players who fit individual positions (such as a 'proper centre half') and more about versatile players who can play a number of different positions.  Being a centre half that can tackle and head a ball just won't be enough going forward and I think Baker's lack of pace and passing ability will hold him back - certainly in Lambert's eyes.

The same principle applies to why Lambert doesn't see Clark as a midfielder.  His passing is just about good enough to play centre half but he's not good enough to be in the middle of the park - midfielders of the future will need to be much more technically able than Clark is.

Baker's only 20/21 with only  a handful of games under his belt. His inexperience shows at times but his distribution at first team level will certainly improve (you don't play for, and captain, Eng U21's if that's a problem generally)

Have to disagree on the Clark point, I happen to think he's got quite a bit in his locker that we can't see while at center back, but, even so, you can't have a midfield full of 'Galactico' type players, every team needs a defensive worker to allow these to be able to display their skills.,

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal