collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How do you rate Lamberts purchases out of ten  (Read 9888 times)

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
Re: How do you rate Lamberts purchases out of ten
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2012, 12:13:56 PM »
Do think Bennett will get better . I thought he was pretty poor from his first game to be fair but speaking to Boro friends they really rated him up there , yes its a lower division but he has time on his side and we dont know how fit he was  from the start .

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2012, 12:14:08 PM »
Benteke 9
Westwood 7
Kea 5
Concrete 6.5
Lowton 7
Bennet 4
Guzan 8.5 although still not convinced he properly qualifies as a new signing.

Offline eastie

« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2012, 12:16:24 PM »
Do think Bennett will get better . I thought he was pretty poor from his first game to be fair but speaking to Boro friends they really rated him up there , yes its a lower division but he has time on his side and we dont know how fit he was  from the start .
He was injured when he signed and has been injured and suspended since so he hasn't really had a decent run in the side yet, I think once he gets a few games under his belt he will prove to be a decent signing and make the left back berth his own.

Offline maidstonevillain

• GM : 26.11.2024
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2012, 12:18:58 PM »
For the money paid most are pretty good signings. but how many of them would have been in our first team 3 to 4 seasons ago.

Benteke would be there or thereabouts. RB was always pretty weak for us in the MON years so I think Lowton would have. Or alternatively, if we're talking the years when Olly was playing RB, then Vlaar would get in at CB.
I can see your point, but it stems largely from our best players currently occupying the positions that were weakest during much of the MON period. But I would still doubt Vlaar would have displaced Dunne, Collins, or Cuellar at that time.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2012, 12:21:16 PM »
A bit early to judge I think, we've had players before who start brilliantly only to fade and others who are slow burners but turn out to be mainstays of the side. I will say though that I like this approach and I think I'm going to enjoy watching them develop, individually and collectively, over the next couple of years.

Bloody hell Chris, nobody is asking you to give a binding, cast iron five year prediction, just say how they're doing so far!

It's like a waiter asking how your meal was half way through your starter.

No, it's like a waiter asking how your starter is halfway through your starter. 

It's like him asking how your starter is when you've only just picked up your spoon (you're having soup).

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2012, 12:30:01 PM »
A bit early to judge I think, we've had players before who start brilliantly only to fade and others who are slow burners but turn out to be mainstays of the side. I will say though that I like this approach and I think I'm going to enjoy watching them develop, individually and collectively, over the next couple of years.

Bloody hell Chris, nobody is asking you to give a binding, cast iron five year prediction, just say how they're doing so far!

It's like him asking how your starter is when you've only just picked up your spoon (you're having soup).

It's like going to a new restaurant because of the reputation of the Chef and his house specials which can be a bit hit or miss depending on which night you go.

Offline supertom

« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2012, 12:46:57 PM »
They're proving, on the whole, good value so far. I hoped for big things from Benteke, and he's delivering.

For me the signings, maybe KEA and Bennett aside (and Bowery obviously), have all fitted in nicely. The bigger problem we've had is probably what Lambert inherited. The more he shapes his own team, the better I think he'll get, but ideally with a few experienced signings too. If he signs only kids we'll struggle to turn things round. It's early days. Some might get better, others may well fade.

I think what's evident though, is that PL has a good eye.

You look at what was here with Bannan, Delph, Albrighton, Delfouneso, Stevens, Clark, Baker, Weimann in terms of the youngsters. I think maybe 2-3 of them would make the grade, probably the latter 3.

Our seniors, Hutton, Warnock, Makoun, Collins (out with minimal fuss thankfully), Dunne, Ireland, N'Zogbia and obviously Bent now, are obviously not in PL's long term plans. I think PL knows he can't build a side he wants around Bent. As for the others, they range from inconsistent, past it, shite or they signed for money, or just didn't particularly want to join.
It's a bunch that needs vast improvement on. Maybe 1-2 will have a Villa future. Ireland might if he fulfills his promise. Dunne might be useful if he's ever fit again. CNZ is one of the biggest wastes of talent we've had in years. Hugely disappointing.

In the next few windows I'd say he'll want a minimum of half a dozen in and out.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2012, 01:14:41 PM »
We were promised a selection of the finest Scottish gourmet delights like Loch Fyne oysters, but so far it's been more deep-fried Mars Bar.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2012, 04:05:45 PM »

Are you picking up the spoon before or after MON has jerked his stuff into it (see earlier post as reference)?

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2012, 04:07:23 PM »
We were promised a selection of the finest Scottish gourmet delights like Loch Fyne oysters, but so far it's been more deep-fried Mars Bar.
Nah, the deep-fried Mars bar was last season and we all nearly choked on its sickliness.
This season I was expecting Fish & Chips but we've so far had only bits / scraps; and we've been battered a couple of times.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2012, 04:18:48 PM »
The cow is not yet ready to be eaten, it might just be palatable now but it will taste far better next year after the farmer has had to time to fatten her up for the table.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2012, 04:21:34 PM »
Anyone for a waffer thin mint to finish off their meal?

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2012, 04:31:34 PM »
It's like the waiter asking how your starter is after Martin O'neill's wanked in the soup.

"It's a bit milky..."

Offline maidstonevillain

• GM : 26.11.2024
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2012, 04:50:46 PM »
The cow is not yet ready to be eaten, it might just be palatable now but it will taste far better next year after the farmer has had to time to fatten her up for the table.

More likely to be struck down with Mad Cow disease, and carted off to the knackers yard.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2012, 08:15:47 PM »
Whoever this waiter is, I wish he would just let me enjoy my meal.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal