collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by Pete3206
[Today at 08:51:36 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 08:47:18 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

FFP by Chris Harte
[Today at 07:52:57 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Pete3206
[Today at 08:51:36 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 08:47:18 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 08:43:09 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 08:38:11 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 08:34:31 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Gareth
[Today at 08:27:22 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 08:26:47 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Abbeyfealeavfc
[Today at 08:15:22 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: One Dimensional  (Read 9374 times)

Offline tomd2103

Re: One Dimensional
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2012, 08:50:26 AM »
We need a midfielder who can put his foot on the ball and stride past a couple of players. A skillful strong athletic type. Our current crop are too similar, stopping the ball and looking to pass rather than utilising space.

Agree.  I would say that Anderson from Man Utd is exactly the type of midfielder we need, but unfortunately I think he  falls in to the 'unrealistic' category of transfer targets.   

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2012, 08:52:45 AM »
Nathan Baker is James Collins mkIII.

Strong, physical CB who is poor on the ball and always looks like he has got a mistake in him?  I personally think the comparison is a fair one at the moment.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2012, 08:54:47 AM »
We struggled last night because on the whole we were one dimensional. We played better against Man Utd and Arsenal because we passed it on the deck. We must not hoof it, and Baker, Clark, Lichaj were terrible for it.

Offline Salsa Party Animal

• Location: Trinity Road Lower Stand or Dance-floor or Bedroom.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Salsapartyanimal
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2012, 08:55:39 AM »
I do agree with passing too much to Benteke, but we need betters players in wide forward positions and more width, and our players to spread the ball round bit more so Benteke can take players away from the goalmouth.

Offline eastie

« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2012, 08:57:07 AM »
I do agree with passing too much to Benteke, but we need betters players in wide forward positions and more width, and our players to spread the ball round bit more so Benteke can take players away from the goalmouth.

I agree salsa, gabby doesn't deliver enough and albrighton is not good enough by a mile.

Offline Can Gana Be Bettered!?!?

« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2012, 09:17:00 AM »

I agree salsa, gabby doesn't deliver enough and albrighton is not good enough by a mile.

When Albrighton blasted a cross way over the bar last night, I lost it for the first time this season. "******", "twat", "useless" and "Championship at best" were just some of the words that left my mouth. I'm in no way proud of it, but at that point I was getting really pissed off with how shit we were playing and just lumping it forward to Benteke and hoping he'd pull something out the bag (which he did in the end).

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2012, 09:27:25 AM »

Strong, physical CB who is poor on the ball and always looks like he has got a mistake in him?  I personally think the comparison is a fair one at the moment.
I thought Baker was outstanding last night: his ball-winning, covering for Clark and general composure were excellent.
His passing was a little hit and miss but he has the potential to be a very accomplished CB.

Whcih is not a word I'd ever use for James Collins.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2012, 09:37:13 AM »

I thought Baker was outstanding last night: his ball-winning, covering for Clark and general composure were excellent.
His passing was a little hit and miss but he has the potential to be a very accomplished CB.

Whcih is not a word I'd ever use for James Collins.

I thought he struggled for the first twenty minutes but did very well to pull it round.

I like him.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2012, 09:41:03 AM »
we are a very pooor side, we have reverted to type, its like watching a MON team
I disagree with this. We pass it better than we ever did with MON. With MON if we couldn't get it wide and cross it then we was fucked. We hardly play with any width these days.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2012, 09:42:22 AM »
I'd agree that one problem we have is that we don't really have the players in the wider roles just behind the main striker.  You do need someone who can beat a man and attack the box from there, and neither Gabby, Holman, Weimann or Albrighton seem to have that ability.  N'zogbia should be ideal for that role but more often than not he either disappears, runs up blind alleys or provides an awful final ball.  Might be worth giving Carruthers a go there?   

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2012, 10:29:36 AM »
we are a very pooor side, we have reverted to type, its like watching a MON team
I disagree with this. We pass it better than we ever did with MON. With MON if we couldn't get it wide and cross it then we was fucked. We hardly play with any width these days.

Reading set their team out for a draw which didn't give us much room hence the frustration second half and the resultant hoof ball.  Once we scored they had to come at us and the game opened up. 

QPR will come at us this weekend to force the issue.  This should create more space and allow us to play the game the way we can.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 10:35:40 AM by Bren'd »

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2012, 10:36:11 AM »
I think we hardly ever play with wide men is because Albrighton is so lacking in confidence and N'Zogbia is injured/shit

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2012, 10:37:43 AM »
It felt like we were in the championship already last night, I'm glad we got the win but at times it was desperate

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2012, 10:45:07 AM »

QPR will come at us this weekend to force the issue.  This should create more space and allow us to play the game the way we can.
Comments on the radio last night re QPR was that their midfield is very powerful and was dynamic aginast Slumberland. Just the sort of MF against which I'd expect us to struggle.

Offline Exeter 77

« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2012, 01:03:31 PM »
I thought the defence last night was missing Vlaar's organisational skills - not surprising really given the average age of the starting defenders was 22.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal