collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Darren Bent  (Read 166020 times)

Offline eastie

Re: Darren Bent
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2012, 01:29:49 PM »
Needs to more time to see if he can combine with Benteke.  All the stikers, Bent, Benteke, Gabby & Weiman have their place, whether starting on the bench or in the first 11.  But as has been mentioned it does appear there is a problem between Bent and Lambert, despite PL's insistence otherwise.

I do think it would give the fans a lift if Bent started tonight though.

Would love to see him bang a hat trick tonight and then jump into lamberts arms for a hug but its not gonna happen I'm afraid.

Offline QBVILLA

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2012, 01:30:51 PM »
10 goals in 12 league goals suggests we have a problem.
Play him.

This.

Online Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2012, 01:38:45 PM »
10 goals in 12 league goals suggests we have a problem.
Play him.

This.

Would qualify this by asking how many chances we have created / missed in those games....if we were creating 6/7/8 chances a game then DB is first name on teamsheet, if we aren't then not for me.

Can't see why he wouldn't be in squad though, that's bonkers

Offline TonyD

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2012, 01:42:13 PM »
Logic says play him.  But instinct tells me he is not going work out at the Villa.   ShoppingGate tells you a lot.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2012, 01:43:28 PM »
the forward line needs rotation and he offers something different to what we have. Gabby stilll gives us much needed pace, and Benteke is the best line leader we have. Somehow we need to harness Bent's finishing ability using those two players. Weimann has tremendous desire and energy, but there is time for that, and I'd much rather he came off the bench right now than Bent.

Offline QBVILLA

« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2012, 01:49:30 PM »
The difference for me is when the ball is put into the box and bent is there I expect a goal. Can't say I feel that way with the other strikers.

Offline onje_villa

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2012, 01:50:28 PM »
I can see why he's not playing as he doesn't fit into the style Lambert's playing. It's all very well saying "he's a goalscorer, put him in" but for the system to work, you need someone who can hold the ball up and two wide forwards who'll run all day.

He's obviously a great option to have around though and he should certainly be around the first team but perhaps on the bench.

That said there's definitely something bigger at play here.

Definitely looks like he's going to be sold and if we can reinvest the money and strengthen our squad (Lambert seems to spend very well) then I'm all for it.
Someone mentioned that he's two games off a clause where we have to pay Sunderland 2 million. That may be the reason he's not playing him before January.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2012, 01:54:35 PM »
The way we're playing and what Lambert is asking of his strikers does not suit Bent, so he's out for footballing reasons.  The problem is we simply can't afford an asset of his value not to be playing, so for financial reasons we need to shift him in January and invest in other areas of the team. 

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2012, 02:07:21 PM »
He looks like he's on his way out, if he can't even make a squad then there is a problem or Lambert doesn't want him
It seems quite obvious to me that the future of Bent will not be at Villa Park

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2012, 02:09:56 PM »
Despite all that I have said on other threads, I think I would pick him tonight. Let's see how he responds. If he is looking for a move let him alert potential suitors by banging in a few goals.

If he looks as lethargic as ever, sub him at half time and let him go the first chance we get.

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2012, 02:15:28 PM »
If he ends up going to Liverpool on loan I will not go down again whilst Lambert is in charge.

The idea that Aston Villa, a relegation candidate can afford to put a striker of his finishing instinct on the bench beggars belief.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2012, 02:20:09 PM »
If he ends up going to Liverpool on loan I will not go down again whilst Lambert is in charge.

The idea that Aston Villa, a relegation candidate can afford to put a striker of his finishing instinct on the bench beggars belief.

I love the thought that out there somewhere is a Manchester United supporter who won't go back until Ferguson goes because he sold Norman Whiteside.

Offline MonsXI

« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2012, 02:24:29 PM »

I just don't get your logic, Bent doesn't and will never fit into the system Lambert plays. I'd prefer a sale rather than a loan but if Liverpool are paying his wages we have spare wage budget to get us players we need.

The little threat about not going down again while Lamberts in charge is shocking!

Offline nordenvillain

« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2012, 02:26:31 PM »

This

For every game for which he is fit to play but does not, his value in the January window will go down. He can't score any less goals then we are now. The lure of selling him in the January window and re-investing the money to bolster the squad ignores the fact that the transfer window is 8 league games (Including 1st January) away and we may be in a much worse position by then. We are in a real battle for our  PL status and we need our best players on the pitch and for my money, Darren Bent should almost always be in that 11 starting tonight

Offline eastie

« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2012, 02:30:05 PM »
I cant see why we would loan him to anyone -  bents attributes and qualities are widely known as are his flaws - Liverpool or anyone know exactly what they are getting  as he has been around a good few years .

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal