collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Your favourite current Villa player.  (Read 20615 times)

Offline Dazvillain

Re: Your favourite current Villa player.
« Reply #105 on: November 28, 2012, 08:39:07 AM »
Went for Holman, liked him the first time I saw him in a villa shirt. Plenty more to come from him also. Reminds me of a modern Cropley or Carrodus

Offline ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
  • GM : 01.08.2022
« Reply #106 on: November 28, 2012, 10:22:31 AM »
Has to be Benteke, looks a real handful and is exciting to watch.

Offline MoetVillan

« Reply #107 on: November 28, 2012, 01:05:39 PM »
Westwood. for such a young lad, very composed, and importantly, does the simple things right. (ie passing to a fellow player).  Good running with the ball, great distribution if needed, good marking, calm and assured.  Because he doesnt make many mistakes, you can almost miss him on the pitch.  Great signing

Offline JPartington

« Reply #108 on: November 28, 2012, 01:24:45 PM »
Went for Bannan. To be honest, I'm pretty surprised at how much stick he gets sometimes. He is quite often the only player who is brave enough to constantly demand the ball and try and make things happen. His passing range is excellent and he works incredibly hard for the team. Despite the moans whenever a long range pass doesnt come off, he does keep it simple and on the ground the majority of the time. In any case, the attempted long balls are at least an attempt at some form of first-time incision, as opposed to an aimless clunk upfield.   

I would imagine that a number of his 'dinks' over the defence would pay off if matched by intelligent running. I don't particuarly rate Bent, and, without mixing threads, don't think he should be in the team, but his movement is something that Bannan has excelled at picking out in the past with a reversed thirty yard chipped pass. Benteke is a little bit more static. The amount of time that Robin van Persie peels off from the defence to receive a lofted pass straight through the middle is a prime example of what Bannan is trying to acheive.

I'm also pleased that Westwood is in alongside him. Measured passing and ease in possession is required to exert any controlled pressure against a team. Delph and Herd generally cause more problems than they solve. 

Offline QBVILLA

« Reply #109 on: November 28, 2012, 01:30:51 PM »
Went for Bannan. To be honest, I'm pretty surprised at how much stick he gets sometimes. He is quite often the only player who is brave enough to constantly demand the ball and try and make things happen. His passing range is excellent and he works incredibly hard for the team. Despite the moans whenever a long range pass doesnt come off, he does keep it simple and on the ground the majority of the time. In any case, the attempted long balls are at least an attempt at some form of first-time incision, as opposed to an aimless clunk upfield.   

I would imagine that a number of his 'dinks' over the defence would pay off if matched by intelligent running. I don't particuarly rate Bent, and, without mixing threads, don't think he should be in the team, but his movement is something that Bannan has excelled at picking out in the past with a reversed thirty yard chipped pass. Benteke is a little bit more static. The amount of time that Robin van Persie peels off from the defence to receive a lofted pass straight through the middle is a prime example of what Bannan is trying to acheive.

I'm also pleased that Westwood is in alongside him. Measured passing and ease in possession is required to exert any controlled pressure against a team. Delph and Herd generally cause more problems than they solve. 

Great post.

Offline richardhubbard

« Reply #110 on: November 28, 2012, 01:47:50 PM »
I voted west wood , I think 2m he is a bloody steel of a buy

Offline Keeno

• Twitter
« Reply #111 on: November 28, 2012, 06:55:04 PM »
Westwood. A touch of the Scholes to him. Minus the gingerness.

Offline HK Villan

« Reply #112 on: November 28, 2012, 06:55:28 PM »
What a positive thread.  Excellent. 

Holman by the way.

Offline JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
« Reply #113 on: November 29, 2012, 07:16:29 AM »
Benteke, closely followed by Westwood and Vlaar.

Online SamTheMouse

• Location: The Land of the Fragrant Founders of Human Rights, Fine Wines & Bikinis
  • GM : 03.11.2024
« Reply #114 on: November 29, 2012, 07:58:10 AM »
I went for Vlaar, who seems to be the natural leader we've been missing for a while. Also a big fan of Lowton. Looks solid and consistent, pretty unspectacular but his defensive awareness is excellent. Reminds me vaguely of Mark Delaney.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #115 on: December 05, 2012, 08:17:52 PM »
Guzan, Petrov, Vlaar, Westwood and/or Benteke for me. Getting closer!

Still can't decide...

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #116 on: December 05, 2012, 08:19:12 PM »
Would the OP mind me altering the thread title so more than one player can be chosen? If not, I'll amend the poll aswell.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #117 on: December 05, 2012, 08:28:03 PM »

I've long been a big fan of Bannan, but I went for Westwood perhaps just for novelty value. If that guy keeps on playing like this AND gets better with experience he will play for England, no question in my mind.

However, Benteke ran him a close, I love him. He's just got all the attributes of a classic Holte hero other than being Scandinavian. Also love Holman, brilliant Aussie attitude.

Offline tom jennings III

• GM : 30.04.2015
« Reply #118 on: December 05, 2012, 10:11:29 PM »
Guzan, Vlaar, Westwood, Holman and Benteke have all really impressed me this season for different reasons. I had to plump for Beneke as I think he'll bang in a few important goals this season and hopefully spearhead a charge back into Europe next!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal