collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ex Bromsgrove Rovers X1 vs Villa old stars  (Read 5942 times)

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
Ex Bromsgrove Rovers X1 vs Villa old stars
« on: November 20, 2012, 03:30:57 PM »
Date of Event: Sunday, November 25, 2012 - 14:00
Venue: BROMSGROVE SPORTING FC (the Victoria Ground, Birmingham Road, Bromsgrove, B61 0DR)
Call for bookings: 08448 735 670

Things hotting up for the Rovers v Villa This Sunday. Villa team will include: Dale Belford, Gavin Price, Gareth Farrelley, Mark Walters, Mark Kinsella, Brian Small, Ian Ward, Dave Norton, etc.

Rovers from: Ron Green, Paul Webb, Stewart Brighton, Darren Grocutt, Chris Taylor, Allan Kurilla, Rob Shilvock, Colin Radburn, Mark Crisp, Andy Marlowe, Adie Smith, Chris Hanks, Mark Whitehouse, John Gale, Martyn O'Connor, Steve Taylor, Steve Stott
Scott Cooksey.

Offline PeterWithesShin

Re: Ex Bromsgrove Rovers X1 vs Villa old stars
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 03:31:41 PM »
Jeeze those Rovers names bring back some memories. Greeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen Army!

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 03:52:25 PM »
Fair smattering of ex-Tamuff there as well, Darren Grocutt was our captain when we got promoted to the Conference for the first time, might just pop down.

Offline barossavilla

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 02:11:45 AM »
"Donkey" Bayliss & Chris Hooper....Its seems like a lifetime ago that I was at the Victoria Ground . Ahh the memories!

Offline Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 08:59:49 PM »
Jeeze those Rovers names bring back some memories. Greeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen Army!

agree, the heady days of the Bobby Hope era....what a side! Majority of my live football as a kid was Rovers....Richo, Webb, Hanks, Johnny Gayle, Burgher, O'Connell, Kurilla, Stott, Crisp....even the mighty Jan Mulders

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2012, 09:09:26 PM »
And don't forget the legendary Big Malcolm Dunkley! We must have been at a lot of the same games Gareth.

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2012, 09:13:47 PM »
I did a few games on the line there when I was on the Southern League.  It must have been you feckers booing me! ;)

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2012, 09:20:09 PM »
Wouldn't have been me Dave, I was a good boy. It was probably the Rovers pack that did it. And I was never in with them, no siree Bob.

Knees up Billy Bull, knees up Billy bull
Under the table you won't fit
All you speak is bullshit.

Offline Gareth

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2012, 09:22:46 PM »
And don't forget the legendary Big Malcolm Dunkley! We must have been at a lot of the same games Gareth.
  Big Malc, another legend....85-92/3 probably most home games and a few aways such as the Gloucester promotion party and Bournemouth / Northampton in the FA Cup

Offline Gareth

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2012, 09:24:05 PM »
Booing a lino - that'll never catch on :-)

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2012, 09:30:14 PM »
  Big Malc, another legend....85-92/3 probably most home games and a few aways such as the Gloucester promotion party and Bournemouth / Northampton in the FA Cup

I was mainly about 84-89 then I moved away from Bromsgrove. Whenever I couldn't get to the Villa I was off down the Vic in those days. Bunking off school to go to Aylesbury (semi) which was played at Tring and Trowbridge (final) of the Bill Dellow are great memories. How the SBHS never sussed why 20-30 lads from the same year all had dentist appointments those afternoons is beyond me.
Went to Gloucester as well, one of my last matches. Last match was Barnsley in the FA Cup I think.

And the Newport FA Cup game remains a fond memory, apart from the result. Nearly 7K in a ground that held less than 4K. Wonder why the club only declared a capacity crowd? Surely no fiddling going on? *remembers the crowd laughter against Barnet in the FAT when the attendance was announced*

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2012, 09:30:45 PM »
I always liked going to Bromsgrove, they were always a welcoming bunch (club representatives that is) and treated the officials with respect regardless of the result. I always thought the crowd were generally good humoured and usually had some funny remarks to make, mainly at my expense.  I always smiled at them if it wasn't personal and I think they appreciated that and then usually left me alone.  Nice club, I like them.

Mal Dunkley I regularly came across, either in Bromsgrove matches or whoever he was playing for in the Festival League on a Sunday.  A lad who enjoyed his football.

Offline Gareth

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2012, 10:18:13 PM »

And the Newport FA Cup game remains a fond memory, apart from the result. Nearly 7K in a ground that held less than 4K. Wonder why the club only declared a capacity crowd? Surely no fiddling going on? *remembers the crowd laughter against Barnet in the FAT when the attendance was announced*
[/quote]

consistently creative with attendance figures, remember Wycombe (with the gutless one) being the same - having to walk down centre of the pitch to changes ends at half time

Offline Rotterdam 82

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2012, 10:50:31 AM »
Sadly the game has been called off due to there being standing water in the centre of the pitch.

I'll let you know the details when it's been arranged.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal