collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by IFWaters
[Today at 06:20:45 AM]

Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by IFWaters
[Today at 06:20:45 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Stan's progress update  (Read 11412 times)

Offline richard moore

• GM : Jan, 2013
Re: Stan's progress update
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2012, 06:11:51 PM »
I saw him on Midlands Today last night and he looked like a bloke who'd been through a lot so of course we should carry it on if it's helping him.. We just need the 16 years olds to stop the No Respect crap.

It's not just the '16 years olds', Clampy.
I had a bit of an argument with a few 'older guys (25-35+ at a guess) who were saying that other clubs show no respect by not clapping too.
I put the point. that at the end of the day it's a Villa thing and that as long as they didn't sing abuse I really couldn't care if they clapped, as you'd probably find that they don't realise what's going on.

I would love us to score during that 19th minute applause, we could even credit the goal to Stan :-)

Unfortunately there is no upper age limit on stupidity.

Witness most of us on here, me included!!!!

Offline PaulMcGrathsNo5Shirt

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2012, 08:16:38 PM »
I had the pleasure of a meeting Stan on Sunday at the Halesowen game shortly before he was about to get in the car to go home. Stan was keen to sign autographs and pose for pictures with fans at the end of the game. He was clearly looking tired after an emotional couple of hours but I knew just from those few moments how thoroughly touched he was by the support he is continuing to get. If Stan feels appreciative of the support we should do all we can to support it. However, it is down to the individual I guess.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2012, 10:01:38 PM »
It is really simple: it is a gesture of support and we should keep it up.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2012, 03:04:56 PM »
From the Mirror.

Sheer class: Aston Villa and their fans deserve full credit for the way they're looking after Stiliyan Petrov

Sometimes football clubs and football fans do not get the credit they always deserve.

Already this season we have seen vile chanting, managers defending play-acting and racism rows which do nothing for the reputation of the game.

So it heartening to see just how dignified, respectful and supportive both Aston Villa Football Club and their fans have been to help midfielder Stiliyan Petrov in his recovery from leukemia.

At 33, Petrov is unlikely to play for the club again as he battles back from his terrible illness, but that has not stopped the enormous amount of good feeling coming from anyone with any connection to the club.

First to the supporters: they organised a well attended charity match at Halesowen Town last Sunday in a bid to raise money for charities supporting leukemia. Over £10,000 was claimed.

Fans sing Petrov’s name at every game – 19 minutes in to reflect the former Celtic man’s squad number – and he has acknowledged that such backing has reduced him to tears on a number of occasions.

Then there’s the club. They presented him with a birthday cake when he called into training in the summer and even the masseurs did their bit, cycling 400-miles for a Pedal for Petrov cycle ride.

It was even more warming to hear Paul Lambert talk last Friday at his pre-match Manchester City press conference.

Ultimately the club were heavily beaten in a match of such importance that saw them drop into the relegation zone as a result.

But Lambert wanted to speak at length about his absent midfielder, it was the most important topic of all. Everything else was insignificant.

Lambert of course knows Petrov from the pair’s days together at Celtic and will do everything in his power to ensure he is well looked after.

The Scot hinted that the powers that be Randy Lerner and Paul Faulkner will ensure a role is there for the Bulgarian when he recovers in full following the illness that has tragically struck him. You would not think any less of Aston Villa.

Thankfully Petrov is in remission. He has had a fighting spirit throughout his time in football but you like to think that the tremendous support he has received from all parties associated with the Villains has helped aid his recovery.

Football is not important when it comes to health and it is to their eternal credit that Aston Villa have not forgotten about Petrov.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2012, 04:26:43 PM »
Genuinely heart-warming stuff.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2012, 04:37:02 PM »
Somoeone's cutting up onions again near me.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2012, 04:38:34 PM »
One day this club will get all the good things it deserves.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2012, 04:45:35 PM »
Brilliant piece - heart-warming.
We just need to get a grip on the 19th in a way that avoids the embarrassing "no respect" and"shit support" chants.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2012, 05:00:41 PM »
Brilliant piece - heart-warming.
We just need to get a grip on the 19th in a way that avoids the embarrassing "no respect" and"shit support" chants.

While I share your sentiments about the "no respect" nonsense it's clear from general reaction, as summed up by this article, that it's only us that are taking any notice of the childish minority.

I'm hoping to get down on Saturday, I must remember to take a hankie.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2012, 05:02:39 PM »
credit to the Mirror as well for that article,
they get enough brick bats on here so at least that is something positive

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2012, 10:06:13 PM »

Don't normally like people who do this but...

^^This

Offline JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2012, 07:10:41 AM »
From the Mirror.

Sheer class: Aston Villa and their fans deserve full credit for the way they're looking after Stiliyan Petrov

Sometimes football clubs and football fans do not get the credit they always deserve.

Already this season we have seen vile chanting, managers defending play-acting and racism rows which do nothing for the reputation of the game.

So it heartening to see just how dignified, respectful and supportive both Aston Villa Football Club and their fans have been to help midfielder Stiliyan Petrov in his recovery from leukemia.

At 33, Petrov is unlikely to play for the club again as he battles back from his terrible illness, but that has not stopped the enormous amount of good feeling coming from anyone with any connection to the club.

First to the supporters: they organised a well attended charity match at Halesowen Town last Sunday in a bid to raise money for charities supporting leukemia. Over £10,000 was claimed.

Fans sing Petrov’s name at every game – 19 minutes in to reflect the former Celtic man’s squad number – and he has acknowledged that such backing has reduced him to tears on a number of occasions.

Then there’s the club. They presented him with a birthday cake when he called into training in the summer and even the masseurs did their bit, cycling 400-miles for a Pedal for Petrov cycle ride.

It was even more warming to hear Paul Lambert talk last Friday at his pre-match Manchester City press conference.

Ultimately the club were heavily beaten in a match of such importance that saw them drop into the relegation zone as a result.

But Lambert wanted to speak at length about his absent midfielder, it was the most important topic of all. Everything else was insignificant.

Lambert of course knows Petrov from the pair’s days together at Celtic and will do everything in his power to ensure he is well looked after.

The Scot hinted that the powers that be Randy Lerner and Paul Faulkner will ensure a role is there for the Bulgarian when he recovers in full following the illness that has tragically struck him. You would not think any less of Aston Villa.

Thankfully Petrov is in remission. He has had a fighting spirit throughout his time in football but you like to think that the tremendous support he has received from all parties associated with the Villains has helped aid his recovery.

Football is not important when it comes to health and it is to their eternal credit that Aston Villa have not forgotten about Petrov.

We may not be great on the field at the moment but this article truly sums up why I am so proud to be a supporter of Villa (the greatest team in the world) and always will be. Class is permanent. 
You can keep your Man City's and Chelski's, I don't give a shit.   

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2012, 11:51:57 AM »

Don't normally like people who do this but...

^^This

Same here. Lets live in hope for Stan, and Villa.

Offline danlanza

« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2012, 01:20:28 PM »
Stan deserves all the support we as a club can give him.
A model proffesional, dedicated family man, a bloody good bloke.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2012, 08:04:48 PM »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal