collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Stan's progress update  (Read 11453 times)

Offline eastie

Stan's progress update
« on: November 20, 2012, 08:08:22 AM »
Sorry for opening a new stan  thread mods , please feel free to merge if you wish but an article update on stan.

Stan Petrov on Villa support.

By Paul Brown

Stan Petrov admits he always feels like crying whenever he sees the fans applaud him during games.

Supporters rise to their feet and clap enthusiastically on the 19th minute to coincide with the skipper's squad number.

Petrov, who watches Villa games he's able to, says he gets emotional during the heart-warming tribute minute.

He said: "I just feel like crying every time. It's great appreciation from the fans.

"I really appreciate it. But that's Villa fans for you. They love the club and they love the players.

"I have been a part of this club for quite a while and I fell in love with it.

"I am getting great support. I still go and see the boys when I can, when the professor tells me my count is right. It's great. I miss it. But I have another priority at the moment."

Petrov, currently in remission, admits his outlook on life has changed since his battle with leukaemia was revealed.

The club skipper now lives life to the absolute fullest every day.

He added: "I am in remission. I had quite a lot of chemotherapy. I am in a consolidation phase at the moment. I have a few more cycles to go.

"It's been a long road. It's been long. It's been tough. But the professor, the doctors, the nurses who have been looking after me have been great, very supportive.

"I knew it was going to be hard from the start. I didn't know it was going to be that hard!

"But, at the end of the road, you become an even better person.

"People say 'live every day as if it's your last.' That's what people say.

"I am enjoying it. I enjoy seeing my kids, my wife, my mum and dad, my brother.

"It's emotional. You always have emotional periods. But I am battling hard. So far it is going well which is a very positive thing."

« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 08:10:44 AM by eastie »

Offline Virgil Caine

• Location: Bedfordshire and its not as bad as you think it might be.
  • GM : 15.07.2024
Re: Stan's progress update
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 08:15:40 AM »
I think we have the answer as regards to the 19th minute applause- Keep it going and carry on the fight Stan. Thanks for posting Eastie.

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 09:14:20 AM »
Yep - I was in favour of ditching it like many others, but if that's what it does for Stan then argument over.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 09:18:09 AM »
I saw him on Midlands Today last night and he looked like a bloke who'd been through a lot so of course we should carry it on if it's helping him.. We just need the 16 years olds to stop the No Respect crap.

Offline willywombat

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 09:37:42 AM »
Yep - I was in favour of ditching it like many others, but if that's what it does for Stan then argument over.

Agreed

Offline CJ

• GM : 12.07.2017
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 09:51:09 AM »
I saw him on Midlands Today last night and he looked like a bloke who'd been through a lot so of course we should carry it on if it's helping him.. We just need the 16 years olds to stop the No Respect crap.

That was the first view I've had of him since he started his treatment. He's clearly had a really tough battle and we need to keep the applause going to show we're still with him. Agree we need to find a way of getting rid of the No Respect chants so it gets back to being us as Villa fans supporting Stan, and if others want to join in or not it's up to them. Got to find a way to stop spoiling it but I don't know how we do that.

Online nigel

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 10:03:49 AM »

It's not just the '16 years olds', Clampy.
I had a bit of an argument with a few 'older guys (25-35+ at a guess) who were saying that other clubs show no respect by not clapping too.
I put the point. that at the end of the day it's a Villa thing and that as long as they didn't sing abuse I really couldn't care if they clapped, as you'd probably find that they don't realise what's going on.

I would love us to score during that 19th minute applause, we could even credit the goal to Stan :-)

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 10:06:29 AM »
we need to find a way of getting rid of the No Respect chants so it gets back to being us as Villa fans supporting Stan, and if others want to join in or not it's up to them. Got to find a way to stop spoiling it but I don't know how we do that.

I don't post on the Villa Talk or Vital Villa forums but I wondered if they had a view on this.

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2012, 11:33:17 AM »
No word on if he will play again.

If he doesn't then we should host some sort of 'farewell' game at VP in pre-season.

Offline eastie

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2012, 01:00:20 PM »

If he doesn't then we should host some sort of 'farewell' game at VP in pre-season.

I would be very surprised if he played again and a testimonial at Celtic  against villa would be fitting and probably attract a huge crowd.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2012, 01:03:54 PM »

I would be very surprised if he played again and a testimonial at Celtic  against villa would be fitting and probably attract a huge crowd.

Cross that bridge if and when we get to it, I thinks it's a little insensitive to speculate on his prospects of playing football again while he's still got bigger hurdles to negotiate.

Offline eastie

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2012, 01:07:26 PM »

Cross that bridge if and when we get to it, I thinks it's a little insensitive to speculate on his prospects of playing football again while he's still got bigger hurdles to negotiate.

I don't think it was meant to be insensitive chris, obviously we are all fully behind stan and the only real thing that matters is that he makes a full recovery from illness .

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2012, 02:36:18 PM »
Great to hear Stan appreciates the 19th minute applause. Anything that helps him can only be a good thing.

Stay strong, Stan.

Offline Chipsticks

• GM : 22.04.2015
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2012, 04:52:41 PM »
The arguments I've seen on here for stopping the 19th minute applause did make me think, but reading this completely puts the issue to rest. Keep going, Stan.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2012, 05:33:29 PM »

It's not just the '16 years olds', Clampy.
I had a bit of an argument with a few 'older guys (25-35+ at a guess) who were saying that other clubs show no respect by not clapping too.
I put the point. that at the end of the day it's a Villa thing and that as long as they didn't sing abuse I really couldn't care if they clapped, as you'd probably find that they don't realise what's going on.

I would love us to score during that 19th minute applause, we could even credit the goal to Stan :-)

Unfortunately there is no upper age limit on stupidity.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal