collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Thinking The Unthinkable  (Read 27694 times)

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
Re: Thinking The Unthinkable
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2012, 11:11:17 AM »
So last week, we were sure that all would be well, we'd definitely be clear of relegation, Benteke was going to get snapped up by Real Madrid and we were delighted with Lambert's ethos of bringing in young, talented players.

We get smashed at the league champions and suddenly....

We're shit,
everyone knows it,
we're definitely getting relegated...

This run of games was always going to be incredibly tough but once past Arsenal, we will start to see where we're really at. The Man U game for me really showed we have the quality there to go up this table with a few wins on the trot, we were never going to get these against the top 2.

I don't even mind people thinking we'll go down, it's just this endless swinging from one extreme to the other.

We'll be fine lads, keep your heads screwed on

I happen to agree with this. The old cliche about the season being a marathon not a sprint is an apt one. I mean, under DOL of all people we were 18th at Christmas and 6th by May.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2012, 11:14:04 AM »
So last week, we were sure that all would be well, we'd definitely be clear of relegation, Benteke was going to get snapped up by Real Madrid and we were delighted with Lambert's ethos of bringing in young, talented players.

We're shit,
everyone knows it,

This run of games was always going to be incredibly tough but once past Arsenal, we will start to see where we're really at. The Man U game for me really showed we have the quality there to go up this table with a few wins on the trot, we were never going to get these against the top 2.

I don't even mind people thinking we'll go down, it's just this endless swinging from one extreme to the other.

I happen to agree with this. The old cliche about the season being a marathon not a sprint is an apt one. I mean, under DOL of all people we were 18th at Christmas and 6th by May.

Rubbish, on Boxing Day 2003 we were 12th.

Online Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2012, 11:15:58 AM »

Nosebleed territory for us, that.

Offline Shrek

• It goes Football, Formula 1, Cricket in that order
  • GM : 04.06.2015
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2012, 11:18:06 AM »
Did Randy miss a trick?

Newcastle went down, got rid of who they wanted then rebuilt, West Ham have done the same.

Should we have just bit the bullet, gone down and rebuilt instead of buying Bent?
The problem we have now, is this isn't an option now, because of the new revenues coming in next year.

I know there is no gaurantee you will come straight back up, but, maybe it was a risk worth taking for the future of the club, because this is no fun scrapping at the bottom three years in a row. 

Hopefully it's irrelivent, Lambert keeps us up and we have a good few years of entertainment.

Offline Monty

« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2012, 11:18:43 AM »

We're shit,
everyone knows it,

Bloody memory. Anyway, I distinctly remember us being relegation zone at some point that season. Though I might have dreamed it.

Anyway, I think we're showing a few signs of life, I don't think we'll get relegated and we'll climb up the table around the Christmas period and new year, and I don't think changing my mind based on one heavy defeat at the home of a team who've spent half a billion on their current squad.

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2012, 11:19:18 AM »

We're shit,
everyone knows it,

Good post, I believe Arsenal are beatable though.

Offline Monty

« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2012, 11:20:20 AM »

We're shit,
everyone knows it,

Good post, I believe Arsenal are beatable though.

Agreed, darkest hour and all that. Plus, I think Benteke might just have been plucked out of Arsene Wenger's worst nightmares.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2012, 11:21:43 AM »
I still think we will get out of it we just need a couple of result's then we will be ok.

Offline David_Nab

• GM : 24.12.2015
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2012, 11:23:39 AM »
Arsenal was hopeless against Spurs till Adebayor had a mental moment

If anything it's going to be a question who who scores the most as neither team can defend.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2012, 11:42:54 AM »
I'm sick of the same posters who keep saying the football  is worse.. you know who you are! you never say anything positive. Lambert and the lads need support not sniping. Some of you seem to spend 24 hours on a keyboard  'supporting' . Yeah things don't look good from a far but most can see we play better football at least.

Yes because there's so much to be positive about this season!

Offline Quiet Lion

• GM : Feb, 2013
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2012, 11:46:55 AM »
. I don't think it'll happen but it's not impossible for one of the three below us to go on a run. Maybe QPR will spunk 20 mill in jan and finally click, or change manager and have a good run. Unlikely but you never know. Right now I don't see where we're gonna pull 30 points from in the remaining games. I really don't.

The problem is that the teams below us do not need to go on a run. They just need to accrue a couple more points than us over 25 games. For at least two of them that is not unlikely.

Actually you are both wrong. There are only two teams below us:

17      (18)   Reading   11   1   6   4   14   19   -5   9
18      (17)   Aston Villa   12   2   3   7   10   22   -12   9
19      (19)   Southampton   12   2   2   8   18   30   -12   8
20      (20)   Queens Park Rangers   12   0   4   8   9   23   -14   4

Online Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2012, 11:50:00 AM »
Depressing league table is depressing.

Offline Pete3206

« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2012, 11:57:21 AM »
Some Villa fans are insufferable cry babies when the chips are down.

Did the season finish yesterday? Have Villa been relegated? Do we just throw the towel in now?

Mayday! Mayday!

Offline Hoppo

« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2012, 12:01:46 PM »
Its not about being a better supporter Russo etc.. I know things are looking bleak but some seem to thrive when we lose..

Online Clampy

« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2012, 12:02:23 PM »
Some Villa fans are insufferable cry babies when the chips are down.

Did the season finish yesterday? Have Villa been relegated? Do we just throw the towel in now?

Mayday! Mayday!

Whilst i'm not sure cry babies is the word, the Randy Out brigade tend to re-surface after a few defeats.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal