collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:22:56 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: do defeats hurt as much  (Read 9056 times)

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
Re: do defeats hurt as much
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2012, 01:04:44 AM »
Oh hush you, i'm blushing.

Offline russon

« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2012, 07:51:08 AM »
and the clique goes on

Eh? Care to explain because you've lost me.
I suppose I was referring to the disappointing trait of some old stagers who delight in ridiculing less prolific posters before standing back in awe of their own smugness while their chums pat them on the back.

That said I did over react and am sorry Chris. Was having a bad day and lashed out from the safety of my keyboard rather than going down the driving range and knocking seven bells out of a bucket of balls.

Offline Rancid custard

« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2012, 08:58:55 AM »
I'm nowhere near as fervent as when I was maybe 18 and results still hurt when they go against us, but some hurt more than others. It's a matter of perspective, some would say we capitulated and spunked a 2 nil lead against utd. I'm very much of the 'we gave 'em a f*cking good go and everyone on the team tried and played flat out' school of thought, which makes the defeat easier to handle. It's when we don't show up against the teams we should, like Wigan or West Ham that bother me more.

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2012, 10:32:23 AM »
If you keep getting slapped you expect slaps, and you become more blase as each one lands. I expect to lose these days, and have become somewhat inured to it. The real worry is that I think our young players are beginning to feel the same way.

Offline martin o`who??

• Apparently I am my own worst enemy.
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2012, 12:56:18 PM »
Well, yesterdays absolutely frikkin wounded me.

Offline Mortimer's Bear

• GM : 30.05.2019
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2012, 01:10:19 PM »
It depends on the manner of the defeat. Last week against Man Utd I left Villa Park disappointed but extremely proud of every one of them, whereas yesterday I just felt horrible all evening.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2012, 04:05:34 PM »
For me the defeats hurt more as the years roll by.   For the Southampton debacle Damon and I were up ladders painting his house and as the goals flew in our net the painting got wilder and wilder and the language viler and viler.

Yesterday I was in a field in the pissing freezing rain replanting trees for the fourth time for the muntjaks to eat listening to the score on my van radio.   I came in at five in the pitch dark after roaming about lost in fields I have owned for forty years.   I threw my sopping wet clothes in the washing machine, made a supper of seven Snickers bars and a glass of water.  I then took two sleeping pills and went to bed at seven thirty.   I woke at half past ten to be violently sick then again at midnight and four with excruciating cramp.   I got up at six vowing to give up the Villa for ever, made a cup of tea, sat down here and wrote Thinking The Unthinkable, took another sleeping pill and went to bed again.

Nah, Villa defeats don't get to me.   Not much they don't.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 04:08:29 PM by brian green »

Offline ez

« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2012, 05:38:09 PM »
It bothers me for about an hour after. There was a time when Aston Villa was the be all and end all and it would bother me until the next game but i was younger then, well obviously. I have much less interest in football now and not much desire to watch other clubs play. I do wonder just how far my interest will wane.

Offline The Left Side

« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2012, 07:13:22 PM »
I only get down when we have been unjustly treated by referees, yesterday did annoy me with the ridiculous decisions by the linesman but I still feel like we will be ok this season, call me barmy but that is what i think.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2012, 07:17:14 PM »
Losing a game where we have been competitive is just about bearable however defeats like the annual manure come back and thrashings like yesterday are amazingly painful. Almost unbearable.

Offline Steve kirk

« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2012, 08:10:24 PM »
If you keep getting slapped you expect slaps, and you become more blase as each one lands. I expect to lose these days, and have become somewhat inured to it. The real worry is that I think our young players are beginning to feel the same way.
That about sums it up for me, you expect to lose and kind of get used to the defeats and just move on, in the old days I was wounded for days but not anymore, regarding those younger players they need more old pro's in the team to get us and them over the finish line. 

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2012, 11:10:11 PM »
I was more upset after the UTD than the Citeh result. Its the hope that kills you.

Offline willywombat

« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2012, 06:49:55 AM »
For me the defeats hurt more as the years roll by.   For the Southampton debacle Damon and I were up ladders painting his house and as the goals flew in our net the painting got wilder and wilder and the language viler and viler.

Yesterday I was in a field in the pissing freezing rain replanting trees for the fourth time for the muntjaks to eat listening to the score on my van radio.   I came in at five in the pitch dark after roaming about lost in fields I have owned for forty years.   I threw my sopping wet clothes in the washing machine, made a supper of seven Snickers bars and a glass of water.  I then took two sleeping pills and went to bed at seven thirty.   I woke at half past ten to be violently sick then again at midnight and four with excruciating cramp.   I got up at six vowing to give up the Villa for ever, made a cup of tea, sat down here and wrote Thinking The Unthinkable, took another sleeping pill and went to bed again.

Nah, Villa defeats don't get to me.   Not much they don't.

Blimey Brian, I feel a bit guilty for not letting it get to me so much these days!

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2012, 12:47:42 PM »

I suppose I was referring to the disappointing trait of some old stagers who delight in ridiculing less prolific posters before standing back in awe of their own smugness while their chums pat them on the back.

That said I did over react and am sorry Chris. Was having a bad day and lashed out from the safety of my keyboard rather than going down the driving range and knocking seven bells out of a bucket of balls.

No problem. I was worried i'd somehow joined a clique. Careful with the golf thing though!

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2012, 01:37:42 PM »
If Saturday night is anything to go by, then defeats most certainly hurt. Even yesterday I had a cloud hanging over me, thankfully Brian's post above brought the first smile of the day. Thanks, Mr G.

Today I'm trying to forget it never happened, focusing on other things but in the back of my mind I'm already thinking about the Arsenal game. I know we'll eventually come good again but the last decade has really been a slog supporting the Villa. It's about time that loyalty was repaid. I just hope I didn't use up all my credit in the 70's and early 80's.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal