collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Brad Guzan Depreciation thread.  (Read 188800 times)

Offline Pat McMahon

Re: The Brad Guzan Depreciation thread.
« Reply #750 on: January 19, 2016, 07:25:58 PM »
Then he (Cumbes) went and played cricket in the summer, those were the days

I think he's one of the top blokes at old Trafford now, don't know if he's still there

I am sure I saw somewhere that he had retired but was apparently one of the main drivers of the redevelopment of the ground.

I think he retired as CEO (may have been chief commercial officer) and was replaced by a Brummie, Dan Gidney, who used to manage the Ricoh and is definitely a nose. I knew him in Paris about 25 years ago.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #751 on: January 19, 2016, 10:20:27 PM »
Overall he was ok tonight.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #752 on: January 20, 2016, 03:58:28 AM »
He was good and bad in the highlights I saw. A good diving save and a cross that he completely missed and they should have scored from. Pretty much the Brad that we have come to know.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #753 on: January 20, 2016, 06:43:34 AM »
If that was the header that went over the bar neat the end of the first half it was offside any way.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #754 on: January 20, 2016, 10:36:17 AM »
Just did a quick bit of number crunching on goalies to see how they compare, as it seems that Guzan may well not play again for the 1st team.
Obviously, it is unfair to compare different era’s and there’s more to keeping that just conceding goals.
Its only a ‘rough’ guide so bear that in mind. The stats are for starts only so don’t include sub appearances or account for sendings off / injures. It only includes goalies who started 25 or more league and cup games.
Like I say, just a ‘rough’ guide, so don’t take it too seriously! (plus I haven't actually checked the figures too closely)

J Warner at the bottom of the list. His average not helped by this.

...when Villa reached the final where they again met local rivals West Bromwich Albion. In the final, played at Kennington Oval on 19 March 1892, Warner and his colleagues in the Villa defence were no match for Billy Bassett and the Albion forwards who won the match comfortably 3–0, with goals from Jasper Geddes, Sammy Nicholls and Jack Reynolds.
Suspicions were immediately raised over Warner's performance in the Cup Final. In the weeks preceding the Final, Warner skipped training sessions with the rest of the Villa side, and was also seen in earnest conversation with a mysterious man in a sharp suit and hat. He fumbled Geddes long-range shot and allowed the ball into the back of the net for West Brom's first goal, while he fumbled a straightforward save twenty minutes later, allowing Nicholls to score. Then finally in the second half Reynolds long-range shot flew into the net past a hopelessly out-of-position Warner. Rumours began to circulate that Warner had lost a substantial amount of money on a bet and had agreed to throw the Cup Final to recoup his losses.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Warner

Offline martin o`who??

• Apparently I am my own worst enemy.
« Reply #755 on: January 24, 2016, 05:17:23 PM »
Jimmy Cumbes is Number 1 and I remember him throwing the ball into the back of his own net.

Leeds ?
That was Gary Sprake I think

no first game of the season I think early 70's against leeds, he threw one in the net (not quite but it looked like that)
I could be wrong of course  as my memory is shot
It was first game after promtion back to the first division in 1975 v Leeds at VP, they had a shot he palmed it into the air and it dropped over his head into the net for their equaliser after Leighton Philips had given us the lead, they went on to win via a penalty if memory serves. Jimmy didn't last too long after that, within a few weeks we'd bought "Budgie" from Blackpool.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #756 on: January 24, 2016, 05:26:41 PM »
One of the most amazing things about that list is that there are 20 Villa keepers with a worse record than a centre half playing in goal.

Offline Chris Harte

« Reply #757 on: January 24, 2016, 05:29:07 PM »
Con Martin, is that? Played in the 50s?

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #758 on: January 24, 2016, 05:35:39 PM »
Yes. At corners we were terrified he would forget he had a 5 on his back and catch the ball.  He had the most amazing red/blonde hair like a tight waved hairy lean to sticking out at 45° from his head. Smashing bloke.

Offline martin o`who??

« Reply #759 on: April 10, 2016, 03:01:48 PM »
I think the amount of abuse being thrown at Guzan is a bit unfair, granted, he's made mistakes but given the amount of pressure our keepers come under its obvious he will make more than if he was playing behind defenders who could actually defend. He almost single-handedly kept us up a few seasons back and he doesn't deliberately set out to make mistakes. Sorry but I think it's a bit harsh to jeer/cheer(ironically)/boo his every move.

Offline in exile

• GM : 22.07.2022
« Reply #760 on: April 10, 2016, 04:14:57 PM »
I think the amount of abuse being thrown at Guzan is a bit unfair, granted, he's made mistakes but given the amount of pressure our keepers come under its obvious he will make more than if he was playing behind defenders who could actually defend. He almost single-handedly kept us up a few seasons back and he doesn't deliberately set out to make mistakes. Sorry but I think it's a bit harsh to jeer/cheer(ironically)/boo his every move.
Maybe, just maybe he is being booed for something else

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #761 on: April 10, 2016, 04:16:33 PM »

It's looking as though that one season was the exception, not the rule.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #762 on: April 10, 2016, 04:20:45 PM »
He hasn't been forgiven for Wycombegate.   The cock ups that have followed have just compounded people's anger towards him.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 04:40:02 PM by kippaxvilla2 »

Offline martin o`who??

« Reply #763 on: April 10, 2016, 04:28:33 PM »
Maybe, just maybe he is being booed for something else
Ah - you refer to the chewing gum incident at Wycombe, we probably wouldn't have heard too much about that if we'd been top of the league and winning 3-0. Wasn't lescott involved in that incident too but he doesn't seem to be copping it like Guzan is.

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #764 on: April 10, 2016, 04:31:48 PM »
He hasn't been forgiven for Wycombegate.   The cock ups that have followed have just compounded people's and towards him.

That's my view. I'll never forget that stunt at Wycombe. Spoke volumes about his attitude, therefore the quicker he goes the better.

Just to watch him dilly dally around the centre circle as long as he possibly can before he has to run to the Holte before kick off makes his selection worthwhile. Pathetic bloke.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal