collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Brad Guzan Depreciation thread.  (Read 188779 times)

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
Re: The Brad Guzan Depreciation thread.
« Reply #705 on: January 15, 2016, 07:15:02 PM »
Guzan isn't fit to lace Bozzie's boots.

I'll be glad when he's gone, only so I don't have to hear Chris Waddle getting his name wrong.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
Re: The Brad Guzan thread.
« Reply #706 on: January 15, 2016, 07:55:26 PM »
I'm not sure if the anger and insults directed at Guzan is due to the crap season both he and we are having, stupidity or just your typical football fan fickleness.

He's been an exceptional pro for us since he claimed the number 1 shirt back in the autumn of 2012. By 2013 we were all lining up to declare him Player of the Season. He followed that up with another great season, saving and earning us just as many points as Benteke. If he had one real weakeness, it was his kicking but other than that he's more than done his part in keeping us up every season.

Admittedly, this season he's been way below the standards he's set himself and there may be several reasons for that. I doubt he's had more than a couple of weeks off over the last few years, what with the World Cup and international summer tournaments for the US. The change in goalkeeping coach brought in by Sherwood (Tony Parks) and kept on by Garde is could possibly be another reason for his drop in form. The less said about the defence in front of him the better. It can't be easy for any goalkeeper so he has my sympathy. No doubt his confidence has taken a beating this season and it couldn't have helped reading since May how we were looking for (and failed to sign) a new goalkeeper.

Guzan is currently out the side due to his performances. Whether he's willing to try and fight his way back in the side is another matter. Sometimes a change of scene is as good as a rest and maybe a new club will help him get back to the standards he's shown for us and his international team over the years. He's been a more than decent keeper for us, as this thread clearly demonstrates but if he is to leave he'll go with my thanks for what he's done over the years, not some kneejerk reaction to him spitting his chewing gum or the few howlers he's let in this season.

Offline Fasth56

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #707 on: January 15, 2016, 10:16:39 PM »
No keeper should be beaten at the near post and he has managed not only once against Tottingham but followed that up against Sunderland and what about his positioning for the Swansea free kick, I could have put it in with the amount of space he left on his right hand side. These examples are without mentioning his inept playing it out from the back which has resulted in two or three goals.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #708 on: January 15, 2016, 10:30:31 PM »
He's a poor player, but he's not alone in that.

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #709 on: January 15, 2016, 10:41:54 PM »
I'm not sure if the anger and insults directed at Guzan is due to the crap season both he and we are having, stupidity or just your typical football fan fickleness.

He's been an exceptional pro for us since he claimed the number 1 shirt back in the autumn of 2012. By 2013 we were all lining up to declare him Player of the Season. He followed that up with another great season, saving and earning us just as many points as Benteke. If he had one real weakeness, it was his kicking but other than that he's more than done his part in keeping us up every season.

Admittedly, this season he's been way below the standards he's set himself and there may be several reasons for that. I doubt he's had more than a couple of weeks off over the last few years, what with the World Cup and international summer tournaments for the US. The change in goalkeeping coach brought in by Sherwood (Tony Parks) and kept on by Garde is could possibly be another reason for his drop in form. The less said about the defence in front of him the better. It can't be easy for any goalkeeper so he has my sympathy. No doubt his confidence has taken a beating this season and it couldn't have helped reading since May how we were looking for (and failed to sign) a new goalkeeper.

Guzan is currently out the side due to his performances. Whether he's willing to try and fight his way back in the side is another matter. Sometimes a change of scene is as good as a rest and maybe a new club will help him get back to the standards he's shown for us and his international team over the years. He's been a more than decent keeper for us, as this thread clearly demonstrates but if he is to leave he'll go with my thanks for what he's done over the years, not some kneejerk reaction to him spitting his chewing gum or the few howlers he's let in this season.
Very good post, I'd agree with all of this. He's not alone in a huge loss of form. If we had more quality, better management and coaching he might himself be in better form.

He's done brilliantly for us in previous seasons and this hatred towards him does not sit comfortably with me.

Offline MorrisNielson

« Reply #710 on: January 15, 2016, 10:53:12 PM »
Just did a quick bit of number crunching on goalies to see how they compare, as it seems that Guzan may well not play again for the 1st team.
Obviously, it is unfair to compare different era’s and there’s more to keeping that just conceding goals.
Its only a ‘rough’ guide so bear that in mind. The stats are for starts only so don’t include sub appearances or account for sendings off / injures. It only includes goalies who started 25 or more league and cup games.
Like I say, just a ‘rough’ guide, so don’t take it too seriously! (plus I haven't actually checked the figures too closely)

Offline Concrete Tom

• GM : Aug, 2013
« Reply #711 on: January 15, 2016, 11:45:53 PM »
Your "rough" guide has Enckleman near the top. Just saying.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #712 on: January 15, 2016, 11:57:44 PM »
Jimmy Cumbes is Number 1 and I remember him throwing the ball into the back of his own net.

Offline Martin Wadsworth

« Reply #713 on: January 16, 2016, 01:13:57 AM »
It was different seeing balls kicked by the goalkeeper ending up in the centre circle the other night. Guzman had a job keeping them on the pitch.

Online SamTheMouse

• Location: The Land of the Fragrant Founders of Human Rights, Fine Wines & Bikinis
  • GM : 03.11.2024
« Reply #714 on: January 16, 2016, 09:00:49 AM »
Bosnich was good, but he did have the teeny tiny advantage of playing behind God and Shaun Teale most of the time.

I think even I could keep goal halfway competently with those two in front of me.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #715 on: January 16, 2016, 02:43:50 PM »

Disagree entirely, there's nothing exceptional about him and there never has been. An average at best keeper, but for the last two seasons he's been utterly inept. The chewing gum incident is just the final straw. As in any job, if you're doing a shit job don't sit there taking the piss.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #716 on: January 16, 2016, 02:49:06 PM »
Guzan=Westwood=Richardson=Clark=CNZ=why we are constantly in a relegation scrap. Average won't cut it in the premiership.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #717 on: January 16, 2016, 02:51:09 PM »
He had a good season, he's in his late 20's isn't he? 1 good season, then the clangers started and have progressively gotten worse. He was never a good keeper to begin with and that's why we were letting him go before cheap skating him back in because we A. Couldn't be arsed scouting anyone and B. Wouldn't spend any money.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #718 on: January 16, 2016, 02:54:53 PM »

As a major critic of Guzan recently I agree with this post.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #719 on: January 16, 2016, 03:07:49 PM »
He doesn't do the fundamentals of goalkeeping well and has got progressively worse at the fundamentals the past two years. That's what will end his career with us. It's all good and well pulling off spectacular saves but if everything else is sub par and then throw in the growing number of hideous clangers, it just isn't a good combo for a top flight keeper.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal