collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Brad Guzan Depreciation thread.  (Read 188797 times)

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
Re: The Brad Guzan Appreciation thread.
« Reply #525 on: July 23, 2015, 11:00:56 AM »
Hull were in the Championship that season and Ali Al Habsi was Wigan's number 1, a keeper who was quite highly rated at the time. Joel Robles was their second choice (and FA cup-winning) keeper, now at Everton.

I don't think it changes the overall point that they probably wouldn't have been winning multiple player of the season awards for us had they been our goalkeeper rather than Guzan. And that had Ali Al-Habsi been our goalkeeper we would currently be playing the Championship. Watch back the highlights from that crucial QPR game.

Guzan's not perfect, but as Tom says above there are about eight players in our first team that are bigger priorities to upgrade before we get around to him.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #526 on: July 23, 2015, 11:10:51 AM »
There were a couple of saves in that QPR game that were truly world class. For all intents and purposes they looked like certain goals but somehow he got to them.

Offline RussellC

• GM : 04.04.2016
« Reply #527 on: July 23, 2015, 11:24:45 AM »
Hull were in the Championship that season and Ali Al Habsi was Wigan's number 1, a keeper who was quite highly rated at the time. Joel Robles was their second choice (and FA cup-winning) keeper, now at Everton.

I don't think it changes the overall point that they probably wouldn't have been winning multiple player of the season awards for us had they been our goalkeeper rather than Guzan. And that had Ali Al-Habsi been our goalkeeper we would currently be playing the Championship. Watch back the highlights from that crucial QPR game.

Guzan's not perfect, but as Tom says above there are about eight players in our first team that are bigger priorities to upgrade before we get around to him.

It doesn't, but picking out 2 goal-keepers (one of whom was in the Championship) who you think would have not performed as well as him doesn't really heap much praise on him either. I also wouldn't read too much into any player of the year award won since Stephen Ireland, unless you honestly believe that Guzan contributed more to us staying up that season than Benteke did? I also don't remember him 'keeping us' in too many games during that season, although granted he make saves (as per his job description) that contributed to us drawing (some) and winning (fewer) games.

To clarify though, I'm not for a second saying that Guzan is awful. In fact I'd put him in a group of around 7 or 8 keepers in the Premier League who are all of a very similar standard. However, I certainly think that Sherwood will be looking to upgrade him as soon as possible, as the widely reported interest in Begovic would suggest.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #528 on: July 23, 2015, 11:25:18 AM »
I'm not massively impressed with Guzan, but if we were to list positions where we need to be focusing (spending) attention now, goalkeeper wouldn't be there.

Online Dave

« Reply #529 on: July 23, 2015, 12:03:05 PM »

It doesn't, but picking out 2 goal-keepers (one of whom was in the Championship) who you think would have not performed as well as him doesn't really heap much praise on him either. I also wouldn't read too much into any player of the year award won since Stephen Ireland, unless you honestly believe that Guzan contributed more to us staying up that season than Benteke did? I also don't remember him 'keeping us' in too many games during that season, although granted he make saves (as per his job description) that contributed to us drawing (some) and winning (fewer) games.

To clarify though, I'm not for a second saying that Guzan is awful. In fact I'd put him in a group of around 7 or 8 keepers in the Premier League who are all of a very similar standard. However, I certainly think that Sherwood will be looking to upgrade him as soon as possible, as the widely reported interest in Begovic would suggest.
Alright, well I still wouldn't have replaced Guzan that season with any of Green, Jaaskelainen, Ruddy, Mignolet, whoever the Reading keeper was, Boruc, Foster, Schwarzer or Howard if that makes things better. And personally I don't think that putting any of them in would have seen us stay in the league.

You're welcome to read as much or as little as you want into player of the season awards, but it does indicate that both a large number of Villa supporters and a majority of Villa players thought that he wasn't just somebody who could be swapped with "pretty much any other keeper in the division without negatively affecting our league position".

And for your last point, if you feel that he is of a standard with 7-8 other keepers in the league and we finished below all but three teams last season, it suggests you think that he's a better player then the standard of the majority of our first team. So we're all in agreement that it's pretty low down on the list of things to change.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #530 on: July 23, 2015, 12:07:09 PM »
I'm happy with him. Decent keeper.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #531 on: July 23, 2015, 12:10:45 PM »
There were a couple of saves in that QPR game that were truly world class. For all intents and purposes they looked like certain goals but somehow he got to them.

I don't think his shot stopping is the problem, I think his distribution is the issue.  If you want to play a passing or even a longer ball style, then having a keeper with good distribution is a key part of that. 

Offline RussellC

« Reply #532 on: July 23, 2015, 12:19:02 PM »
So we're all in agreement that it's pretty low down on the list of things to change.

Or perhaps acknowledge that we have differing opinions, as opposed to telling me what I agree with? Particularly as I do think it's a priority, as a superior keeper would make me feel a lot less worried about our fragile (in my opinion) defence.

Offline rougegorge

« Reply #533 on: July 23, 2015, 12:23:09 PM »

I don't think his shot stopping is the problem, I think his distribution is the issue.  If you want to play a passing or even a longer ball style, then having a keeper with good distribution is a key part of that.

I agree; distribution and command of crosses more of an issue. I think playing in a poor defensive side for the last 3 years has probably played a part in some indecision as well.

If we are trailing, which has been more often than not, he can hurry things too much and then he always starts time-wasting with over half an hour to go if we are winning which sends out  another message.

However other positions need filling first.

Online Dave

« Reply #534 on: July 23, 2015, 12:30:03 PM »
So we're all in agreement that it's pretty low down on the list of things to change.

Or perhaps acknowledge that we have differing opinions, as opposed to telling me what I agree with? Particularly as I do think it's a priority, as a superior keeper would make me feel a lot less worried about our fragile (in my opinion) defence.
You're welcome to have whatever opinion that you want.

It's just that saying that you think that he's of the same standard as the keepers of lots of teams above us (when the rest of the team demonstrably isn't) doesn't really match up with it being a big priority as far as I can tell.

Offline dekko

« Reply #535 on: July 23, 2015, 12:32:35 PM »
EDIT: most of this has been covered since I typed this out but ill post it anyway.

I do think Guzan is a touch overrated by many on here (mainly when its suggested that he's in the top 5 or 6 keepers in the league).  For me, his distribution and decision making, particularly with the ball at his feet has been iffy for some time (Lambert's second preseason at least).  I also don't buy the idea that he was only dropped for one mistake at City, as he'd been making similar errors for a while - that one just happened to be particularly bad, high profile, and actually cost us a goal.

That said, his shot-stopping is pretty top notch, and I'd say overall he evens out to be a 'decent to good' player.  I think we can (and should) get a better keeper in eventually, but only after we sort out the much more pressing issues in the squad (like some new strikers, new midfielder or two, maybe a new RB and CB etc etc etc)

Offline RussellC

« Reply #536 on: July 23, 2015, 12:49:23 PM »

You're welcome to have whatever opinion that you want.

It's just that saying that you think that he's of the same standard as the keepers of lots of teams above us (when the rest of the team demonstrably isn't) doesn't really match up with it being a big priority as far as I can tell.

The point that I perhaps should have made more clearly is that those 7 or 8 teams all have better defences (and generally 'teams') than us, making it more of a priority for Aston Villa. For example, I see very little difference in ability between Guzan and Simon Mignolet.  However, I look at a player like Begovic and think that Stoke's recent league finishes have been largely inflated due to having him in goal. The same with Tim Krul at Newcastle and probably Schmeichel at Leicester last season.

I personally think that finding a long-term Number 1 has been pretty high-up on Sherwood's list of priorities, but has obviously been overtaken by events of the past couple of weeks.

Online UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #537 on: July 23, 2015, 12:58:20 PM »
The USA lost to Jamaica in the CONCACAF semi final.

http://www.espnfc.com.co/gamecast/statistics/id/430268/statistics.html

There's a 3rd place game on Saturday but hopefully Villa will request that Brad doesn't play and is allowed to head back early

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #538 on: July 23, 2015, 01:18:19 PM »
I like him. Very good on his line, not too shabby off it, recent wobbles apart. I'd almost go as far as to say that he's given me more confidence when coming off his line than any keeper we've had in my time watching. That said, if he can improve his distribution, both decision-making and execution, we'd be much better off for it. All too often have we seen possession conceded cheaply, and attacking opportunities missed, through inaccurate or slow clearances. But that's surely something he can work on which, doing so, won't be to the detriment of the rest of his game.

Offline supertom

« Reply #539 on: July 24, 2015, 10:31:28 PM »
I like him. Very good on his line, not too shabby off it, recent wobbles apart. I'd almost go as far as to say that he's given me more confidence when coming off his line than any keeper we've had in my time watching. That said, if he can improve his distribution, both decision-making and execution, we'd be much better off for it. All too often have we seen possession conceded cheaply, and attacking opportunities missed, through inaccurate or slow clearances. But that's surely something he can work on which, doing so, won't be to the detriment of the rest of his game.
Didn't he have most crosses claimed in the top flight two seasons running or something? It's a dying art and a part of his game that shouldn't be underestimated I don't think.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal