collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 08:31:47 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Hillbilly
[Today at 08:29:13 AM]

Re: Brian Evans by Scratchins
[Today at 08:23:18 AM]

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by Hillbilly
[Today at 08:13:33 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by algy
[Today at 07:57:27 AM]

Re: FFP by algy
[Today at 07:51:30 AM]

Re: FFP by Rigadon
[Today at 07:24:35 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 07:18:33 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Brad Guzan Depreciation thread.  (Read 188763 times)

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
Re: The Brad Guzan Appreciation thread.
« Reply #90 on: February 10, 2013, 11:32:36 PM »
I don't watch every minute of every premier league team but for me he's been premier league keeper of the season .....so far.
I think that most fans of a team with a semi-competent goalkeeper would say exactly the same thing.

I reckon Stoke, Newcastle, Spurs, QPR, Man City, Man Utd and Swansea fans would probably make the same claim.

Even though most of those have made far more mistakes than Guzan has despite probably having less work to do?
Yes, I absolutely think that fans of those teams would make that claim. For the reason above. Whether they (or we) are right, I'm not really sure any of us are objective enough to know.

I don't. I can't see in a million years any City fan saying Hart is keeper of the season. Or most of the other clubs saying it about theirs.

Offline Fernando Partridge

« Reply #91 on: February 10, 2013, 11:35:37 PM »
Great form and presence today. Glad we re signed him. I feel that Man utd or some European teams could well be in for him come seasons end. Knowing can get on cheap and need to raise funds.

Offline mr woo

« Reply #92 on: February 10, 2013, 11:39:47 PM »
Well it must be just me.

Upto now I've yet to see him carry out  anything to set him apart from a run-of-the-mill premiership keeper.

If anything, I'd say his command of his area is way below what it should be and has contributed to our poor record at corners this season. TBH, watching today, I get the impression he's been spoken to about it, and was acting on instructions to that effect. To his credit of course.

Is he better than Given? Arguable.
Better value for money? Unquestionably.

And I guess that's what's matters these days.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #93 on: February 10, 2013, 11:50:03 PM »
I don't watch every minute of every premier league team but for me he's been premier league keeper of the season .....so far.
I think that most fans of a team with a semi-competent goalkeeper would say exactly the same thing.

I reckon Stoke, Newcastle, Spurs, QPR, Man City, Man Utd and Swansea fans would probably make the same claim.

Even though most of those have made far more mistakes than Guzan has despite probably having less work to do?
Yes, I absolutely think that fans of those teams would make that claim. For the reason above. Whether they (or we) are right, I'm not really sure any of us are objective enough to know.

I don't. I can't see in a million years any City fan saying Hart is keeper of the season. Or most of the other clubs saying it about theirs.

Ok, here's a QPR fan saying that Cesar is the best keeper in the league. Go back a page and he's replying to a Spurs fan who says that Lloris is the best keeper in the league. It's then added to by somebody saying that Krul is the best keeper in the league.

Personally I think Guzan is great. I was one of the very, VERY few people saying that he should have been our number one 18 months ago rather than buying Given. But I'm also quite happy to accept that I see quite a lot more of Guzan than I do of every other goalkeeper. And when the likes of Vorm or De Gea save their team like Guzan has done a few times for us this season, their fans probably aren't sitting there thinking "yeah, but he's still not as good as that American bloke at Villa".

Just like we're not saying that we want to swap Guzan for anyone else at the moment.

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #94 on: February 10, 2013, 11:51:49 PM »
Those two saves from Guzan, right at the end, could be worth Ł60m quid to Aston Villa if they happen to keep us up.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #95 on: February 10, 2013, 11:59:39 PM »
The QPR fan specifically mentions the last few games. Hardly a ringing endorsement for keeper of the year.

Of course every fan is biased, but I really can't see most Newcastle, CiŁy or Manure fans claiming their keeper is the best. The again, some of them are so deluded they probably do. Vorm is hard to judge having been out for a while. Lloris will always be a contender when he somehow wins keeper of the week without making a single save.

I doubt any keeper has made more saves than Guzan this season though. And how of the many many goals we've conceded can you blame him for? That's why it would be between him and Begovic. If i'd seen Begovic every week I may rate him a lot higher, or lower.

Offline Steve R

• GM : Aug, 2013
« Reply #96 on: February 11, 2013, 01:15:46 AM »
Fans will always look at their own players with a different perspective. With the trouble we've had, watching Guzan cream all in his path to come out and collect yet another cross today is bound to evoke a 'thank fuck for the goalie'.

Watch any other team do it and it's more likely a 'waste of a cross'.

That aside I suppose the acid test is would we swap him for one of the others? I wouldn't.

As for the prospect of him moving on, we may bin dross cheaply, but we at least have something of a track record for getting a decent price for ability. Guzan presumably has just signed a 4 (or more) year contract. Barring an everything-must-go fire sale he'll still be here next year.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #97 on: February 11, 2013, 01:57:13 AM »
Fans will always look at their own players with a different perspective. With the trouble we've had, watching Guzan cream all in his path to come out and collect yet another cross today is bound to evoke a 'thank fuck for the goalie'.

Watch any other team do it and it's more likely a 'waste of a cross'.

Steve,i dug up this thread not because of his performance today. i've been meaning to do it for ages. As I said in my earlier post today, for me he's been our Player of the Season to date, which is kind of ironic considering we have the second worst goals-against record in the league.

Every great team needs a great goalkeeper. Right now we have the goalkeeper without the great team. if we can stay up this season, I'm expecting he'll be joined by a few others worthy to play in the same team as him.

Slightly Off Topic: How the hell is he not USA number one. Tim Howard? Somebody is having a laugh.

Offline sonlyme

« Reply #98 on: February 11, 2013, 02:08:43 AM »
Am I the only one who thinks that had we played him against Bradford we wouldn't have conceded from those set pieces?

No you're not.  Bradford's lame goal at VP happened because Wee Jimmy Given stayed on his line (as always) and watched the ball fly past him.  Guzan brings some relief to his defenders by commanding his area and taking crosses out of the air.  Not that wee Shay is a bad goalie - cos he isn't - but he needs a very strong well drilled defence in front of him.  Shay is a shot stopper - much like Friedel was.  At last we've found Jimmy Rimmer's long lost son.

Offline Mortimer's Bear

• GM : 30.05.2019
« Reply #99 on: February 11, 2013, 07:38:47 AM »
Well it must be just me.

Upto now I've yet to see him carry out  anything to set him apart from a run-of-the-mill premiership keeper.

If anything, I'd say his command of his area is way below what it should be and has contributed to our poor record at corners this season. TBH, watching today, I get the impression he's been spoken to about it, and was acting on instructions to that effect. To his credit of course.

That's a very harsh assessment in my opinion.

Offline Grande Pablo

« Reply #100 on: February 11, 2013, 10:06:12 AM »
Am I the only one who thinks that had we played him against Bradford we wouldn't have conceded from those set pieces?

No you're not.  Bradford's lame goal at VP happened because Wee Jimmy Given stayed on his line (as always) and watched the ball fly past him.  Guzan brings some relief to his defenders by commanding his area and taking crosses out of the air.  Not that wee Shay is a bad goalie - cos he isn't - but he needs a very strong well drilled defence in front of him.  Shay is a shot stopper - much like Friedel was.  At last we've found Jimmy Rimmer's long lost son.

Here here.  Not that it would help us stay in the league, but I firmly believe we'd be in the League Cup final had Guzan have played both legs.  Can't vouch for the FA Cup as footage except the goals has been as rare as hens teeth.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #101 on: February 11, 2013, 04:22:33 PM »
I think it was obvious after the first leg against Bradford that Guzan should have played the 2nd leg.

I think he's been great for us this season. Those two saves at the end yesterday were superb.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #102 on: February 11, 2013, 04:35:15 PM »
Well it must be just me.

That's a very harsh assessment in my opinion.

I'd love to know what the villa squad have done to piss you off this weekend, that Guzan, Bowery and Dawkins you've slagged off to varying degrees.

Guzan - he's proven himself to be a capable premier league keeper and has the bonus of having made very few errors, comparatively.

The most impressive thing for me though is how he's come back after Big Sam gave him a bit of a going over with the blackburn tactics in that run of games against them.  That he came away from those matches and changed his game to command the box is a huge credit to his character, he clearly has the will to succeed and he's still very young for a top flight goalkeeper, with probably 8-10 years left at this level and 4-5 before he'll be at his peak.

He's very much part of the "young and hungry" setup at the club and deserves a lot of credit, was really good to see how pleased he was with the 2nd goal and the win, more than many footballers he comes across as really being part of the club.  Top fella, glad we did the right thing and got him back and then gave him the game time he deserved.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #103 on: February 11, 2013, 05:42:32 PM »
The thing about outfield players is that you can directly compare them against each other but for keepers it's hard.

I've loved a lot of our keepers, but I reckon a lot of fans like their's too, unless they 'do an Enckleman', it's one of the more romantic positions, and keepers generally are a little bit odd.

Spink and Bosnich were my particular favourites but I always hold out hope that another one will join them; I reckon Guzan might do it, I thought that Given certainly would and James disappointed me.

I like Guzan a lot though, he's passionate, makes great saves and seems to be more commanding and willing to come for the ball.

Offline eastie

« Reply #104 on: February 11, 2013, 05:46:46 PM »
Those two saves from Guzan, right at the end, could be worth Ł60m quid to Aston Villa if they happen to keep us up.

As could the much maligned darren bents excellent clearance from carrolls goalbound shot, or nzogbias free kick.

On such things can a season turn - as for guzan i have been delighted with his form on the whole his season and long may it continue.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal