collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Brad Guzan Depreciation thread.  (Read 188773 times)

Offline supertom

Re: The Brad Guzan Appreciation thread.
« Reply #75 on: February 10, 2013, 07:01:22 PM »
He's been brilliant. He can't help being overworked because of an often dire defence and couldn't have done much more with most of the goals conceded.
For me he's been consistently good. He's got everything in his locker. Top keeper. As much as we've been poor this season, the points we've won in large parts, because of Guzan, mean we're not out of touch. He saved us two points today in the last 10 minutes.

In all honesty, though I think Given's a decent keeper, had he been our number one, we'd have under 20 points at this stage IMO. Certainly in that spell we went 5 unbeaten, Guzan was instrumental. He was also one of the least culpable in our worst run. Lambert said it himself, if not for Guzan, we could have conceded double in that godawful stretch.
Top keeper.

Offline Rancid custard

« Reply #76 on: February 10, 2013, 07:41:30 PM »
He had a good rep when MON brought him in from Chicago, albeit with dodgy work permit problems at the time and we all figured he'd be Brad snr.'s replacement in the next couple of seasons. I remember him being especially good on our league cup run to the final and in the peace cup. He had a really really good penalty saving rate. The only thing that bothered me at the time was he didn't seem to command his area that well and was a bit uncertain on when to come and collect and when to stay still.

A couple of managerial changes later and the purchase of Shay must've fucked him off no end, but I'm happy to see him playing regularly and know that it's not his lack of ability that's costing us goals. He's more vocal now, commands his area better and his shot stopping/reading ability has improved as well,  not bad for a little guy. As others have said we'd be f*cked without him. If you're willing to forget the fact he was released and re-signed, next to Gabby isn't he the longest serving member of the squad?

Offline sonlyme

« Reply #77 on: February 10, 2013, 08:09:56 PM »
As you can see if you read this thread - there are many folk who follow Villa who have a unique perspective on what football is all about.

Guzan has made more saves than any other goal keeper in the premier league this season.  Fact.

Guzan has come for and caught more balls into his box than any other premier keeper. Fact.

We can't defend.  Fact.

Don't go getting the two mixed up.  Guzan is becoming like Nigel Spink (who? comes the cry)  Big, athletic, good at stopping shots, good at commanding his area.  The only element Brad lacks is confidence in organising his defence - but that is coming.  True - sometimes he comes for balls he shouldn't - but he is trying his damnedest to help his defence.  He was a star again today as West Ham launched their aerial bombardment.

He is like so many of our academy and reserve team - good but inexperienced - the talent remains - the experience will come.

UTV

Offline Lky

« Reply #78 on: February 10, 2013, 08:21:29 PM »
I don't watch every minute of every premier league team but for me he's been premier league keeper of the season .....so far.

Offline VillaAlways

• GM : 23.10.2016
« Reply #79 on: February 10, 2013, 10:43:23 PM »
He's bloody great isn't he?

Offline avfc_1874

« Reply #80 on: February 10, 2013, 10:45:03 PM »
Am I the only one who thinks that had we played him against Bradford we wouldn't have conceded from those set pieces?

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #81 on: February 10, 2013, 10:49:56 PM »
Met him in Solihull a few weeks ago. I'm 6'1" and he towered over me. Absolute beast.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #82 on: February 10, 2013, 11:00:09 PM »
Am I the only one who thinks that had we played him against Bradford we wouldn't have conceded from those set pieces?
I'd have said that was a given personally.

No pun intended.

Offline Summers

« Reply #83 on: February 10, 2013, 11:05:23 PM »
Goose is a beast. Dominant & commanding.

richtheholtender

« Reply #84 on: February 10, 2013, 11:09:03 PM »

Has he a brother we can stick at centre half?

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #85 on: February 10, 2013, 11:10:16 PM »

Sure that isn't his advert in an S&M magazine?

Offline Chipsticks

• GM : 22.04.2015
« Reply #86 on: February 10, 2013, 11:13:10 PM »
Fortunately there's no chance of a bigger club coming in and nicking him due to our horrendous goal difference, but we all know that's not down to him. Excellent keeper.

Online Dave

« Reply #87 on: February 10, 2013, 11:19:44 PM »
I don't watch every minute of every premier league team but for me he's been premier league keeper of the season .....so far.
I think that most fans of a team with a semi-competent goalkeeper would say exactly the same thing, because from a defensive perspective you only really pay attention to what your own team is doing.

It's very easy to see that Van Persie and Michu are scoring lots of goals, but unless you watch every game then it's hard to know which players are doing better than others.

I reckon Stoke, Newcastle, Spurs, QPR, Man City, Man Utd and Swansea fans would probably make the same claim that you make above.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 11:21:24 PM by Dave »

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #88 on: February 10, 2013, 11:21:18 PM »
I think that most fans of a team with a semi-competent goalkeeper would say exactly the same thing.

I reckon Stoke, Newcastle, Spurs, QPR, Man City, Man Utd and Swansea fans would probably make the same claim.

Even though most of those have made far more mistakes than Guzan has despite probably having less work to do? Only Begovic has been better IMO.

Online Dave

« Reply #89 on: February 10, 2013, 11:23:47 PM »
I think that most fans of a team with a semi-competent goalkeeper would say exactly the same thing.

I reckon Stoke, Newcastle, Spurs, QPR, Man City, Man Utd and Swansea fans would probably make the same claim.

Even though most of those have made far more mistakes than Guzan has despite probably having less work to do?
Yes, I absolutely think that fans of those teams would make that claim. For the reason above. Whether they (or we) are right, I'm not really sure any of us are objective enough to know.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal