collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 10:33:49 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 10:25:19 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Des Little
[Today at 10:12:59 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 10:33:49 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 10:32:30 AM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 10:25:19 AM]

Re: FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by FrankyH
[Today at 10:19:07 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Des Little
[Today at 10:12:59 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 10:10:56 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Brad Guzan Depreciation thread.  (Read 188882 times)

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
Re: The Brad Guzan Appreciation thread.
« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2012, 11:22:17 AM »
He's just the best isn't he ?

At 27, young for a goalie, with what should be his best years ahead of him, is there any other goalkeeper in the prem you would swap him for ?

The only one to make a case for would be Hart and he's not looked that impressive recently.

The standard of Prem 'keepers is quite low at the moment.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2012, 12:01:13 PM »
He's just the best isn't he ?

At 27, young for a goalie, with what should be his best years ahead of him, is there any other goalkeeper in the prem you would swap him for ?

The only one to make a case for would be Hart and he's not looked that impressive recently.
I think you could very easily make a case for De Gea, Krul, Vorm or Lloris. Particularly if his young age is what particularly excites us.

Offline supertom

« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2012, 01:17:50 PM »
I think Arsenal would love to have a keeper like Guzan. They've had bobbins keepers since Seaman left. All butter fingered clowns or mad bastards.

Guzan is quality. I think there's a lot of potential there. In keeper terms he could be a worldy IMO. There's actually very few keepers around who can catch a ball, or confidently claim a high ball. It's always punch first. I like Guzan because he's old school and there's still very much a place for that.

I'd agree though that generally the standard of keepers in the EPL is far lower than it was 10 years ago.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2012, 01:54:47 PM »
Guzan radiated calm in the last 10 minutes last night.  Exactly what we needed.

Offline Smoke

• GM : Aug, 2013
« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2012, 02:19:49 PM »
As an Englishman I'm happy to say...

Thank fuck he's not English! He's quickly turning into a top keeper and without the distraction of England call ups, National press, Sitting in press conferences in an England track suite talking about Champions league football etc.

Gooooooooooooosssssaaannnnnnnnn

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2012, 02:26:08 PM »
I love Guzan. He's solid as a rock and takes so much pressure off his inexperienced defence by coming for the ball so often. And he makes great and often unorthodox saves.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2012, 02:34:16 PM »
I thought one of his catches yesterday was very brave - almost every keeper would have punched this particular one.

He nearly dropped a bollock by giving the ball to Bannan when he was marked and it could have been costly had Bannan not dealt with it. Hopefully he won't do that again and otherwise he was quality.

Credit too to Given. Sat on the bench he could have easily been a misery-arse but he was genuinely supporting the lads and willing them on.

Offline Jarpie

« Reply #52 on: November 28, 2012, 03:41:33 PM »
I think Arsenal would love to have a keeper like Guzan. They've had bobbins keepers since Seaman left. All butter fingered clowns or mad bastards.

Guzan is quality. I think there's a lot of potential there. In keeper terms he could be a worldy IMO. There's actually very few keepers around who can catch a ball, or confidently claim a high ball. It's always punch first. I like Guzan because he's old school and there's still very much a place for that.

I'd agree though that generally the standard of keepers in the EPL is far lower than it was 10 years ago.

I've always thought Seaman was overrated, me and my friends called him Porky Pig-Seaman, he was good as shot-stopper but couldn't jump to save his life.

Offline seanthevillan

• pick our team
« Reply #53 on: November 28, 2012, 04:12:17 PM »

Not sure about that - look at a list of Premiership keepers from 2002 and you see names like Casey Keller, Seaman, Barthez - I just saw a poll which voted Jerzy Dudek the best in the league at the time!

I think there was a period when Cech, Van de Saar, Reina (along with Schwarzer, Friedel, Given, Robinson etc) were all at their best - maybe you could make a case for them being better but right now there are some excellent keepers around (Lloris, Vorm, Hart).

Offline kipeye

• GM : PCM
« Reply #54 on: November 28, 2012, 05:39:23 PM »
I love Guzan. He's solid as a rock and takes so much pressure off his inexperienced defence by coming for the ball so often. And he makes great and often unorthodox saves.
Same here.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #55 on: November 28, 2012, 06:08:47 PM »
It's so reassuring to know that even when the defence goes missing, Brad is there and you'll have to be good to beat him.

Offline Ryu

« Reply #56 on: November 28, 2012, 07:27:50 PM »
He was so strong taking balls in the air last night, which was vital as our defence frequently looked quite shaky.  It wa encouraging to see as dealing with crosses etc. was the one concern I think most fans had about him before he got a real run in the team.

I really like him.  He makes a lot of saves with his feet and other saves you could say look a bit scruffy but he does it so often it can only be down to good positioning and anticipation that he gets something in the way of the ball.

Offline Shrek

• It goes Football, Formula 1, Cricket in that order
  • GM : 04.06.2015
« Reply #57 on: November 28, 2012, 08:31:51 PM »
What a turn around, last year some of us wanted to stick with Guzan and were shot down (much the same way we are over Bent now)

Where are all the Given lovers now? Because I think we'd have a lot less points if he'd been in goal this season.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #58 on: February 10, 2013, 04:03:03 PM »
For me, despite letting in so many goals, he's been our Player of the Season, to date. Yes, Benteke has scored some great goals but Brad has made sure we haven't been stuffed in every game. Thank god we re-signed him.

Today was just another example of why he's our Number 1. We're lucky to have him and hopefully we can keep hold of him come the summer. It wouldn't surprise me if a few of the top clubs come a calling, I really think he wouldn't be out of place at the Theatre of Shite, Klanfield or the Emirates.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #59 on: February 10, 2013, 04:04:14 PM »
Thank you Brad.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal