collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Have we become a feeder club ?  (Read 14437 times)

Offline phantom limb

• GM : 05.02.2021
Re: Have we become a feeder club ?
« Reply #60 on: November 17, 2012, 12:03:54 AM »
Everyone is a "feeder club" if the price is right. It's a nonsense. Sell high and buy low, unfortunately we failed to replace players such as Barry, Young, Milner and that's why we've struggled. I hope that we won't make the same mistakes again.

Offline sendô WHU

« Reply #61 on: November 20, 2012, 09:23:48 PM »
Every club is a "feeder club" for want of a better term these days. The gulf in money, the mercenary movement of players and the want everything now at any price generation is so great that even clubs like Arsenal cannot hold onto their top stars, with the likes of RVP moving to Man Utd, Fabregas going to Barcelona or Ashley Cole going to Chelsea.

Even Man Utd couldn't stop Ronaldo going to Real Madrid. Long gone are the days when middle sized clubs could build a decent side, hold onto the core players and supplement the side to make a push for the title. It's now an endless cycle of the lofty heights of mid table, followed by a fire sale of the best players, their being replaced with mediocrity and subsequent relegation battles.

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #62 on: November 20, 2012, 09:55:05 PM »
We are a feeder club like Arsenal etc etc

Offline midnite

• GM : 30.03.2016
« Reply #63 on: November 20, 2012, 09:59:38 PM »
Every club is a "feeder club" for want of a better term these days. The gulf in money, the mercenary movement of players and the want everything now at any price generation is so great that even clubs like Arsenal cannot hold onto their top stars, with the likes of RVP moving to Man Utd, Fabregas going to Barcelona or Ashley Cole going to Chelsea.

Even Man Utd couldn't stop Ronaldo going to Real Madrid. Long gone are the days when middle sized clubs could build a decent side, hold onto the core players and supplement the side to make a push for the title. It's now an endless cycle of the lofty heights of mid table, followed by a fire sale of the best players, their being replaced with mediocrity and subsequent relegation battles.

So very true.

The only way not to be a feeder club is to owned by the richest people on the planet.

Offline Karl Bridges

« Reply #64 on: November 20, 2012, 11:18:49 PM »
Anyone outside of the Champs League is a sitting duck.

Offline 5ft811st2 Durham

• Durham
« Reply #65 on: November 20, 2012, 11:29:04 PM »
Irrelevant really that Man U sold Ronaldo to Real Madrid , that's the only player they've lost against their will that I can think of for a quarter of a century.

On the other hand if Ferguson wants any of our players he only has to click his fingers. 

The only other clubs that currently can't be pilfered are Man City and Chelsea.

All other clubs in the prem are definitely to a lesser or greater extent feeder clubs.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #66 on: November 20, 2012, 11:30:39 PM »
Arsenal are in the Champions League, and they're still a sitting duck.

Being in the Premier League is still a huge draw for players in most European leagues though, even if their teams are in the Champions League. We need to get the scouting right (and stay up, obviously).

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #67 on: November 20, 2012, 11:48:37 PM »
The reality is that there are not enough quality players to go aroung to match the money in the game today, both in the UK and Europe (and it is also stretching worldwide now).

Until there is a relative parity in playing strength of those clubs that want to and have the ability to spend money, football will never be competitive again.  Is now the time for the super rich clubs to go away and play in a league on their own and leave the national leagues to the rest.

Offline danlanza

« Reply #68 on: November 21, 2012, 07:42:20 PM »
The reality is that there are not enough quality players to go aroung to match the money in the game today, both in the UK and Europe (and it is also stretching worldwide now).

Until there is a relative parity in playing strength of those clubs that want to and have the ability to spend money, football will never be competitive again.  Is now the time for the super rich clubs to go away and play in a league on their own and leave the national leagues to the rest.
Now that could be very interesting. All the top clubs from around the world playing in one league together. Maybe it would take to much revenue away from the Prem though ?

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #69 on: November 21, 2012, 07:55:03 PM »
Hmm, not sure. Be interesting to see how a truly competitive league with away fans and local rivalries would compare to a league with the best players but no promotion/relegation and lots of meaningless games.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 07:56:34 PM by Percy McCarthy »

Offline martin o`who??

• Apparently I am my own worst enemy.
« Reply #70 on: November 21, 2012, 08:43:00 PM »
We`ve been a Feeder club since the day we sold Bruce Rioch to Arsenal.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #71 on: November 21, 2012, 09:25:35 PM »
It was Derby. And way before that, Trevor Ford, Danny Blanchflower, Gerry Hitchens.....

Maybe it started with Frank Barson.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 09:27:07 PM by Percy McCarthy »

Offline Quiet Lion

• GM : Feb, 2013
« Reply #72 on: November 21, 2012, 09:26:35 PM »
The question is are we immune from the universal law of football that states: At any point in time the richest and most successful clubs can buy players from poorer and less successful clubs.

The answer is No

Offline danlanza

« Reply #73 on: November 21, 2012, 09:32:39 PM »
The question is are we immune from the universal law of football that states: At any point in time the richest and most successful clubs can buy players from poorer and less successful clubs.

The answer is No
That was my original point. We are nothing but a club that brings on and nurtures young talent, then we sell for a profit to the highest bidder, feeding the bigger clubs. A bloody feeder club. Sad when you look at it.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal