collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 03:18:52 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by LeeB
[Today at 03:16:06 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Dave
[Today at 03:07:56 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by LeeB
[Today at 03:00:41 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Risso
[Today at 02:58:06 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Monty
[Today at 02:54:11 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by LeeB
[Today at 02:51:15 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Astnor
[Today at 02:46:26 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Have we become a feeder club ?  (Read 14386 times)

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
Re: Have we become a feeder club ?
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2012, 10:13:03 AM »
Every club is a feeder club if one of a pool of other clubs comes in for one of their players. It's just that the bigger you are, the smaller the pool of predatory clubs you have to worry about.

What is important is how you spend the money you get from sales. In our case, recently, it has been "poorly" or "not at all", hence the current malaise.

Offline danlanza

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2012, 10:13:33 AM »
I would love to see us up near the top again, either by doing it the Mancity way/ Chelski way, or by doing it using our scouting knowledge to build a team. But when you have comments made by players like the ones in the press at the moment, what chance do we have. Are there no players out there that will say
" My father told me about Aston Villa winning the European Cup against one of the best European teams ever, and i would love to be part of something the same at Aston Villa, it will take time but i have joined Villa because i believe we can be there again, sometime in the future." Bollox to the statements that have been made so far in the press, they make me cringe.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2012, 10:14:10 AM »
We need to get to that level, and hopefully by buying low and selling high we'll eventually get into that position.
Not a chance Paul.
As soon as one of our discoveries has a purple patch, say Benteke or Westwood in the future, the big clubs will be in to snap them up. We'll never be able to hang on to players long enough for us to make that massive step up.

Disagree, we can still make a fat profit on these players and then its all down to how we reinvest.

But surely not3bad the cycle starts again?
We get £15m for Benteke, re-invest in 3 new players, one of which shines and then get's sold on again.
You need to hang on to a core group of players for a few seasons to be able to get anywhere.

With the wild card of Man City kicking about, there's always a danger of them buying an up and coming player as a 'spoiler.'
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 10:16:13 AM by Rip Van doin' the Lambert walk »

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2012, 10:15:37 AM »

" My father told me about Aston Villa winning the European Cup against one of the best European teams ever, and i would love to be part of something the same at Aston Villa, it will take time but i have joined Villa because i believe we can be there again, sometime in the future." Bollox to the statements that have been made so far in the press, they make me cringe.
If only.
Let's be honest, had Manure come in for Ian Taylor in his prime, he'd have been off like a shot.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2012, 10:20:31 AM »
Another cheery Friday at H & V.

Offline danlanza

« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2012, 10:23:09 AM »
We should be used to it.
Lets hope we can have a cheery post match thread tomorrow eh ?

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2012, 10:36:08 AM »
We should be used to it.
Lets hope we can have a cheery post match thread tomorrow eh ?

I have been getting used to it.

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2012, 10:36:26 AM »
Cheery or Miserable, it's reality.

We can deal with 'what if's' all day, but the reality is that we're not one of the top clubs and we're unlikely to be for the forseeable future.

If you're telling me that a policy of buying cheap and selling high will propel us into the Champions League, then I have to be sceptical at best.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2012, 10:37:25 AM »
Cheery or Miserable, it's reality.

We can deal with 'what if's' all day, but the reality is that we're not one of the top clubs and we're unlikely to be for the forseeable future.

If you're telling me that a policy of buying cheap and selling high will propel us into the Champions League, then I have to be sceptical at best.

I agree it's unlikely Mark, but it's our only real choice. Spurs have shown it is possible to do so, and we have to hope we can do the same.

Offline danlanza

« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2012, 10:38:31 AM »
Sceptical is where i am at the moment.

« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2012, 10:40:42 AM »
Sceptical is where i am at the moment.
I'm currently living in a cottage in Resigned after renting out a flat in Disillusioned for a few months.

Offline Merv

« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2012, 10:50:44 AM »
Seems to me that pretty much all clubs are, with the exception of the top few. Even Arsenal.

Yes. There are really only three in the UK who aren't.

But it's not necessarily a bad thing. If it works properly, it means us developing/signing players for very little, getting two, three, four good seasons from them (and if the top three or four clubs want them, they're playing very well), sell for several times more than we paid for them initially, re-invest.

It's a common enough model. It's how Arsenal have operated for years.

Offline danlanza

« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2012, 10:55:18 AM »
Seems to me that pretty much all clubs are, with the exception of the top few. Even Arsenal.

Yes. There are really only three in the UK who aren't.

But it's not necessarily a bad thing. If it works properly, it means us developing/signing players for very little, getting two, three, four good seasons from them (and if the top three or four clubs want them, they're playing very well), sell for several times more than we paid for them initially, re-invest.

It's a common enough model. It's how Arsenal have operated for years.
Agreed. But because they have been doing it for so long that makes them years in front of us. They do have an exceptional scouting team in place.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2012, 11:06:54 AM »
Clubs can do it, come from nowhere and secure CL qualification in one season where everything comes together. 

Malaga did it in Spain (admittedly by spending shit loads).  Montpellier did it via Ligue 1 last year by not spending very much at all. 
Different leagues to ours, of course.   But they were up against more established clubs who had spent more over a period of time. Don't both leagues have less CL spaces available than ours too?  Though Spain might be different now.

For us to do it everything would need to click in nine months.   As others have pointed out now, with parasites like Citeh around, there isn't really the opportunity to 'build'  over an extended period of time anymore -as we know to our cost. 

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2012, 11:11:59 AM »
To be a feeder club, there would have to be a formal contract with another specific football club where we have agreed to develop players for them.

We sold Milner for a deal worth £26m, Downing went for £20m, Young had 1 year left on his contract so we sold him for £18m rather than let him go for nothing. We got everything we could for these players (who in most cases had made it clear that they no longer wanted to play for us). If you have good replacements lined up, these were good deals. That's been our problem - not having a good scouting system in place (which hopefully we are on the way to resolving). I don't know how that fits into the idea of us being a feeder club.

You could ask where we are a selling club and of course we are - as are everyone else if the price is right. Man United sold Ronaldo to Real Madrid for instance.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal