collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 04:08:44 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by adrenachrome
[Today at 02:23:42 AM]

International Rugby by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:12:03 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by DeKuip
[Today at 12:01:20 AM]

West Ham v Aston Villa post match by Pat McMahon
[March 18, 2024, 11:47:36 PM]

Games Moved for TV by Percy McCarthy
[March 18, 2024, 11:00:20 PM]

Press-ing on by Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle
[March 18, 2024, 10:48:26 PM]

Luton A by purpletrousers
[March 18, 2024, 10:24:29 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 04:08:44 AM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by adrenachrome
[Today at 02:23:42 AM]

Re: FFP by adrenachrome
[Today at 02:10:34 AM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:38:48 AM]

Re: International Rugby by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:12:03 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by DeKuip
[Today at 12:01:20 AM]

Re: West Ham v Aston Villa post match by Pat McMahon
[March 18, 2024, 11:47:36 PM]

Re: West Ham v Aston Villa post match by olaftab
[March 18, 2024, 11:36:32 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: English game becoming more continental?  (Read 3973 times)

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
English game becoming more continental?
« on: November 15, 2012, 04:51:41 PM »
Okay, so this might be a rhetorical question with a fairly obvious answer, resulting from the increased number of imports. And this article here certainly makes the case for a more considered approach to the game.
But the real questions that arise from this journalistic piece are:
- is the game better for the changes that have taken place?
- do we, the "real fans" who turn up to watch games live and regularly, think that we see more exciting games?
- has the evolution benefitted the Villa in any way?

Whaddya reckon?

Offline eastie

Re: English game becoming more continental?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 05:16:27 PM »
I remember the days when spurs brought in Ossie and Ricky and of course now the game is flooded with foreign players, they have added flair and improved the skill level in many ways but restricted the young homegrown players from breaking through as well.

Good and bad aspects really - the game itself is not as exciting to me as it was in the 70s and 80s but for that I blame money more than the foreign players coming in- nowadays it's the richest clubs that prosper and rule the roost whereas in the 70s teams like derby and forest could break through the pack and anything was possible.

I don't enjoy watching football anywhere near as much in this era.

Offline Chipsticks

• GM : 22.04.2015
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 05:42:21 PM »
I'd say that in the last 15-20 years onward, things on the pitch are far, far better. Off the pitch, however, it's got to be said that things are going downhill with the done-to-death arguments about money ruining football.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 05:59:53 PM »
Anybody that saw the recent El Clasico would soon realise that you don't have to play like Barcelona. The way Real Madrid played was far more suited to the English game; power, speed, directness, endless attacking and not afraid to put in a tackle or two with some great technical ability thrown in, obviously.

From what I hear from the locals, the reason English football is so popular is the fans and the speed of the game. The fans are close to the pitch, the stadiums are generally full, there's a great atmosphere with both home and away supporters, something you don't see everywhere. Without mentioning TSM, almost every team will try and attack, games are end to end and despite the vast wealth of the top clubs, there's always likely to be an upset.

It's a recipe that's just not possible to copy in the other major leagues like Spain, Italy and Germany, mainly because the fans insist on the way they want the game played and despite so many foreign managers working in the Premier League, they haven't managed to change it. Nor should they. The game in England is technically evolving which is most certainly a good thing but it's development remains on the trusted demands of the fans who want to see 90 minutes of action.

It's no surprise to hear the often quoted remark from even the most talented foreign import saying how fast the game is and how much less time they get on the ball. For me, I think it pushes them to their limits and makes for a more entertaining game.

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 06:44:30 PM »
The way we played against Man United on Saturday. That will do me. Passion, energy, determination and potency in front of goal.

I'd watch that week in week out.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 06:50:39 PM »
Really good post Rudy.

My one point of disagreement would be that our stadia are much quieter now than many in Europe, particularly in Germany. I met a Rapid Vienna fan a couple of months ago in China and he was amazed at the serene air at English grounds when he was in London for 6 months last year.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 09:16:06 PM »
One of the points in the article is that the developing intepretation of the game's rules has changed the nature of the game, by reducing the number of tackles from behind and increasing the need for anticipation and interception. That, combined with other changes and the improvement in pitches, football kit (balls, boots, etc) and players' fitness, has meant a faster game played with more skill.
But are more entertained?! - perhaps our expectation levels have risen. Maybe the sanitisation of stadium atmosphere has taken the edge off the whole experience. Maybe we're just older and more sanguine.

It doesn't feel like "the product" is as all-absorbing (despite what ethe media would have us believe) ...

Offline seanthevillan

• pick our team
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, 11:59:17 PM »
Really good post Rudy.

My one point of disagreement would be that our stadia are much quieter now than many in Europe, particularly in Germany. I met a Rapid Vienna fan a couple of months ago in China and he was amazed at the serene air at English grounds when he was in London for 6 months last year.

Without wanting to over-generalise, I would say that the lack of an 'ultras' culture here, and conversely the thriving ultras scene in many clubs across Europe and the influence some of them have, is the biggest contributing factor to this. On the pitch we're catching up, but off it you have to say that the UK police are streets ahead of most of their European counterparts when it comes to dealing with fans (well the potentially violent ones anyway).

Also the 'product' is more cleverly displayed - watch a German league match on television and you will struggle to notice the fans for the most part, somehow when you watch even a run-of-the-mill game in the Premiership the fans are louder on television.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2012, 11:28:11 AM »
The way we played against Man United on Saturday. That will do me. Passion, energy, determination and potency in front of goal.

I'd watch that week in week out.

I agree.

Offline Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2012, 11:29:51 AM »
With us at 15/1 to win at Man City, I'd say if anything the Prem has become more like the scotch game.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2012, 12:46:54 PM »
With us at 15/1 to win at Man City, I'd say if anything the Prem has become more like the scotch game.

Yes, if only we were more like the Spanish and German leagues, which of course never feature one or two teams that win almost everything.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2012, 12:52:21 PM »

Yes, if only we were more like the Spanish and German leagues, which of course never feature one or two teams that win almost everything.

The Bundesliga has been won by four different teams in the last six years, five in the last ten

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2012, 12:59:58 PM »
Oh right.  I just took a look at the current table and Bayern Munich are 7 points clear.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2012, 01:29:42 PM »
Oh right.  I just took a look at the current table and Bayern Munich are 7 points clear.

They tend to win when nobody else does, and that tends to be every other year. But that means that one season out of two is really surprising, and potentially brilliant for any of about 6 clubs who'll have a chance at winning the league if they run themselves well enough (except for Schalke - they never win).

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2012, 02:40:08 PM »
Modern football is rubbish compared to past times.   I hate the tendency to penalise even the most innocuous of challenges where there is physical contact, and the near decimation of the art of the hard but fair tackle.  Whilst I wouldn't want to see thugs like Ron Harris or Vinnie Jones thriving again, or tolerance of clearly dangerous challenges, it has gone way too far the other way.  I think some of the cause of that lies with foreign players coming in from less physical leagues and making a meal of challenges, and the willingness of the authorities to back them by amending the rules accordingly to "protect skilful players".  As a lad,  football represented a joyous combination of grace, skill, power, strength, pace, and occasional brutality.  In attempting to remove the more brutal aspects, they've ended up over sanitising it, and it's too often like watching bloody chess these days.   

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal