collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Applauding a goal from the opposition  (Read 22781 times)

Offline placeforparks

• GM : PCM
Re: Applauding a goal from the opposition
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2012, 01:44:05 PM »
applauded the aforementioned pires goal and also sylvain distin's goal for man city against us in a mid-week defeat. it was brilliant. like a knife through butter.

this is it:-

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2012, 01:49:07 PM »
I'd never do it.

The quality is always tempered by the fact its against us.

The closest to admiration they'll get is a curse under my breath.

Offline glasses

« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2012, 01:50:08 PM »
applauded the aforementioned pires goal and also sylvain distin's goal for man city against us in a mid-week defeat. it was brilliant. like a knife through butter.

this is it:-

That was one that in hindsight, I should have clapped. At the time I thought that he just wandered through our shite defence, and was annoyed, but watching replays it was a brilliant burst and composed finish from a centre half I have always rated.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2012, 01:52:07 PM »
Fuck that.

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2012, 01:52:25 PM »
Done it once in my entire life. First game of the season a few years back against QPR ( Staunton scored a piledriver for us). Think we were 4-1 up when QPR scored a consolation goal late on. Me and Alex-Alex Cropley jumped up and cheered their goal because he'd put a few quid on a 4-2 Villa win.

Dunno why I cheered - he didn't give me a carrot out of his winnings...

Edit - "few years back" - it was 16 years ago.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 02:42:40 PM by Chico Hamilton III »

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2012, 02:19:26 PM »
Recall a sharp intake of breath and then widespread applause on the Holte when Mark Pembridge lashed in a 40 yarder for Luton back in 1991.   Was a weird game in general, that.   Cantscoreino might even have scored.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2012, 02:22:15 PM »
I wouldn't be able to do it myself after every goal we concede I'm gutted.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2012, 02:27:57 PM »
I remember quite a row on here after the Pires goal with some getting upset that people had applauded it.

Offline mrastonvilla

« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2012, 02:28:53 PM »
Don't think I have done this at villa park. Although olofs goals against England were the most entertaining (football related) thing on TV during the summer.

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2012, 02:29:46 PM »
"A few years back" when I stood on the Holte there was a bloke who whould always applaud the opposition goals, every single flaming one. Not just polite but vigorous and loud so everyone couldn't fail to notice. He stood by us for a year or so doing this, his son would be with him from time to time but never followed his Dads bizarre behaviour.

Needless to say, the gang that I was with, a mixture of all ages. shapes and sizes, began to get a bit peeved with this until a fight broke out after another appreciative round of applause from our friend. He was about 60 and my mates Dad, who was also around that age went for him. It was the youngsters who broke it up.

We never saw him again after that, but I always remember the fact that he wore a leather hat, similar to those Jarman blokes in Ledrhosen who played in the band at the Bierkeller.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2012, 02:29:46 PM »
I'm far too bitter and immature when we concede to applaud. I've thought "shit! That was some goal" a few times, and i've certainly appreciated what a good goal it was when i've seen a replay on TV.

Offline The Man With A Stick

« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2012, 02:33:49 PM »
Scholes' volley also, it just felt like the instinctive thing to do at the time and I've always admired him as a player.  If it had been Giggs, Ronaldo or Rooney I'd have given them a right round of f***s.

Also applauded Forrsell's consolation in the 5-1 game, as did quite a few others, but that was more of a piss-take than anything genuine.

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2012, 02:34:43 PM »
I've done it a few times, yes. If you appreciate a game you have to applaud its finest moments, even if it costs you personally.
It's at the very heart of sportsmanship in my opinion.

If a player does something truly extraordinary then you're privileged to witness it. So you suck it up, applaud him and then, if you get the opportunity, throw a bottle at him.

I agree with your sentiments but would it apply if (now obviously this is totally hypothetical of course) a Blues player cracked in a carbon copy goal of Ibrahimovic's at the Holte End?

Of course.

If it was an own goal.

Offline timeoutbigbar

« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2012, 02:37:11 PM »
I couldn't applaud a goal against us.  I might admit to a mate through gritted teeth that it was a great effort but never applaud.

Offline Chipsticks

• GM : 22.04.2015
« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2012, 02:38:25 PM »
Sometimes I find myself inadvertently clapping softly if an opposition makes a good pass, I remember doing so at what I'm assuming was one of Paul Scholes' passes last Saturday.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal