collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Baldy
[Today at 02:59:36 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by LeeB
[Today at 02:54:38 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by ChicagoLion
[Today at 02:45:28 PM]

NSWE Investment by The Edge
[Today at 02:33:46 PM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by chrisw1
[Today at 02:25:44 PM]

Diego Carlos by Demitri_C
[Today at 02:25:16 PM]

Pre-season 2024/25 by Somniloquism
[Today at 01:40:42 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Toronto Villa
[Today at 01:18:45 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Good enough/Not Good Enough  (Read 15645 times)

Offline tomd2103

Re: Good enough/Not Good Enough
« Reply #75 on: October 31, 2012, 02:27:34 PM »
Lots of question marks for me, from our so called youngsters who are now around 22/23 to the likes of N'Zogbia. I like Lichaj, Herd, Baker and Lowton. Too soon to say with Bennett. Can't make my mind up on Bannan and Delph. I thought Clark would be the best of the bunch but he hasn't kicked on as much as I expected. Stevens and Albrighton are the definate not good enoughs for me.

That is a real issue for me.  I remember Shane Warne commentating on a cricket match and referring to somebody having played "20 first tests".  When asked to explain what he meant, he said that the player hadn't really improved since he first came into the side and was still making the same mistakes over and over.   I think that is certainly the case with our younger players and although they haven't played that many games, you couldn't say that any of them have shown any sign of real progression.  They still make basic errors during games (Lichaj's header for their 2nd goal last night a prime example) and although you can't fault the effort, they just don't seem to have moved on.

Their development has been pretty stunted as well. MON was terrible for the likes of Bannan and Albrighton, and never rated them mainly because of size. Bannan at 18 was very exciting, but MON was the only one out of the whole staff, Sid, McAndrew and so on, who didn't rate him because he valued physicality over skill. GH was quite good for the youngsters but the problems of that season scuppered chances of any serious development, with the behaviour of the seniors a total disgrace. As for Eck, well, he was never going to be good for the development of skillful, attacking players, and they unlearned any of the calm and thought they might have learned under GH and replaced it with fear and neanderthal approaches to football. Hopefully Lambo can get them back on track, and signs are there - Baker and Clark look pretty assured, and Bannan is showing signs of an understanding with KEA and Ireland - but it will take time.

Some good points Monty, but how much time do they need?  Some of them are approaching 24 and still look no better than when they first came into the team.  There are still major question marks over all of them (and I would include Clark in that) as to whether they will make the grade in the Premiership. 

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #76 on: October 31, 2012, 05:15:08 PM »
PlaceForParks Lichaj's not a CB though is he, so it shouldn't be surprising if he doesn't look good there.  I agree with Onje-Villa, I'm another (kind of) fan of Lichaj. He's a bit rough around the edges but loves to bomb forward and get stuck in, and provides a lot of energy and drive when he plays.  If he could control his tendency for rash challenges I think he'd be a real asset. I'd keep him in ahead of Bennett at LB.

Montbert, how do you know Delph doesn't have the ideas to play behind the strikers, he's never been given the chance to play there.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #77 on: October 31, 2012, 08:04:15 PM »
I like Bannan in so far he he seems to be very good at increasing the tempo of a match with his passing.

His big problem, particularly with the style of play which PL has adopted, is that he is usually several yards away from the player he is supposed to be marking when we do not have possession.

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #78 on: November 01, 2012, 12:43:46 AM »
Some good points Monty, but how much time do they need?  Some of them are approaching 24 and still look no better than when they first came into the team.  There are still major question marks over all of them (and I would include Clark in that) as to whether they will make the grade in the Premiership. 

Oh I agree, and under Lambert who appears to want to play more football than certain previous managers it is definitely sink or swim time. The point is also that the crucial stage of their development - ages 18-22 - has been so disjointed that maybe it's a case of salvaging something from them rather than getting them to their absolute maximum potential.

Montbert, how do you know Delph doesn't have the ideas to play behind the strikers, he's never been given the chance to play there.

Well he hasn't displayed much imagination in the positions he's played in so far. I mean, of course it's possible it could be his best position, but FWIW I'm unconvinced.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #79 on: November 01, 2012, 11:49:08 AM »
I like Bannan in so far he he seems to be very good at increasing the tempo of a match with his passing.

Ireland plays a part in that as well. The midfield looks a lot more mobile and energetic when they're both on the pitch. Because they've both got the abilty to open games up, it does make us look better.

Offline eastie

« Reply #80 on: November 01, 2012, 11:50:43 AM »

Ireland plays a part in that as well. The midfield looks a lot more mobile and energetic when they're both on the pitch. Because they've both got the abilty to open games up, it does make us look better.

I agree , but I do wish they would both show more consistency. They have the ability but need to deliver regularly.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #81 on: November 01, 2012, 12:06:24 PM »

Oh I agree, and under Lambert who appears to want to play more football than certain previous managers it is definitely sink or swim time. The point is also that the crucial stage of their development - ages 18-22 - has been so disjointed that maybe it's a case of salvaging something from them rather than getting them to their absolute maximum potential.

Well he hasn't displayed much imagination in the positions he's played in so far. I mean, of course it's possible it could be his best position, but FWIW I'm unconvinced.

That could well be the case.  Not wishing to sound too harsh, but I personally think that some of them of are at best Championship level players who are extremely lucky to have played as many Premiership games as they have for a club like Aston Villa and the sooner we get into a position where we are no longer reliant on calling upon them the better.   

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #82 on: November 01, 2012, 12:06:48 PM »

I agree , but I do wish they would both show more consistency. They have the ability but need to deliver regularly.

Agreed with all of the above.

Online placeforparks

• GM : PCM
« Reply #83 on: November 01, 2012, 06:16:57 PM »
PlaceForParks Lichaj's not a CB though is he, so it shouldn't be surprising if he doesn't look good there.

personally i don't think it's unreasonable to expect an international footballer to do a passable job in another position across the back four!

Offline l_mckay

« Reply #84 on: November 01, 2012, 08:52:23 PM »
Guzan- Yes
Lowton-Yes
Bennett- No
Clark- Yes
Baker- Yes
Vlaar- Yes
KEA- Yes
Herd- Yes
Ireland- Yes