collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Good enough/Not Good Enough  (Read 15639 times)

Offline johncvilla88

• Personal Website
Re: Good enough/Not Good Enough
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2012, 12:40:42 PM »
Guzan- Yes
Given- No

Hutton-No
Lichaj- Yes - (as back up)
Lowton-Yes
Warnock-No
Bennett- Yes
Dunne- No
Clark- Yes
Baker- Yes (as back up)
Vlaar- Yes
Stevens - Yes (as back-up)

Summary defence isn't that bad the young player can only improve through games. Although you could argue there at too many at once, I actually belive the down fall has been poor protection from the midfield

KEA- Yes (best part of his game disappears covering for Delph)
Delph- Yes (as back-up)
Bannan-Yes (as back up)
Herd- Yes (as back up)
Albrighton- Yes (as back up)
Ireland- No
N'Zogbia- No
Holman- Yes
Westwood - Yes (as back up)

Too many squad players only KEA is a defiant starter and Holman is at a push. Craig Gardner would be realistic (Milner would be best) we haven't go any really haven't got a box to box mid-fielder who can score and tackle. Also feel we need a new right mid-fielder (not winger)

Agbonlahor - Yes
Bent- Yes
Benteke- Yes
Weimann- Yes
Jordan Bowery - Yes

Good balance of strikers but they aren't going to score without chances being created for them!

Overall its the mid-field that's letting us down but I think I'm stating the obvious there.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 12:42:46 PM by johncvilla88 »

Offline pedro25

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2012, 12:51:08 PM »
N'Zogbia, Ireland, Bent and Gabby are all yes on ability, but probably no on current form.  Arguably only Vlaar from defence is a yes as a starter, the others probably only good enough as back up right now, in terms of real premier league quality.  Benteke, Holman, KEA all yes, but need a lot more quality alongside them.  Both keepers yes.

Offline pedro25

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2012, 12:51:48 PM »
Bannan more of a yes than Herd, Delph and Albrighton for me, but all probably no as starters.

Offline onje_villa

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2012, 12:55:39 PM »
Agree with most here that:

Keepers are fine (though Given should be replaced as his wages are an issue)

Defenders are young, inexperienced though improving (I actually like Lichaj, Bennet will have more long-term quality but Lichaj is tough and can do a job, unsure on Clark though have been impressed with Baker and Herd, Vlaar seems to be growing with each game). I also agree that the lack of cover from midfield isn't helping them.

Strikers - we have a good choice of strikers. Gabby has become ineffectual as a N° 9 but I thought he did a great job on Saturday as a wing forward, working the channels, using his pace and strength. I'd keep him around. Benteke is a goalscorer with an aerial threat no doubt. Weimann, like Lichaj has all the makings of a great team player and I like him. Bent has quality though if we need the money I wouldn't hesitate to sell him.

Midfield needs work but I think a lot of this work is to be done by Lambert, throw the names of Bannan, KEA, Ireland and Holman into the mix and on paper we do have quality there. But it needs the right balance and formation. Delph gets a resounding no from me but I think Albrighton would be OK as a squad player.

Two quality midfielders (one defensive minded and one attacking) coupled with a balanced and settled midfield, I think the rest of the team would all start looking the better for it.

Offline onje_villa

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2012, 12:58:09 PM »
In fact the more I think of it, the midfield is Lambert's problem, he ought to be able to get better out of
Bannan, KEA, Ireland, Holman and N'Zogbia.
We do need a DM but there's definitely quality that needs unlocking in there.

Offline ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
  • GM : 01.08.2022
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2012, 01:04:06 PM »
Not good enough and never will be

Hutton
Lichaj
Stephens
Given (past his best)
Gabby
Bannan
Albrighton

Not currently good enough, but might become so

KEA (Like Boateng but not as good)
Holman (works hard but no end product or skill)
Westwood (too soon to tell)
Bowery (see Westwood)
Bennet (not that hopeful on him)
Bent (not playing well and questionable attitude)
Clark (not living up to his promise)
NZogbia
Warnock (would give him a game in midfield at the moment)

Good enough currently

Benteke
Weimann (squad player)
Herd (squad player)
Baker
Guzan
Dunne (if fit)
Ireland
Vlaar
Lowton

Offline Merv

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2012, 01:15:10 PM »
If I'm being brutally honest....

Guzan- Yes
Given- Yes

Hutton-No
Lichaj- Yes (as a reserve full-back he's fine)
Lowton-Yes
Warnock-No
Bennett- Yes
Dunne- Yes, when fit
Clark- Yes.....
Baker- Yes
Vlaar- Yes

KEA- Yes
Delph- No (sadly)
Bannan- Yes
Herd- No (not as a midfielder, reasonable back-up defender)
Albrighton- Yes, just about, but I think he can only play as a RW, current system doesn't suit.
Ireland- No (just does not do enough in that role)
N'Zogbia- Yes
Holman- Yes

Agbonlahor- No (doesn't seem to be a threat in the PL anymore)
Bent- Yes
Benteke- Yes
Weimann- Yes

Can't call Westwood or Bowery.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2012, 01:51:47 PM »
Can someone please identify what KEA actually does?

Cannot head the ball
Does not seem to tackle
Does not seem to want to shoot (other than the Everton goal)
Not even sure which is his best foot
Does not seem box to box link up man
Does not seem to be a holding player
His passing is awful anything over 5 foot

He came as an exotic foreign player (as we had been so bereft of them previously) from a decent league - yet i have seen nothing that even gives me a hope that he is finding his feet

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2012, 01:55:22 PM »
Re some of the question-marks above:
Bennett - too early to call it. Yes, he was poor on Saturday (Hughton did a good job of targetting him from the start) but it's the first time he's been outstandingly poor; and he's still learning the EPL.
Herd - definitely a 'yes'. He has utility value even if he's not a first choice in MF.
Lichaj - I think he's a centre-back in waiting: hard, good in the air and has some pace.
BB - there's enough there to persist with, given the results the team has had when he's started this season.
Delph - as an attacking MF he may still be able to do a job (I keep thinking back to his Leeds days when he scored a number of goals from an attacking MF role). Or, if we ever considered a 3-5-2 set-up he might make a left wing-back. He's definitely not a holding MF.
Carruthers - not mentioned, but he needs a run in the side / as oncoming sub. We need to know whether he has the trickery and pace that Albie lacks.
Gabby - well, he scored twice against Citeh and set up Holman on Saturday for the cross converted by Benteke. As someone else has said above, he might not be Mr Prolific (at least, in the goalscoring stakes) but he may still have a value as a supporting player. If he moves on (and maybe this is the right thing for him to do), he will serve another EPL club well.
N'Zog - never agreed that he was right for us when he came to Villa. Too temperamental. We should sell him and take the financial hit.
Ireland - I don't like him (he's a scrote IMHO) but cannot make my mind up about whether he'll come good.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2012, 02:28:28 PM »
Good enough for what, though?

Take a young player like Bennett. He might prove out to be a quality player, he might not. You could say that he's "good enough" to be at the club and to contribute, but is he good enough to start week in, week out?

Doesn't it really depend on what we're asking them to do? Are we asking whether we can rely on these players?

Offline Chipsticks

• GM : 22.04.2015
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2012, 02:33:27 PM »
The current squad, who makes the grade in terms of quality and/or consistency/reliability, who doesn't? New signings included based on your early views on them (though not Westwood or Bowery).
Guzan- Yes
Given- Yes

Hutton-No
Lichaj- No
Lowton-Yes
Warnock-No
Bennett- No (He'll hopefully improve but I'm not sure on him defensively or offensively. We'll see).
Dunne- No (Too many fitness and injury problems, before you even consider poor form in the last two years).
Clark- Yes (just about- needs to deliver a lot more)
Baker- Yes
Vlaar- Yes

KEA- Yes
Delph- No
Bannan- No
Herd- Yes
Albrighton- No
Ireland- No
N'Zogbia- No
Holman- Yes

Agbonlahor-Yes
Bent- Yes
Benteke- Yes
Weimann- Yes

For me we've got enough quality up top in place and solid keepers. The defence needs a bit of experience and the midfield needs that and a lot more quality.

My main gripe is the crticism of Bannan. He could be a class player for us, we just need to put him in the right position in the right team with the right mentality. Playing him out wide does not suit to his nature, as does playing him deep. I think playing him behind Benteke with two defensive midfielders behind him would bring out the best in him and we would see a very talented footballer emerge. We often see little flickers of brilliance from him, and if he could become consistent there'd be no stopping the lad.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 05:41:14 PM by Chipsticks »

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2012, 02:34:03 PM »
Can somebody please explain to me why moving from the championship to the premier is next to impossible for Villa signings? I was under the impression Bennett was one of the best players Boro had, and they're a team in the play-off places currently. I'd imagine the fact he has played more physical games and a greater number of them would have held him in good stead, particularly against the teams we have played, who are mainly bottom Prem/top Championship material. But he looks all at sea.

This isn't another anti-Bennett post, but I'm using him as an example as a genuine enquiry. Arsenal can sign Ramsey or Everton can sign Jagielka, for example, and they don't look out of place. Villa sign Delph, Bennett, or Harewood and they look like they've come from non-league.

Offline Merv

« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2012, 02:37:20 PM »
It does, and you're right, it's not as simple as good enough or not, but it's interesting to see how people rate players.

I understand the point though. I've said no to Ireland, because he should be one of our most influential players, and is taking up that role, but he's not delivering anywhere near the standard and it's a crucial position. Whereas I've said yes to Lichaj, because his role is as a squad defender, which I think he's suitable for.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2012, 03:47:17 PM »
Villa sign Delph, Bennett, or Harewood and they look like they've come from non-league.

I still remember that Delph looked outstanding at first.  Vision, pace and confidence.  Really thought he was going to be something.  I suppose his various injuries could have had a big effect.  As for Harewood I don't think there was ever a great expectation of how he would turn out.

Offline Lambert and Payne

• GM : Sep, 2012
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2012, 03:57:01 PM »
My main grip is the crticism of Bannan. He could be a class player for us, we just need to put him in the right position in the right team with the right mentality. Playing him out wide does not suit to his nature, as does playing him deep. I think playing him behind Benteke with two defensive midfielders behind him would bring out the best in him and we would see a very talented footballer emerge. We often see little flickers of brilliance from him, and if he could become consistent there'd be no stopping the lad.

Maybe for his career he's better off leaving then?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 04:15:53 PM by Lambert and Payne »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal