collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Hopadop
[Today at 09:57:22 PM]

Re: FFP by Risso
[Today at 09:49:37 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Risso
[Today at 09:46:02 PM]

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:45:14 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by TelfordVilla
[Today at 09:41:43 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by FrankyH
[Today at 09:34:28 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by dave shelley
[Today at 09:33:06 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by markeeeebeeee2005
[Today at 09:23:09 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Good enough/Not Good Enough  (Read 15562 times)

Offline supertom

Good enough/Not Good Enough
« on: October 30, 2012, 11:01:04 AM »
The current squad, who makes the grade in terms of quality and/or consistency/reliability, who doesn't? New signings included based on your early views on them (though not Westwood or Bowery).
Guzan- Yes
Given- Yes

Hutton-No
Lichaj- No
Lowton-Yes
Warnock-No
Bennett- No (He'll hopefully improve but I'm not sure on him defensively or offensively. We'll see).
Dunne- No (Too many fitness and injury problems, before you even consider poor form in the last two years).
Clark- Yes (just about- needs to deliver a lot more)
Baker- Yes
Vlaar- Yes

KEA- Yes
Delph- No
Bannan- No
Herd- Yes
Albrighton- No
Ireland- No
N'Zogbia- No
Holman- Yes

Agbonlahor-Yes
Bent- Yes
Benteke- Yes
Weimann- Yes

For me we've got enough quality up top in place and solid keepers. The defence needs a bit of experience and the midfield needs that and a lot more quality.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: Good enough/Not Good Enough
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 11:09:56 AM »
I'd question:

Given - he did have the quality but he's starting to look his age
Bannan - I don't think he's done much wrong this season
Gabby - has been too long since he delivered now, needs to find the net in the league a few times soon

It's hard to disagree with any of the others though.

Offline nick harper

• GM : Feb, 2012
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 11:11:19 AM »
If you're talking about now, I don't think I could be more pleased if Richard Dunne made a miraculous recovery and was available this weekend. We desperately miss his experience and leadership at the back.

And Lambert needs to get Ireland And N'Zogbia integrated into a stable formation and playing. They are our most creative players and it should be his job to get the best out of them.

Offline supertom

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 11:17:25 AM »
If Dunne came back as he was 3 years ago I'd be happy. I just think he's getting to the point where this level of football is going to be beyond his physical capablities. We do need someone like Dunney at his best though. He's a leader and a warhorse. Vlaar needs some experience alongside him to settle.

Offline preston28

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 11:18:04 AM »
I'd disagree on Given - he's past it & boosting his pension.
Clark is just about Ok but not in central defence
I think Gabby has shot his bolt now and no longer is the palyer he promised to be.
You missed out Westwood and Bowery!!!  ;)

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 11:25:57 AM »
To me, Agbonlahor is more of a link man, or a player without portfolio. I don't think he was that bad on Saturday and he's been quite good this season as a whole, but I agree that he's basically a non-scoring striker. He should have been converted into a winger a long time ago.

Bennett is unsuited to the Premier League, simple as. He was targeted by Norwich before the yellow and all of their attacks came down that side for 90 minutes as a consequence. I'd like to see Dunne back because he's an experienced head even if his speed has gone.

Finally, I don't rate Clark in his current position. Baker is a better player and Clark should be moved forward to a holding role. He can't defend very well, so shouldn't be placed as the last line.

Offline eastie

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 11:35:49 AM »
The current squad, who makes the grade in terms of quality and/or consistency/reliability, who doesn't? New signings included based on your early views on them (though not Westwood or Bowery).
Guzan- Yes
Given- Yes

Hutton-No
Lichaj- No
Lowton-Yes
Warnock-No
Bennett- No (He'll hopefully improve but I'm not sure on him defensively or offensively. We'll see).
Dunne- No (Too many fitness and injury problems, before you even consider poor form in the last two years).
Clark- Yes (just about- needs to deliver a lot more)
Baker- Yes
Vlaar- Yes

KEA- Yes
Delph- No
Bannan- No
Herd- Yes
Albrighton- No
Ireland- No
N'Zogbia- No
Holman- Yes

Agbonlahor-Yes
Bent- Yes
Benteke- Yes
Weimann- Yes

For me we've got enough quality up top in place and solid keepers. The defence needs a bit of experience and the midfield needs that and a lot more quality.

Can't see why  Ireland got a no and gabby got a yes - Ireland I'm not sure about as he's hit and miss - gabby most definitely is a massive no for me.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 11:38:19 AM by eastie »

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 11:35:50 AM »
I think it's very hard to make a judgement on any of the new signings yet really other than to say Lowton, Vlaar and Benteke definitely look they have it. The others we really don't know yet. The only players I'd say are no hopers are Warnock, Hutton, Delph and Albrighton.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2012, 11:38:15 AM »
I'm surprised you give Gabby a yes and Ireland, Bannan and N'Zogbia a no.   

The only thing consistent or reliable about Gabby is his extreme averageness for quite a long time now.  The others are at east capable of creating something.

Much as I don't rate either of them that much, I also think Hutton and Warnock may have been jettisoned too soon given the thinness of our resources and experience.  We can't afford to do likewise with Dunne at the moment.

Lichaj I think is ok, a decent squad player. Clark I've never really rated, neither strong enough or fast enough to be a top CB, I'd prefer Baker or Herd, but again ok as a squad player.  Delph isn't a holding midfielder and has never been given a chance as an attacking midfielder which is where he did well for Leeds.

Albrighton looks a busted flush, lacks both pace and a trick.

A bit harsh to be judging Bennett and Lowton so soon.

The big problem is not enough definite, indisputable yesses to make a good team.

Offline MoetVillan

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 11:41:04 AM »
i have been lucky enough to watch Westwood a couple of times at Crewe.  While he was playing at a lower level, i think he could do a job over Delph in that he seems more calm on the ball, and doesnt pass into pressure

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2012, 11:48:21 AM »
At present and on current form, I'd say there are very few pople in the 'yes' camp, probably only Guzan, Vlaar, Clark and Benteke.   Others have it in them to be good enough, eg Gabby, Ireland and Bent, but aren't doing it for various reasons.  The youngsters like Lowton and Bennett aren't good enough yet, but may be in future.  Others like Delph and Albrighton are never, ever going to be good enough.  Then there are the distinctly average KEA and Holman, who you could probably get away with if they were surrounded by much better players, but aren't.

It all adds up to a squad that is getting the results its lack of quality deserves.

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2012, 12:01:26 PM »
How Delph is making the first team I will never know. It must be because Lambert reckons we lack a bit of muscle and toughness otherwise which is probably a fair point.

Our midfield is our main weakness. If we could augment it with one premier league quality player it would improve us so much. We need a leader in midfield who can take responsibility.

Offline Lambert and Payne

• GM : Sep, 2012
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2012, 12:05:01 PM »
Guzan- Yes
Given- No

Hutton-No
Lichaj- No
Lowton-Yes
Warnock-No
Bennett- Yes - don't think he's been as bad as people make out
Dunne- No
Clark- Yes
Baker- Yes
Vlaar- Yes

KEA- Yes
Delph- No
Bannan-Yes
Herd- Yes
Albrighton- No
Ireland- Yes
N'Zogbia- No
Holman- Yes

Agbonlahor- No, gives his all but always runs into a dead end and doesn't deliver the final ball/shot
Bent- Yes, won't be at the club much longer though it seems. Question on attitude but the skill level is there
Benteke- Yes
Weimann- Yes

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2012, 12:07:49 PM »
Ireland a yes and Gabby a no .   There is not many prem teams Gabby would get into at the moment as well as a few others too. Thats why we are in trouble.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2012, 12:40:29 PM »
Agree with all except Gabby for Yes - not delivered for a long time

Herd / Ireland maybes, not convinced on either

The others spot on but as noted by others Given is an expensive 2nd choice keeper

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal