collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Attendance issues  (Read 27115 times)

Offline Andy1874

Attendance issues
« on: October 29, 2012, 02:25:14 AM »
I was watching the merseyside derby earlier, it was nice to see a full passionate crowd.  A sell out of 39k makes you think would we achieve that now on sunday morning (ie against small heath) Im fed up of hearing excuses about finances/on tele/credit cruch et al. The scousers are in no better situation than we are, yet they both have a larger home/away following.

This will probably get locked but does no-one else share the same opinion ? We are one of the cheapest clubs in the country yet our attendances our pretty poor!

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
Re: Attendance issues
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 03:25:34 AM »
I think the scousers probably see more wins , could be a reason.

Offline supertom

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 05:36:46 AM »
Liverpool have a much larger fan base than we do. If a load of people decide not to show up they've got plenty of people ready to snap up seats. I think every Liverpool fan also probably thinks there still in with a shot at the title, even when it's mathematically impossible, in my experience they're some of the most deluded fans I've ever known. That's good in some ways I suppose, because they keep gates up.

As for us, we're sorely lacking in atmosphere. It's all a bit morose. And attendances do need to improve drastically or we'll be trimming more from the wage bill.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 07:20:41 AM »
When you only see a win at VP about every 3 months its difficult to keep 40,000 interested. 

Offline Apyadg

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 07:31:11 AM »
Even if we're one of the cheaper sides to watch, it's still a lot of money and time to invest in to something you're almost certain is going to leave you feeling pissed off for the rest of the weekend.

Offline MarkM

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 08:23:32 AM »
What attendance level do you expect?

Back before football was invented a 33,000+ attendance against Norwich would have seemed like a huge attendance!

Perhaps we are at the level we should be?

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 08:25:18 AM »
When you only see a win at VP about every 3 months its difficult to keep 40,000 interested. 

Nail on head. If/when we improve so will attendances.

Offline eastie

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 08:29:41 AM »

Nail on head. If/when we improve so will attendances.

Two wins in nearly a year at home in the league is hardly going to inspire people that they will get value for money.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 08:37:48 AM »
This crops up every so often but have a check what our average attendance was when we won the league and were European champions. I notice empty seats at many games these days especially at the two Manchester clubs.

Offline eastie

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2012, 08:40:38 AM »
This crops up every so often but have a check what our average attendance was when we won the league and were European champions. I notice empty seats at many games these days especially at the two Manchester clubs.

I remember being at a top flight game in the mid 80s at home to Southampton when the gate was less than 8,500 at villa park.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 08:44:42 AM by eastie »

Offline Holte L2

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2012, 08:44:04 AM »
Our hardcore home base is around 30k, with another fairweather 9-10k depending on how well we're doing.

My issue is the modern day football fan.  Have they not discovered what chanting is or getting behind the team with words of encourgagement?  In L2 every time my group, consisting of my Dad,my Mate Peter and I, we get looked at like we have suddenly developed six heads.  It really gets my back up.

Offline Chipsticks

• GM : 22.04.2015
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2012, 08:51:26 AM »
I was watching the merseyside derby earlier, it was nice to see a full passionate crowd.  A sell out of 39k makes you think would we achieve that now on sunday morning (ie against small heath)

We would sell out against Blues no problem.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2012, 08:52:55 AM »
I was watching the merseyside derby earlier, it was nice to see a full passionate crowd.  A sell out of 39k makes you think would we achieve that now on sunday morning (ie against small heath) Im fed up of hearing excuses about finances/on tele/credit cruch et al. The scousers are in no better situation than we are, yet they both have a larger home/away following.

This will probably get locked but does no-one else share the same opinion ? We are one of the cheapest clubs in the country yet our attendances our pretty poor!

Why should it be locked?

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2012, 08:56:18 AM »
Because it's all been said before?? I thought it was a decent attendence saturday considering it was saturday 12.45 and it was on sky

Online Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2012, 09:56:46 AM »
The scousers are in no better situation than we are, yet they both have a larger home/away following.

Forget Liverpool, they have a massive following and you can't make a comparison with Villa.

Everton though, look at their average attendances for the last 4 or 5 years and they're pretty much identical to ours. And Everton's away following is certainly no bigger than Villa's.

Next

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal