collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Stupid fouls. Will we ever learn?  (Read 5443 times)

Offline supertom

Stupid fouls. Will we ever learn?
« on: October 28, 2012, 03:50:54 AM »
We give away inumerable stupid free kicks. Last season was woeful and we gave away a lot. 3 chief culprits, Collins, Hutton and Warnock are all out the side now, but nothings changed.
Bennett got himself sent off for constant, pointless, silly fouls. I had no arguments on that. Herd could count himself a little fortunate. For me Vlaar pushes his luck (and the opposition) too much too. He's gonna give away a lot of penaties if he doesn't reign himself in a little. I like him for his desire but he's got to control it better.
If we keep gifting freekicks near our box, we're gonna get punished. Better sides will destroy us if we invite so much needless pressure on ourselves.
Trouble is this is something young players do a lot. Their decision making isn't the best always and they give away silly fouls they don't need to. There wasn't a single freekick Bennett gave away that he actually needed to and he got himself sent off. It cost us 3 points because I don't think Norwich had enough about them to get through us when 11 v 11. They're shit, just a little bit shitter than us.

We're crap. We're lacking in quality so why can we not address this issue finally? Why put ourselves at even more of a disadvantage. We lose territory, possession, give away chances near our box, and sometimes we'll lose players. It makes a hard task of winning games even chuffing harder.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
Re: Stupid fouls. Will we ever learn?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 06:21:09 AM »
It cost us 3 points because I don't think Norwich had enough about them to get through us when 11 v 11. 

Did it?

Offline Chipsticks

• GM : 22.04.2015
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 07:01:23 AM »
Albrighton seems to be giving away a lot of fouls.

Offline Tom_Mc9?

• GM : 28.08.2024
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 07:45:14 AM »
Albrighton always has. Since that day at Fulham it's been noticeable. I'm more worried about the stupid passing. Surely players who are paid to play football can manage to do a simple pass to another one?

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 07:51:09 AM »
Bennett got himself sent off for constant, pointless, silly fouls....
No, he didn't: he made one dreadful tackle in the first half - beaten by Norwich's wing play - and then got penalised for a silly tug that was as much won by a player running into him.
Herd was very lucky to survive however.

Your overall point is well-made: we do give away too many fouls stil.

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 07:54:33 AM »
Free kicks is a symptom of bad players playing with low level of confidence. If we sort the other two out the problem will be reduced or disappear.

Offline Shrek

• It goes Football, Formula 1, Cricket in that order
  • GM : 04.06.2015
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 08:12:39 AM »
We give away inumerable stupid free kicks. Last season was woeful and we gave away a lot. 3 chief culprits, Collins, Hutton and Warnock are all out the side now, but nothings changed.
Bennett got himself sent off for constant, pointless, silly fouls. I had no arguments on that. Herd could count himself a little fortunate. For me Vlaar pushes his luck (and the opposition) too much too. He's gonna give away a lot of penaties if he doesn't reign himself in a little. I like him for his desire but he's got to control it better.
If we keep gifting freekicks near our box, we're gonna get punished. Better sides will destroy us if we invite so much needless pressure on ourselves.
Trouble is this is something young players do a lot. Their decision making isn't the best always and they give away silly fouls they don't need to. There wasn't a single freekick Bennett gave away that he actually needed to and he got himself sent off. It cost us 3 points because I don't think Norwich had enough about them to get through us when 11 v 11. They're shit, just a little bit shitter than us.

We're crap. We're lacking in quality so why can we not address this issue finally? Why put ourselves at even more of a disadvantage. We lose territory, possession, give away chances near our box, and sometimes we'll lose players. It makes a hard task of winning games even chuffing harder.

Did you watch the game? Norwich had much better chances, clear cut chances infact, only a superb Guzan kept us in the game. MOTD summed us up perfectly- Villa are woeful and it would have been a travesty if Norwich would have lost.

Offline eastie

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2012, 08:27:59 AM »

Norwich were far better than us and if they had taken their chances would have done to us what Southampton did, we were poor with 11 men and battled hard when down to 10 but the lack of quality Is shocking.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2012, 11:56:10 AM »
Free kicks is a symptom of bad players playing with low level of confidence. If we sort the other two out the problem will be reduced or disappear.

Ever seen Paul Scholes play? I wouldn't class him as either a bad player or low on confidence.

I think the OP is right - its a result of poor decision making by inexperienced players. We seem to give more away because we've got less experience in the side.

Offline bertlambshank

• GM : 30.06.2019
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2012, 12:20:55 PM »

Ever seen Paul Scholes play? I wouldn't class him as either a bad player or low on confidence.

I think the OP is right - its a result of poor decision making by inexperienced players. We seem to give more away because we've got less experience in the side.
He would be suspended for half the season if he played for us.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2012, 01:04:07 PM »

Did you watch the game? Norwich had much better chances, clear cut chances infact, only a superb Guzan kept us in the game. MOTD summed us up perfectly- Villa are woeful and it would have been a travesty if Norwich would have lost.

They had 1 good chance in 50 odd minutes of 11 v 11. Same as us. All the other chances came when we were down to 10.

Offline supertom

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2012, 01:51:22 PM »
Bennett got himself sent off for constant, pointless, silly fouls....
No, he didn't: he made one dreadful tackle in the first half - beaten by Norwich's wing play - and then got penalised for a silly tug that was as much won by a player running into him.
Herd was very lucky to survive however.

Your overall point is well-made: we do give away too many fouls stil.
He had one or two more tugs before his second yellow if I recall, neither really cardable but he was just pushing his luck. I do remember wincing a few times at both him and Herd, thinking either could have gone. Bennett then did.

Offline supertom

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2012, 01:56:45 PM »
It cost us 3 points because I don't think Norwich had enough about them to get through us when 11 v 11. 

Did it?
IMO they'd have struggled to get the impetus they did which lead to their goal, had it stayed 11 each. I say that largely because they were shite, and we were equally as shite. The more they would have chased too, I think the more chance we could have broken away. I also think Lamberts hand being forced into making the subsequent subs didn't help because he made the wrong decisions both times. Gab should have stayed on. Bent shouldn't have come on as a lone striker in those circumstances. Albrighton should have come off too.
As much as we were poor we had the only decent move of the game up until Bennett had his 2nd yellow, and we took the chance. Without the red I think we'd have seen out a drab game, perhaps sneaking an (undeserved) second.
Saying that, it was a game in which no one really warranted 3 points. Fookin shite.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2012, 03:33:07 PM »
Supertom,

I think Andy Lochead is referring to the fact that we lost 2 points, not 3.

My big fear is that we are a young and physically weak side. Other than Benteke and Vlaar we didn't have a lot of height yesterday and Nigel Spackman on 5Live said he thought we could concede from a set piece because of this weakness.

We need experience and physical presence quickly.

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2012, 04:54:49 PM »
And when they equalised Benteke was not on the field.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal