collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Safe standing trial offer  (Read 26709 times)

Offline Phil from the upper holte

Re: Safe standing trial offer
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2012, 03:39:08 PM »
I actually think it's more dangerous to stand in a seated area, I've actually witnessed my mate nearly break his neck by falling over and banging it against a chair, he was nearly paralysed and he would have been fine if he was stood

I would be behind this 1000000000%

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2012, 03:42:12 PM »
Here's what Margaret Aspinall said: 
"The Hillsborough Family Support Group are totally against any form of standing whatsoever. We are absolutely against it and always will be. Our football clubs should remain all-seater stadiums. People always say they have standing areas in Germany, but we don't play any part over what happens in that country - we just believe there's no such thing as safe standing in this country. We will not be encouraging the government to change the law."

If you take her words at face value and forget if you can her role in the Justice campaign, she comes across as the type of extreme reactionary you'd normally take no notice of. She's not accepting any other argument, no evidence or any possibility that a situation could ever change.

Online VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2012, 03:44:38 PM »
in the comments sectoion someone has a dig at fatty faulks on us getting relegated, poor sod cant do anything right  :P

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2012, 03:51:30 PM »
Bringing back standing would be a progressive step, leading to a much better atmosphere, cheaper tickets for those areas and who knows maybe even bigger crowds (potentially anyway).

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2012, 03:56:03 PM »
in the comments sectoion someone has a dig at fatty faulks on us getting relegated, poor sod cant do anything right  :P

I know it is a long way off, but I personally would like to see the bottom tiers of the Holte End and the North Stand being safe standing areas (could even go ahead with the redevelopment of the North Stand to include a safe standing area).  With all the recent revelations, I just can't see how bringing in safe standing would be disrepectful to the 96 people who died at Hillsborough.     

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2012, 03:58:32 PM »
Any details yet on what form this trial will take?
What part of the ground? How large an area? Will the construction of the area be based on the German model? When and for how long until its results are reviewed? Oh yes, and the little matter of pricing?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 06:06:58 PM by Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air »

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2012, 04:00:47 PM »
Any details yet on what form this trail will take?
What part of the ground? How large an area? Will the construction of the area be based on the German model? When and for how long until its results are reviewed? Oh yes, and the little matter of pricing?

When it was mentioned before the idea was for a small part of the Holte End near the Trinity Rd stand. 

Offline 1874

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2012, 04:05:02 PM »
If they do come back, I hope we don't get all that netting/fencing around them.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2012, 04:08:46 PM »
If they do come back, I hope we don't get all that netting/fencing around them.

Now that would be disrespectful to the 96.

Offline MonsXI

« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2012, 04:10:43 PM »
"The Hillsborough Family Support Group are totally against any form of standing whatsoever. We are absolutely against it and always will be. Our football clubs should remain all-seater stadiums. People always say they have standing areas in Germany, but we don't play any part over what happens in that country - we just believe there's no such thing as safe standing in this country. We will not be encouraging the government to change the law."

If you take her words at face value and forget if you can her role in the Justice campaign, she comes across as the type of extreme reactionary you'd normally take no notice of. She's not accepting any other argument, no evidence or any possibility that a situation could ever change.

Obviously your heart goes out to her, her family and all the others involved. Safe standing is just that safe! You can't disregard the facts from Germany where I have not heard one accident/incident in one of these areas.

It really is time that fans in this country start sticking up for themselves, over this issue plus ticket costs and the fact the football fans are treated like criminals purely for going to watch there team.

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2012, 04:18:51 PM »

Obviously your heart goes out to her, her family and all the others involved. Safe standing is just that safe! You can't disregard the facts from Germany where I have not heard one accident/incident in one of these areas.

It really is time that fans in this country start sticking up for themselves, over this issue plus ticket costs and the fact the football fans are treated like criminals purely for going to watch there team.

Many years ago Simon Page (who should get off his arse and start writing for us again) said in relation to this same subject that anyone who is an expert based on personal experience should be treated in exactly the same way as someone whose expertise has been gained through qualification and acquired knowledge, namely their opinions should be subject to scrutiny and challenged where appropriate. I echo your thoughts that my heart goes out to Mrs Aspinall and I have nothing but total respect for her work with the HJC, but what she says on this subject is tantamount to sticking your fingers in your ears and shouting "NO NO NO!!!" all the time.

Online Ger Regan

• GM : 25.11.2023
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2012, 04:21:54 PM »
I would have thought that the lower North Stand would have been the most obvious choice for trialling safe standing. Wasn't it standing in a previous era, rather than the holte, which was constructed as an all-seater stand?

Offline astonvillan

« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2012, 04:22:16 PM »
Also Margaret Aspinall:

"There is no place for standing in modern football and I cannot comprehend why people want to go back to how it was in the 1980s.

It is both insulting and insensitive to suggest that it is a good idea, particularly knowing there has never been any accountability for what happened at Hillsborough in April 1989.

I have had the argument about what happens in Germany thrown at me before, when people have raised the idea about bringing back standing in England.

Well, what people in another country do is their own affair.

We have had two tragedies at grounds with standing terraces in Great Britain - 96 football fans never returned home from Hillsborough, 66 lives were lost at Ibrox.

When I talk about never bringing standing back to football grounds here, I am thinking about my children and grandchildren going to games.

They should never be put in a position of how it was in the 1980s."

Can't talk to some people....

Online itbrvilla

• GM : 16.02.2022
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2012, 04:22:33 PM »

Many years ago Simon Page (who should get off his arse and start writing for us again) said in relation to this same subject that anyone who is an expert based on personal experience should be treated in exactly the same way as someone whose expertise has been gained through qualification and acquired knowledge, namely their opinions should be subject to scrutiny and challenged where appropriate. I echo your thoughts that my heart goes out to Mrs Aspinall and I have nothing but total respect for her work with the HJC, but what she says on this subject is tantamount to sticking your fingers in your ears and shouting "NO NO NO!!!" all the time.
Spot on.  Even the Taylor report doesn't blame standing for the incident. 

Offline astonvillan

« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2012, 04:38:34 PM »

That's where it would be. The pilot.

265 seats there currently.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal