collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How depressing has it all become?  (Read 28914 times)

Offline preston28

• GM : 03.04.2016
Re: How depressing has it all become?
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2012, 04:43:25 PM »
It was suicide watch under TSM, depressing under monsieur Houllier but nothing depressing about Lambert and what he is trying to do.
I am actually excited about the new squad and style of football - it will only get better.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2012, 05:25:07 PM »
Many of us myself included were critical of mon in the last year or so of his reign as we frustrated too many times and should have cracked the top 4 at the time - bent rather than heskey would have done it in my view.

But since his departure we have slipped alarmingly , similar to the way we did in the mid 80s when we gradually fell away and ended up relegated.

For all his faults how I would love to be back where we were under mon in the top 6 and with quality players . Very much a case of be careful what you wish for , I guess.

What's this Eastie? Reminicing about the MON era?

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2012, 05:43:27 PM »
I actually think we play some decent stuff. Oddly I think our defence has improved dramatically since last season. Our midfield remains a problem and our attack is, well, unlucky or shite.

I disagree about Lerner, he backed Lambert strongly, with more money than some clubs challenging for Europe, I also like Lamberts signings, none of them are past their prime, they can only get better as players.

But yes it is depressing. Yesterday I felt that cloud of "FFS we never catch a bloody break" washing over me again. Really what we need is a good run of inconsistency, because right now we are consistent losers , marked down as an easy touch by everyone on the league and a mark to go down by every pundit with a gob.

No choice in my mind but to stay behind Lambert and the team, things could get worse if we turn on them, thats an ugly situation that helps nobody.

Offline eastie

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2012, 05:45:24 PM »
Many of us myself included were critical of mon in the last year or so of his reign as we frustrated too many times and should have cracked the top 4 at the time - bent rather than heskey would have done it in my view.

But since his departure we have slipped alarmingly , similar to the way we did in the mid 80s when we gradually fell away and ended up relegated.

For all his faults how I would love to be back where we were under mon in the top 6 and with quality players . Very much a case of be careful what you wish for , I guess.

What's this Eastie? Reminicing about the MON era?

He left at the right time but there were some quality games and players and we did compete with the top clubs clamps- many times I have mentioned the Saunders, Taylor and Atkinson eras among others - memories of great times my old friend.

I hope in 10 years times to look back on the lambert reign with great memories too!

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2012, 05:46:44 PM »
There's no guarantee that O'Neill would have fared any better with having to sell all our best players, and replace them with tat.  In fact it's almost certain he wouldn't, which is part of the reason he walked, I imagine.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2012, 05:47:23 PM »
Brand O'Neill needed to remain intact.

Offline eastie

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2012, 05:51:59 PM »
There's no guarantee that O'Neill would have fared any better with having to sell all our best players, and replace them with tat.  In fact it's almost certain he wouldn't, which is part of the reason he walked, I imagine.

I agree, he could see the team was past it's best and cracks were appearing and he took the easy way out, moyes had to sell his best players for years but rolled up his sleeves and got on with it.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2012, 07:21:12 PM »
Call me deluded but I'm still optimistic.

Offline Kingthing

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2012, 08:56:49 PM »

I've been to 4 aways this season and we've lost the lot but at every game the support has been fantastic and I've had a cracking time, I love the company and world seems a lovely place to be.

Can't wait for Swindon and the free Ecstasy Tablets I supply to all my members of the Kingston Lions, join us, and like the love, its free.

Offline claret and blue blood

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2012, 10:01:10 PM »
I thought I was a pessimist but reading your post makes me realise just how much this club means to me. I still look forward to every home game ( I must admit pacing the floor listening to away games is hard lately). I think a sense of togetherness with the current team and team manager is beginning to shine through,(I never really felt MON connected with us and was always likey to leave which he did). I always tell my son that you have to support Villa through thick and thin, when we eventually get some form and success it will taste far sweeter than the monotonous inevitablity of the Man Cities / Chelsea's bought and paid for trophies are.
Get behind the team and keep the faith UTV !

Offline Lizz

• GM : 16.03.2022
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2012, 10:37:13 PM »
Call me deluded but I'm still optimistic.

Me too.

Online curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2012, 11:01:01 PM »
I'm not worried. The world is supposed to end in 64 days. It's implausible we'll have been relegated by then.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2012, 11:06:56 PM »
I believe Australians have all the qualities to become perfect Villa supporters, when Villa were genuine top four challengers many Villa supporters were criticising the manager, the players i.e Barry too fat and slow,Milner too slow to play on wing (me),Stan can't last the game out and so on. Over here we have full employment,no debt, Melbourne voted the most liveable city (i agree),weather always perfect somewhere in the country and a beach somewhere near you, and  yet Australians are looking to boot out the party that got us through the GFC unscathed. Whingers to their core, perfect for a supporter drive i reckon.

Offline JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2012, 05:14:40 AM »
I believe Australians have all the qualities to become perfect Villa supporters, when Villa were genuine top four challengers many Villa supporters were criticising the manager, the players i.e Barry too fat and slow,Milner too slow to play on wing (me),Stan can't last the game out and so on. Over here we have full employment,no debt, Melbourne voted the most liveable city (i agree),weather always perfect somewhere in the country and a beach somewhere near you, and  yet Australians are looking to boot out the party that got us through the GFC unscathed. Whingers to their core, perfect for a supporter drive i reckon.

You're right about that Robbo. Melbourne is a great place, what is there to moan about?

Offline NeilH

« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2012, 09:38:40 AM »
I think that the last few weeks have simply gone to prove how tough a job we have on our hands to stay up,  let alone move on. However, let’s be clear about this, most of us bought into the Lambert experiment, so there’s no point wetting our pants given that its struggling to get going.

Our team lacks so much quality in so many areas and the buying of lower league and Dutch league players was always going to be a gamble. BUT we wanted this, we wanted to start the club again with younger, hungry players, so I fail to see how you cannot feel involved in this journey. Last season was awful as most of us did not agree with TSM and hated the club ignoring our wishes. This team, the club has listened and given us the manager we wanted and delivered the players we’d been asking for. It might go totally and utterly tits up, but at least we can say ‘we experimented as one and failed as one’

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal