collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: No Press-ure  (Read 7927 times)

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
No Press-ure
« on: October 15, 2012, 10:38:44 AM »

Offline nigel

Re: No Press-ure
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 11:11:06 AM »
Some interesting points, especially regarding the pre qualifying.
A mate and I have often mentioned that they should do a separate tournament for the lower ranking teams. It will give them something to play for rather than making up the numbers. You could probably do a form of promotion into the upper tier as they improve.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 11:57:02 AM »
Good article Dave I like you can't understand why people haven't taken to Darren Bent.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 12:08:43 PM »
I was surprised at the crowd versus San Marino as well. The tickets must have been cheap although playing on a Friday night probably helps. They should still be taking the games around the country though.

Offline damon loves JT

• GM : 31.08.2016
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 12:38:50 PM »
They should still be taking the games around the country though.

I agree, but that will now never, ever happen.

Online Clampy

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 12:48:38 PM »
They should still be taking the games around the country though.

I agree, but that will now never, ever happen.

They could do it with the freindlies if they really wanted to, but no it'll never happen.

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, 12:52:20 PM »
I hate everything about 'the England setup'.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2012, 12:53:59 PM »
I might be in the minority here, but I think it's wrong to take away the likes San Marino from the international stage. 

Ultimately, 90% of the nations that play international football will never win anything, and most won't even qualify, but they still want to play and represent their country.  To my mind saying that country A isn't good enough to play country B is a bit of snobbery that takes away from the concept and spirit of international football.     

Offline damon loves JT

• GM : 31.08.2016
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2012, 12:57:30 PM »
I might be in the minority here, but I think it's wrong to take away the likes San Marino from the international stage. 

Ultimately, 90% of the nations that play international football will never win anything, and most won't even qualify, but they still want to play and represent their country.  To my mind saying that country A isn't good enough to play country B is a bit of snobbery that takes away from the concept and spirit of international football.     

What if country A were Scotland? That would be hilarious.

Online Clampy

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2012, 12:59:33 PM »
I hate everything about 'the England setup'.

I lost interest years ago.

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2012, 01:20:25 PM »

They can still represent their countries.

Most non-league clubs will never play a Premiership club in a competitive game, if they do get the chance it's by qualifying via a series of knockout games in the FA Cup.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2012, 01:23:45 PM »

Most non-league clubs will never play a Premiership club in a competitive game, if they do get the chance it's by qualifying via a series of knockout games in the FA Cup.

Exactly the point I was going to make Dave.  Teams like San Marino, Lichtenstein, Scotland and Malta etc should all have to play a pre-qualifying series of matches, and then the winners progress to the proper qualification stages. 

Offline Concrete John

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2012, 01:25:33 PM »

If World Cup qualifying were a knock out competition, then I'd agree with a FA Cup type system.  But it's not.  Everyone who is eligible to qualify starts at the same point and has to earn their place in the finals, which I quite like.   

Offline Concrete John

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2012, 01:34:19 PM »

Exactly the point I was going to make Dave.  Teams like San Marino, Lichtenstein, Scotland and Malta etc should all have to play a pre-qualifying series of matches, and then the winners progress to the proper qualification stages.

But what purpose does that serve, other than meaning the better countries play less games, meaning their players play more often for their clubs, who are usual the European elite?

Take away the likes of England v San Marino and it opens up room on the football calendar for shit like the '39th game' or an expansion of the CL. 
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 01:46:17 PM by Concrete John »

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2012, 03:44:55 PM »
Or it takes away the need for midweek league games. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal