collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Initial impressions under PL  (Read 35423 times)

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
Re: Initial impressions under PL
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2012, 11:23:26 AM »
No chance he will be a McNeil on the basis PL he has a clue.

This is not going to be an overnight fix.  We've got a virtually new side which is playing better than anything offered up for a few years.  Yes, there have been mistakes, especially in defence, these need to be sorted and as stated already the 'Dunne' type experience back there would help short term.

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2012, 11:27:28 AM »
The analogy I'd use is, imagine a long haul flight London HRW - Sydney. We've just taken off, got to 15,000 ft and hit some turbulence. The pilot will bring the position under control and settle in for a long journey.

Offline DrGonzo

« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2012, 11:34:26 AM »
The analogy I'd use is, imagine a long haul flight London HRW - Sydney. We've just taken off, got to 15,000 ft and hit some turbulence. The pilot will bring the position under control and settle in for a long journey.

You see, Paul, managing a club is very much like making love to a beautiful woman..."  ;)

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2012, 11:43:03 AM »

Yes but the owner of the airline has only seen fit to fill the plane with cheap, experimental new fuel - which gives rise to the risk of dropping into shark infested waters somewhere to the south-west of Indonesia.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2012, 11:45:10 AM »

You see, Paul, managing a club is very much like making love to a beautiful woman..."  ;)

Yes, early on it's easy to see what she offers up front.  Further down below there are possibilities but at an early stage, understandably, it's at the back where mistakes can be made.

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2012, 12:46:52 PM »
Lots of Villa fans thought that as soon as McLeish was gone, it would almost be perfectly alright straight after.

This is a massive job.

Offline andrew08

• GM : 12.09.2021
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2012, 01:09:06 PM »
I am worried about his dropping of Bent. Benteke has missed game changing chances in the last two away league games and I can only think that we need to sell him.

Before I begin may I just say, "Jesus! Really?? OH REALLY??  Nothing like giving a chap the chance to settle in to the pace of the game, etc, etc..."

Sorry I meant to imply selling Bent not Benteke. That said I did write Benteke off when he missed that chance against Swansea, but was forced to eat humble pie just after!

Offline silhillvilla

« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2012, 01:45:58 PM »
Selling Bent ? Just talk me through that one  ???

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2012, 01:58:43 PM »
I am glad that the general consensus is that we need to give Lambert time, given how much we have fallen in the past two seasons. Long term I think we will do well with PL, but the short term may be wobbly.

My main concerns re our performances so far are that we have not had a difficult start to the season but only have five points. It is far too early to make real judgment but I hope this is due to a bedding in process with a number of new signings.

I think the squad needs two things for this campaign - more experience and physical presence. I thought we looked physically frail at Spurs and W Ham, particularly in midfield. We have the potential for a bright future but need to ensure the present is secure first.

Offline Aston Villa

« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2012, 02:01:48 PM »
Bent is the first player that is literally guarenteed to score goals for us (even when not he or the team are not playing particularly well) since perhaps Yorke. Unless he is acting like a complete tw*t and causing sedation at the club then he shouldn't be sold at all. 

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2012, 02:02:43 PM »
Bent is the first player that is literally guarenteed to score goals for us (even when not he or the team are not playing particularly well) since perhaps Yorke. Unless he is acting like a complete tw*t and causing sedation at the club then he shouldn't be sold at all. 

Over the last few years, the football has done that very well.

*wink*

Offline Aston Villa

« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2012, 02:27:27 PM »

Over the last few years, the football has done that very well.

*wink*
I wouldn't say he has gone as far as being involved in open mutiny against PL that it has caused discord in the dressing room. It isn't the same as the way that Warnock, Dunne and Collins shamelessly tried to cause a revolt against Houllier. Yes, Bent was stupid to say what he said to the media and his punishment was probably being left out again against Spuds. I doubt the general dressing room morale has been affected by his 'spat' with PL. Lets not forget that the media have tried their best to spin it, labeling it as a crisis and such.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2012, 03:04:57 PM »
silhillvilla: you wanted someone to talk you through selling Bent. It's when a club offers us (and him) money to let him go and play for them.

Okay?

Offline silhillvilla

« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2012, 03:07:42 PM »
Percy, thanks for clearing that up.  ;)

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2012, 03:11:21 PM »
No problem.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal