collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Initial impressions under PL  (Read 35422 times)

Offline Lambert and Payne

• GM : Sep, 2012
Re: Initial impressions under PL
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2012, 08:56:41 AM »
He's got a very difficult job on his hands. But he's the man to do it, a lot of dead weight to wave goodbye too and he needs to bring a few more players in
I like the way were playing, the way we don't seem to give up and the way we set up. Were gunna really hammer a team soon, got a feeling it could be Norwich

Offline andrew08

• GM : 12.09.2021
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2012, 08:56:57 AM »
I'm pretty relaxed about it so far. We've only had two shockers in my view and that was the two second half performances at West Ham and Southampton. Everton well and truly beat us, Newcastle was fine as was Swansea and West Brom. We are a new team in the making and they need time. I am worried about his dropping of Bent. Benteke has missed game changing chances in the last two away league games and I can only think that we need to sell him.

So I'm more concerned about Randy: has he gone into Doug mode whereby we have to self fund? In which case lets just concentrate on a decade of mid table and league cup runs. Just like about 14 other teams in the league.

I am impressed with us as fans though. Great away support and they are buying into what PL is trying to do. They deserved that night at Man City, here's to another cup run.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2012, 08:58:08 AM »
Who's called for his head? I heard a rumour at Spurs but I was there and I never heard a thing. I think that's bollocks personally

Offline asgpaul

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2012, 09:19:47 AM »
It's a huge task he took on and will take time in rebuilding the squad.  There have certainly been signs of what he wants to do and how he intends to play which have been hugely positive.  This season for me is all about building foundations, hopefully solid foundations for the future.  We've had a couple of 'surprising' and disappointing results thus far but I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking this is going to be a proper Jekyll & Hyde season. 

My only concern really has been the dropping of Darren Bent who I think should have started at Spurs at the weekend but I have faith in Lambert, and hope he's given the support from all associated at / with the club.

Offline Dr Butler

• GM : 10.08.2022
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2012, 09:20:17 AM »
Who's called for his head? I heard a rumour at Spurs but I was there and I never heard a thing. I think that's bollocks personally

???

really ?

tough job on but I am not that worried as I can see what he is trying achieve, get rid of the deadwood and get to January and then we should take stock of where we are .
no panic here

UTV
The Doc

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2012, 09:29:08 AM »
It's far too early to assess him.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2012, 09:47:25 AM »
It's far too early to assess him.

I think it's far too early to judge or draw any meaningful conclusions, but the assessment is an ongoing thing, IMO.

So far, it's a case of some good work being put in, both on and off the pitch, which hasn't yielded the results yet.  I think there's two reasons for that; a) these things take time and b) we probably are lacking in a bit of quality.  I'm hopeful Randy will back him again in January, but even then I think we're facing a season of ups and downs where we just need to have a bit of faith and get behind the team and the manager.   

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2012, 09:55:56 AM »
In the medium to long term he is what we need, someone who is seems keen to play modern, tactical football, bring in younger hungrier players rather than overpaid cruisers, and who doesn't take any shit.

In the short term I am concerned he is making a similar mistake to Houllier in trying to change the culture overnight.  While younger hungrier players are great you do need some older experienced heads in the PL and I'm not convinced we have enough.  We definitely need a midfield general and a few more leaders on the pitch.       

In a similar vein Lerner has gone from one extreme to the other, from throwing money around like there's no tomorrow to tightening the purse strings to a degree that seriously hinders our competitiveness.

Whilst I feel positive about Lambert generally I can't help thinking that these two short term policies combined represent a very big risk to our PL status.   A couple of solid midfield signings in January would go a long way to alleviating that feeling.

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2012, 09:57:42 AM »
For me this season is all about survival, then we go again (to use a lambert stock phrase) next summer. I'm hoping our new scouting network unearth a few gems for 2013.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2012, 10:05:20 AM »
After three years of rigid tactics, followed by a year of hard to discern tactics, and a year of disgraceful defensive nonsense, it is good to see a manager who will change the way he sends us out, depending on the opposition.

Have to concur with Joe's point on the previous page, though, it has all been so humdrum and rubbish for so long now, it's hard to be as enthusiastic as I might have been in the past.

That degree of recent shitness is reflected in how long it is going to take to put things right. We sank very deeply, very quickly. In terms of general, overall stewardship of the club, you have to question the chairman and how he has run things to allow a huge investment to be reduced to this, so quickly. In fact, it is the chairman who worries me more than the manager.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 10:30:39 AM by pauliewalnuts »

Offline VillaAlways

• GM : 23.10.2016
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2012, 10:29:34 AM »
The thing I love about Lambert is that he sets out to WIN every single game.You never hear him using the words "elite clubs" like a certain other manager,he treats every team as an equal.The most soul destroying aspect of last season was knowing that we were not even going to attempt to compete with the top 6 and the complete lack of responsibility for results by TSM who regularly resorted to belittling the club on more than one occasion.PL takes full responsibility for results and has said so on many occasions.I love his confidence in himself and the players.I'm with him all the way

Offline DrGonzo

« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2012, 10:36:44 AM »
I am worried about his dropping of Bent. Benteke has missed game changing chances in the last two away league games and I can only think that we need to sell him.

Before I begin may I just say, "Jesus! Really?? OH REALLY??  Nothing like giving a chap the chance to settle in to the pace of the game, etc, etc..."

As I have said before I'd rather lose playing good football than to keep watching us barely survive as we did last year.  This was never going to be a quick job, the squad from last season was threadbare and it's confidence drained by a grinding year of negative tactics.  It wasn't just the quality of the squad that needed improving, it was the mentality also.
I don't think we are going to be relegated but I don't believe we'll be top 8, not for another season or two.  I see progress, players that believe in themselves.  We have to see that there is half a new team out on that pitch most weeks and they will only improve by playing together.  We have a new back four, it takes time to develop an understanding of each other's playing style and adapt to suit.
We'll be fine it will just take a little time and patience, getting on the team's back will only make the situation worse, at least they are trying this year, something I wasn't convinced they were doing last year.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2012, 11:03:27 AM »
Far too early to assess, but I think he'll be fine. He's done enough good things already to suggest he has a good plan in mind.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2012, 11:09:21 AM »
Too early. He could be the next Ron Saunders but equally he could be the next Billy McNeill.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2012, 11:18:20 AM »
My enthusiasm in the Villa was renewed with the departure of the previous encumbent in the manager's position and the appointment of Lambert.  We all knew it wouldn't be smooth sailing to start off with but I firmly believe we're on the right track.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal