collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Initial impressions under PL  (Read 35416 times)

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
Initial impressions under PL
« on: October 09, 2012, 09:56:29 PM »
6 games in, what are the initial thoughts of how the Paul Lambert reign has kicked off?

Obviously there has been a huge turnaround in personnel since last season. Players and management still getting to know each other and new signings still settling in.

The cup win at City obviously the highlight but aside from that 5 points from the opening six games is a poor return. Given's form over the summer has carried over with Guzan coming in. Many of us held reservations about the Vlaar and Clark partnership which is very much a work in progress. 2 new full backs, both did ok at the weekend but still not offering much width going forward. An improvement on the gruesome twosome though.
Midfield there is a startling lack of quality available. Dont think Lambert has made up his mind if he is looking for a diamond formation there or is looking for widemen. Ireland and Nzogbia still flattering to deceive while El Ahmadi is starting to struggle after a positive impression in the first few games.
Up front the wait for a league goal goes on for Gabby. Benteke looks a handful but very raw. Bent and the manager seem at loggerheads already but he still has scored twice.

We really seem like we will struggle to score this season. No threat from midfield and Bent is still our best bet for a goal. I think there is a distinct lack of quality in midfield which is hurting us at both ends of the pitch.
Have we improved all that much from last season on the evidence so far?

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
Re: Initial impressions under PL
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 10:01:37 PM »
He's got a difficult job but I think he's the man to do it.

A big thumbs up from me with the caveat that he needs to buy, beg, borrow or steal an experinced midfielder or two in Jan.

Offline PaulMcGrathsNo5Shirt

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 10:14:03 PM »
I like how he was very quick to identify that Warnock, Collins and Hutton were our weakness and he has gone out to do all that he can to rectify that. Obviously Hutton not going anywhere has possibly meant another player may not have come in.

I like his signings, all young players with something to prove in the game and should they be a success and move on to a bigger club we'll make good money on them. His buying has been thoughtful and strategic. Off the pitch Lambert has moved quickly to bring in his own backroom staff and they have a tough job to completely turn us around. There is a marked improvement in the way we play and it will take time for 'his way' to turn into results.

Lambert has the fans on his side, but will no doubt make mistakes, just like his young players we have to be patient and take the poorer performances on the chin and not get carried away with the wins. We'll be more positive, we'll at least try and win some games and score goals. I think we'll win more games this season, but I also think we'll lose more and draw not many.

Give him time, and a few quid in the next 2 or 3 transfer windows and he will see us ok I'm confident.

Offline Chipsticks

• GM : 22.04.2015
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 10:17:13 PM »
Heavily optimistic about the future. A tiny bit concerned about the present.

Offline The Left Side

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 10:52:12 PM »
Proud history, Brighter future than 3 years ago!

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 10:59:52 PM »
7 games, not 6.

I'm optimistic for the long run. I'd love us to have more points already but the signs are there that things are going in the right direction. The only result that i'm really narked by is the Saints one, and those things happen sometimes.

Offline joe_c

• Location: My secret hayloft, shot with shafts of afternoon sunlight
  • GM : 31.03.2020
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 11:02:25 PM »
7 games, not 6.

I'm optimistic for the long run. I'd love us to have more points already but the signs are there that things are going in the right direction. The only result that i'm really narked by is the Saints one, and those things happen sometimes.

I agree with that. The trouble for me is that things have so bollocks for the last two or three years that I find it difficult to summon up much enthusiasm or optimism at the moment.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 11:04:08 PM »
Heavily optimistic about the future. A tiny bit concerned about the present.

Well summed up Chips. It feels a little like last season results wise and nothing like it in pretty much every other aspect. That's why I'm convinced the results will come.

Offline Rancid custard

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2012, 12:18:19 AM »
We're keeping the ball on the ground and the team all move around each other trying to free up a pass, Around January 2 years back under Houllier this was starting to happen, before his heart started playing up then we reverted to the type of hoofing we all know and love.

We fight for the game for 90 minutes, instead of rolling over and dying.

Although it might not show in results, we are playing a lot better than I've seen in a while.

Offline Michel Sibble

• Wiibble.
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2012, 05:24:59 AM »
If it was late December and we're still 16th, then yes, get the cyanide pills out.

We've been unlucky in games and still have a squad full of expensive shite. Just how long do people expect PL to affect positive, sustained change under these circimstances?

Seven games and some are even calling for his head. Luckily they're fuckwits.

Offline QBVILLA

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2012, 06:33:16 AM »
We're in for a relegation battle as we have been for the past two seasons. The new signings have on the whole been fairly impressive but our back four's lack of premiership experience has been plain to see. We've lost too many soft goals and we've had problems against the smaller more mobile forwards. Attacking wise whilst Benteke may have potential at this moment in time he's nowhere near the level of Bent and would be behind Bent,Gabby and Weimann for me. EL Ahmadi has been the best new signing and in general i'd say we've looked a lot better in midfield. N'Zogbia, a player who i've never taken to has started to perform and show the undoubted ability he has. the one big improvement has been the spirit we've shown and 45 minutes aside at St Mary's we've at least shown fight which bodes well as it's going to be a long season. We need to start taking our chances and winning some home games as there is already a gap appearing in the league table. I have faith in Lambert to steer us to safety as he has already put the pride back into the club that Houllier first took away before McMinge led us into a big depression. In the summer I said we'd get tenth at best and i'll stick to that but I think it'll be a season of looking over our shoulders rather than ahead of us.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2012, 07:13:25 AM »
Taking the right steps and I expect a better second half to the season. Its wrong to compare the start if this and last season. We need to look at the second half of last year. We've sold the majority of an entire squad from 2 years ago

Even if we did go down, I think lambert would be the best man to bring us up again

But we lack proven quality in midfield

I think kea has improved in the last 3 games. Can ill afford to lose him to the African nations.

Our greenness is a problem at the moment

Really need Ireland / n'zogbia to kick on at this point. Tempted to start n'zogbia v Norwich to really try and pull them apart

Bannan has created more chances than any other player this year and he needs another chance for me

Can

Offline nick harper

• GM : Feb, 2012
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2012, 08:28:45 AM »
For all the changes, the key for Lambert is to get his most talented players integrated into defined roles in the side and playing - N'Zogbia and Ireland. He also needs Dunne at his best in the back four to give much needed experience.

We look a side with plenty of enthusiasm and commitment - can't fault that this season, but we lack quality and are not creating many chances. With a defence that is shaky at times, it's not a good combination.

Offline QBVILLA

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2012, 08:40:19 AM »
. He also needs Dunne at his best in the back four to give much needed experience.

Spot on

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2012, 08:51:44 AM »
We are missing the massive experience of (an in form) Dunne and Petrov.

Whilst the back four has lots of promise, there is a lack of experience at this level, hopefully they will all grow as a unit.

I also think Bent has to start and the sooner the midfield shape and personnel are worked out, the better.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal