collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Doug Ellis - patron saint of alkies  (Read 24252 times)

Online JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
Re: Doug Ellis - patron saint of alkies
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2012, 08:46:48 PM »
Three Hammers as well. Top seller .

should have called  it Three Villains or lions  thou.

Online JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2012, 08:50:28 PM »

A two-litre bottle of Frosty Jack's with 15 units of alcohol is on sale at Tesco for £3.79, equivalent to 40p per unit.

people always moaning about the strong beers and ciders but completely forgetting about the spirits .

a tesco cheap 40% vol vodka . £7        28 shorts  @ 25p a shot

ps not moaning at you Dave , just the quote in the mail

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2012, 10:25:20 PM »
If Doug still cared he'd buy us a few players with that money

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2012, 10:50:52 PM »
I remember a brew called Cripplecock from my days down in Paignton on holiday. It came in those containers that usually hold industrial cleaner and you could buy it from a nearby farm. Fuck knows what volume it was but I always remember trying to walk on sand in the early evening sun absolutely fuckin' wankered.

Great days.

Offline bertlambshank

• GM : 30.06.2019
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2012, 12:00:37 AM »
We used to bottle Man Utd lager and bitter.3% piss.
God I hated that job.

Offline joe_c

• Location: My secret hayloft, shot with shafts of afternoon sunlight
  • GM : 31.03.2020
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2012, 12:53:48 AM »
We used to bottle Man Utd lager and bitter.3% piss.
God I hated that job.

"Can I have two bottles of Gloryhunter, a Pale Imitation and a London Export please?"

From Wikipedia:

Industrial sabotage plot

In 2001, Michael Hancocks, a major shareholder (12% of the shares) whose family owns 44% of Aston Manor, organized a conspiracy to contaminate the cider products of the company's rival, H. P. Bulmer. He recruited a former Aston Manor employee, chemist Richard Gay, to produce a yeast that he planned to introduce into Bulmer's production line, recruited his daughter's partner, Paul Harris, to transport the contaminant, and paid a Bulmer's employee, Russell Jordan, £16,000 to introduce the contaminant. Jordan did not introduce the contaminant, but reported the plot to Bulmers and to the police, and the plot was foiled. If the plot had succeeded, anyone drinking the contaminated cider would have suffered diarrhoea and nausea.

I vaguely remember this and I think Doug was called as a witness during the court proceedings?

Offline bertlambshank

• GM : 30.06.2019
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2012, 01:42:00 AM »
Yep,Hancocks owned the farm where the apples came from.Got 18 months if I remember right.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2012, 08:10:48 AM »
Industrial sabotage plot

In 2001, Michael Hancocks, a major shareholder (12% of the shares) whose family owns 44% of Aston Manor, organized a conspiracy to contaminate the cider products of the company's rival, H. P. Bulmer. He recruited a former Aston Manor employee, chemist Richard Gay, to produce a yeast that he planned to introduce into Bulmer's production line, recruited his daughter's partner, Paul Harris, to transport the contaminant, and paid a Bulmer's employee, Russell Jordan, £16,000 to introduce the contaminant. Jordan did not introduce the contaminant, but reported the plot to Bulmers and to the police, and the plot was foiled. If the plot had succeeded, anyone drinking the contaminated cider would have suffered diarrhoea and nausea.

I vaguely remember this and I think Doug was called as a witness during the court proceedings?
[/quote]

I am sure some anti-doug fanatic will say he was probably directly involved.  Just like they will say he lit the match to set fire to the old ASDA on the Serpentine.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2012, 08:27:30 AM »
Yes, and how long before some anti-Doug fanatic mentions the fire at the Holte Hotel?

Offline rutski

« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2012, 08:34:04 AM »
they way i see it though is you are always going to get people who will want to get twisted, will the expenditure increase not send people down the route of cheap foreign spirits? more black markey alcohol flooding the market?

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2012, 08:34:14 AM »
What fire was that then ;-)

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2012, 09:10:25 AM »
The old ASDA fire must have been 15 plus years ago now. It was certainly useful in making a lot more room in the car park.
The ownership, proposed sale etc of the serpentine land  has always seemed to have a history of  mystery and intrigue.   

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2012, 11:59:15 AM »
The old ASDA fire must have been 15 plus years ago now. It was certainly useful in making a lot more room in the car park.
The ownership, proposed sale etc of the serpentine land  has always seemed to have a history of  mystery and intrigue.   

Whoever owns it now, getting £7 million was one good deal.

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2012, 01:07:29 PM »
The site I believe was acquired by Advantage West Midlands, a quasi government agency who were planning to build a sports complex there including Olympic sized pool etc.
The plans seem to have mothballed

Offline Steve R

• GM : Aug, 2013
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2012, 01:44:49 PM »
It is a little known fact that the Tame used to run through what is now the serpentine car park, with a loop in the river going right to the edge of  the grounds of the church.

When the railway was built the river was culverted and re-routed the other side of the line.

I think that rather than torch the site, Ellis' real intention was to have a Time Team special based there, scouring the old river bed for dark-age bottle tops and condoms.

Doug himself would regale Tony Robinson with a full rundown of the tactical errors made by the Royalists at the battle of Edgehill, together with how he would of laugh and joke with Bouddicca whenever he visited the hair salon she used to run in Handsworth Wood. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal