collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa Park on Rugby World Cup shortlist.  (Read 11588 times)

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
Re: Villa Park on Rugby World Cup shortlist.
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2012, 11:34:14 AM »
The Olympics is bigger than the Rugby World Cup but you turned that down didn't you, Paul.  :-\

It's not bigger for Villa, though.

The only people who are allowed to make money at Olympic venues are the Olympic organisers and their sponsors.

Whatever the reason for us turning it down, I really doubt it would have earned us any money at all.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2012, 11:40:34 AM »
I think it's safe to say Welford road not being included wasn't due to the club deciding against it - club statement

Looking into it more it's the length of the pitch that has cost them, there's something about off-field dacilities but that can be dealt with in time, moving a stand to extend the pitch is too big a job.

I've always though the pitch at Leicester looked a bit short

Offline rjp

• aka Rob
  • GM : 07.05.2024
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2012, 12:00:17 PM »
It's sandwiched between 2 major roads which will always hamper them.  I believe they're intending to build another huge stand to match the new one and then they're going to rotate the pitch 90 degrees.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2012, 12:17:09 PM »
It's sandwiched between 2 major roads which will always hamper them.  I believe they're intending to build another huge stand to match the new one and then they're going to rotate the pitch 90 degrees.

That's right, they were shortlisted on the basis of the Crumbie Stand being redeveloped but the club can't afford it and can't get any backers so it's not going to happen.  It means their pitch and corporate facilities aren't up to standard.  Kingsholm has a couple of issues but they have plans in place to resolve them so they will be at the standard for the start.

Offline Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2012, 12:24:05 PM »
I wouldn't mind going to a Leicester Tigers game around Christmas time. Sounds like it's worth going, my mate is banging on at me about it - plus there's terracing.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2012, 12:24:58 PM »
Rugby?

Meh. All those coppers and solicitors in their Barbour jackets and tweedy caps. No ta.

Offline rjp

• aka Rob
  • GM : 07.05.2024
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2012, 12:32:10 PM »
I wouldn't mind going to a Leicester Tigers game around Christmas time. Sounds like it's worth going, my mate is banging on at me about it - plus there's terracing.

Brilliant, another car parking on my estate :)

Offline Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2012, 12:35:30 PM »

Brilliant, another car parking on my estate :)

:P We'll be training it!

Online lovejoy

« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2012, 12:48:47 PM »
Rugby?

Meh. All those coppers and solicitors in their Barbour jackets and tweedy caps. No ta.

True of some teams (Bath, Harlequins, Wasps spring to mind) unfair for others (Leicester, Northampton) and faintly ridiculous for Gloucester where rugby is the game of the common man. Any barbours at Kingsholm are worn by foreigners (ie people from Cheltenham).

Plumbutt I am not sure i agree with re Lye Town. Average Aviva attendances are around 13,000 and England will generally sell out (80,000) the 6N - is their ground that big?!

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2012, 12:50:02 PM »

There's pros and cons.

Pros:
You can have a beer on the terraces
Friendly atmosphere
Fans of both clubs stand together
Plenty of good old-fashioned effort from the teams involved

Cons:
It's fucking rugby.

Offline DeKuip

« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2012, 01:00:25 PM »
Mid-September to end of October 2015?
Am I the only one concerned at having all those extra white lines going across the pitch during our Champions League home games?

Offline danlanza

« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2012, 01:02:22 PM »
Didn'tthink it was just me who was worried about that.

Offline andyaston

« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2012, 03:51:03 PM »
I go to a couple of Bath games a season and I am going to my second match at Twickers in the Autumn against the Aussies. I like the atmosphere at a rugby game its a contrast to that of a football match, its more civilised between opposition fans and the performance is as important as the result in some cases. In football the atmosphere is more intense and the result is more important to the fans. I don't think you can beat walking out of Villa Park with a victory, even if its been pretty damn rare in the past 12 months.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2012, 03:57:23 PM »
Rugby?

As Stuart Marconie wrote, the only good thing about Rugby is it gives the opportunity to assault an off-duty copper with impunity.

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2012, 04:00:15 PM »
I wouldn't mind going to a Leicester Tigers game around Christmas time

A mate took me to see London Irish against someone a few Chistmasses ago. At Vicarage Road - is it Saracens who play there?.

Everyone in the crowd wore a fez and the half time entertainment consisted of a camel being marched around the perimeter of the pitch. I couldn't work out which team was which because they were all covered in shit. It was quite good to be able to chat to the posh people either side of me though, beer in hand. No scrapping either

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal