collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The next 4 games....  (Read 25429 times)

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
Re: The next 4 games....
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2012, 11:14:50 PM »
I was thinking of Sessegnon and Larsson, both of whom I rate, when posting (had forgotten about Johnson). They are good players. And McLean is raw but has undoubted potential (think he's been over-hyped here in Ireland though) but whatever way MON has them set-up, in the games I've seen them this season and the back-end of last, it's like us at our worst at home under him when we'd struggle to break down lesser teams and end up drawing again.
Away from home, it's the same hit them on the break tactic that we had under him but they don't have the pace and power of Gabby/Milner/Young.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2012, 11:20:18 PM »
Yeah all that' true, they've become very similar to us by the usual way he's built up the squad (he's playing Gardner at RB again).

I think they'll probably sneak into top 10 which says as much for the "quality" below the top 7 as their defence is pretty solid.

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2012, 12:06:56 AM »
1 pt. A draw with Norwich. Lose the other two league games.

probably beat Swindon but that doesnt really matter.

Offline bilsim

• I just love Aston Villa.
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2012, 12:28:53 AM »
I think it's going to be very topsy turvey and for that reason, very difficult to predict. After the Swansea and Mercenary City games, there's been a feeling that we're on the right path. Compare that with the Southampton or Spurs games, and suddenly it's doom and gloom. The fact is that over the next few months Lambert will begin to get a much better idea of what is needed and what will work for us. I can honestly say that no set of results from these games would particularly surprise me, with the youth and inexperience we have I'd be surprised if we don't have a few more real disappointments along the way.
That being said, I also think with the drive and continuing progression that is being made in our football, this fear that November will be make or break is unfounded. I'm confident that we can get at least four points from the two Manc clubs and Arsenal. One thing to be sure of is that we'll go out to win and put in an effort we can be proud of.

Offline Richard Richard

« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2012, 12:38:27 AM »

Apart from it being the most important game of the 4.

Offline Aston Villa

« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2012, 01:35:59 AM »

So the league cup is more important then EPL safety?

Offline Richard Richard

« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2012, 02:18:56 AM »

We only get one chance to win this match, we've got 33 more chances to get premier league points.

Offline Aston Villa

« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2012, 02:41:49 AM »
We only get one chance to win this match, we've got 33 more chances to get premier league points.
Not as clear cut as that though. Sometimes a team can never recover from a bad run as their confidence is too low. I think the Norwich game is must win and if we were to lose it then it could really destroy our season. To be clear, I'd love nothing more then a good cup run. But I wouldn't place any particular importance on it this season.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2012, 08:55:03 AM »
Really can't see how anybody could call these next four games so far in advance, except maybe beating Swindon. We just don't know what to expect. Probably a fair bet we'll lose to fulham. Norwich? Fuck knows. Sunderland? Fuck knows.

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2012, 09:00:34 AM »
2 draws 1 win 1 defeat

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2012, 10:08:45 AM »

Yep, I'd love a trophy, wouldn't you?

Offline supertom

« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2012, 10:18:38 AM »
Norwich at home is an absolute must win. Because the other two (prem games) aren't easy. I'd take a point from each right now. Lost against Norwich and after 10 games we could well have 1 win. That's staring down the barrel lads.

For all that things have improved in some areas, we're no better, if not worse, than during Houlliers time. We kept the ball well enough then but like now, the midfield wasn't right and we didn't create anything. And back then we still had Downing (woopty do) and Young.

Randy may have to have a Bentesque desperation splurge in Jan to keep us up. Hopefully we've got the money for that. If we could get a quality midfielder in, it could make all the difference. We're losing games primarily because our midfield isn't nearly good enough. Too much pressure on defence, too little creativity going forward and very imbalanced. If we could get Milner (yes I said it, and yes, it aint happening I know) I'd cartwheel with joy.

Offline supertom

« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2012, 10:21:06 AM »

I'd take 6 point from those 3 games over a cup win in all honesty. I think if we're come out with less than 5 points, we're really in trouble. Even if we get 5 points, we'd be on 10 points after 10 games. Which is shite and still relegation form.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2012, 10:28:15 AM »

Yep, I'd love a trophy, wouldn't you?

Not if it meant doing a Blues and getting relegated in the same season.

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2012, 10:38:27 AM »
Ok -
fulham (a) 0-2 defeat, fulham are solid at home and berbatov will be back for this one
norwich (h) 3-2 win, a pulsating end to end game with Wreckless defending at both ends
swindon (a) 2-0 win, the cup is a red herring for us but we'll win this
Sunderland (a) 1-4 defeat, Southampton repeat with fletcher bullying Clark and Vlaar

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal