collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Midfield  (Read 22216 times)

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
Re: Midfield
« Reply #90 on: November 04, 2012, 09:13:47 AM »
Unless anyone is injured i'd start with the same side as today for the next game. Let players know that if you get the shirt and play well you keep it.
Agreed: Bring KEA and Holman on at some point during the game, but yesterday's front 6 are getting plaudits and should be given the chance to build on it.

Offline preston28

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #91 on: November 04, 2012, 09:16:56 AM »
Unless anyone is injured i'd start with the same side as today for the next game. Let players know that if you get the shirt and play well you keep it.
Agreed: Bring KEA and Holman on at some point during the game, but yesterday's front 6 are getting plaudits and should be given the chance to build on it.

Agree totally. Midfield looked the best we've had all season yesterday. Width with balls being passed forward!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 09:46:45 AM by preston28 »

Offline Ron Manager

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #92 on: November 04, 2012, 09:36:15 AM »
Yes very good performance yesterday but that was against Sunderland who have quite a few mediocre players. The next game is against Man U who have exactly the opposite.

Anybody think we should man mark Van Persie?. Holman or Chris Herd could do this job. Rooney is far too strong physically to be man marked. Benteke should give Rio and Johny Evans a rough time. Evans does not have the weight or height to deal with Beneteke and Rio (in his later years) cannot turn quickly so Weimann and Agbonlahor could turn this to our advantage.

I hope Nathan Bakers fit for this one as I just dont have the confidence in Clark that I do with young Baker.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #93 on: November 04, 2012, 10:21:10 AM »
You'd man mark their centre fwd with one of our midfielders? Can't say I would!

Let's not go overboard about yday. Good away performance in a drab game. But if Sunderland ha nicked it we'd be talking about our lack of punch. Next 3 games will be altogether different. I still suspect kea and Holman will have key roles to play. It's possible both will start v man u.

Offline Steve R

• GM : Aug, 2013
« Reply #94 on: November 04, 2012, 10:25:33 AM »
We gave Sunderland 54% of possession yesterday. If we give ManU the same space in midfield we will be in trouble.

If the whole thing looked a lot better, and it did, maybe that was down to formation more than players, although Westwood did look very good.

Maybe KEA would look the good player that he was in the early games playing in that formation. Most of the criticism I have seen is that he passes sideways a lot. Maybe that's because the only other option has been a fighting hoof up to Benteke or whoever. In the absence of Stan he is still our best midfielder.

KEA Westwood
Weimann ???? Agbonlahor

The central spot between the two wider players is a tough one.

Bannan and Ireland looked good only in parts yesterday. Each could be a luxury too far against a better team. Logically Delph would be a better player pushed forward, but that was the Delph we bought not the one we have today. Holman has plenty of industry but little else, you need more in a position like that. It would be fanciful to try Carruthers or Johnson there.

Time for Lambert to earn his corn. ManU are beatable if we get it right.

Offline onje_villa

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #95 on: November 04, 2012, 11:40:46 AM »
Yes very good performance yesterday but that was against Sunderland who have quite a few mediocre players. The next game is against Man U who have exactly the opposite.

Anybody think we should man mark Van Persie?. Holman or Chris Herd could do this job. Rooney is far too strong physically to be man marked. Benteke should give Rio and Johny Evans a rough time. Evans does not have the weight or height to deal with Beneteke and Rio (in his later years) cannot turn quickly so Weimann and Agbonlahor could turn this to our advantage.

I hope Nathan Bakers fit for this one as I just dont have the confidence in Clark that I do with young Baker.
To be fair I'd normally agree with you but thought Clark was excellent yesterday, maybe the competition for his place is doing him some good.
Think Man U will be very very tough. Two young full backs up against Young and Valencia with Rooney and Van Persie too. I think the league's theirs this season I really do. Van Persie is just going to give them so many more goals.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal