collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa manager Paul Lambert denies rift with Darren Bent  (Read 89748 times)

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
Aston Villa manager Paul Lambert denies rift with Darren Bent
« on: October 01, 2012, 07:12:31 AM »
Unlike journalists to try to stir things up - I don't see anything in this article to justify the headline.

From Auntie

Aston Villa manager Paul Lambert has denied he has any problem with Darren Bent, despite dropping the striker for the 1-1 draw with West Brom.

Bent started the game on the bench, but came on to equalise Shane Long's goal.

"I just thought for this given game this was the right team," Lambert said. "I need everybody, the whole 26 lads, to perform."

Bent, who had started all of Villa's previous Premier League games this season, got his 150th league goal.

He started the season as Villa skipper, but was replaced by Ron Vlaar  before the game against Swansea on 15 September.

But Lambert denied any rift with the England forward.

"I don't think Darren Bent has got anything to prove to me or the outside world, everybody knows he's a proven goalscorer," said Lambert.

The 28-year-old forward admitted it "had been a difficult couple of weeks, losing the captaincy first off then finding out I wasn't playing today".

He added: "Obviously it would have been nice to play from the start but I managed to score the goal to get a point.

"The start of the season's been up and down. Today we showed signs that we are heading in the right direction and we've all got faith in the manager."

Villa have won only once in the league this season, but beat Manchester City in the Capital One Cup on Wednesday. And Lambert, who named eight of the that team against West Brom, said he was content with a point.

"Today was a big point for us," Lambert said. "I'm really happy we kept on going. It's easy to let your heads go down when you go a goal down in a derby game, but I have to give the team so much credit for bouncing back.

"I thought we were unlucky not go into half-time not winning anyway but sometimes if you can't win, make sure you don't lose it.

"It's fairly difficult to dominate a game for 90 minutes but the crowd played their part and I've nothing but praise for the team. They were excellent."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19780848

Offline Phil from the upper holte

Re: Aston Villa manager Paul Lambert denies rift with Darren Bent
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 07:32:04 AM »
Something about nothing, Bent is not a captain, he is a goal scorer but he has to realise he'll play when he's playing well and if he's not playing well he'll be on the bench

Offline Chipsticks

• GM : 22.04.2015
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 07:50:25 AM »
Bent knows his role, I wouldn't believe for a second that he's fallen out with Lambert. The only thing that make me stop and think is how pissed off and unmotivated he looked during the warm-up yesterday.

Offline sid1964

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 08:08:46 AM »
The only thing i noticed  after he scored he seemed to be heading in Lamberts direction until he was stopped, by Holman.

I honestly think if the right offer comes in for him in January he will be gone.

Offline Le Lapin

• GM : 14.10.2022
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 08:14:13 AM »
He'll be gone in to the Dippers in Jan I reckon. Hope I'm wrong.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 08:14:38 AM »
Well I hope there isn't a fall out, we need Darren Bent and there is no doubt about that.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2012, 08:33:59 AM »
It was right to give the front 2 the start after the City game. Unfortunately Gabby did not get into any scoring positions and Benteke had a tough time in front of goal, so Bent was needed, and showed why he is so valuable. I would think Gabby and Bent will start next week now and Benteke will be super sub.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2012, 08:35:34 AM »
I will say that the only mistake Lambert has made is making Bent captain and then stripping him of it, that probably made him feel undermined.

Offline Reuben

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2012, 08:52:12 AM »
I know there is another thread for this but I am fed up with the media trying to make us look rubbish/idiots/whatever.  I'm bored of the Martin O'Neil comparisons further stirred up by Dwight Yorke yesterday.  I'm bored of the 2 home wins in 15 or whatever and other statistics based on 2012 rather than 2012/13 season.  Yesterday both Gabby and Bent were criticised for lack of goals over the last year but no mention was made of injuries.

Anyway - I hope this story is nothing.  Lambert seems to pick on form and I'd be surprised if Bent doesn't start the next game with Benteke making way.

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2012, 08:56:35 AM »
Gabby and Benteke had a great understanding against Man City and deserved a chance to start. Bent has to take it on the chin, however, he's a top player and I don't think he'll be benched very often. When he is, he should take it in good grace.
I'm pleased he's not happy to be on the bench. No decent player should.

He answered in the best way, the only way.

Offline jcsutv

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2012, 09:23:50 AM »
Bent knows his role, I wouldn't believe for a second that he's fallen out with Lambert. The only thing that make me stop and think is how pissed off and unmotivated he looked during the warm-up yesterday.
Agreed although not half as pissed off as Shay Given looked.

Offline Summers

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2012, 09:37:21 AM »
Can't even rotate a player without the media drumming something up. If Lambo wanted to light a fire under Bent, it looks like he has from his reaction to scoring. & we need a fired up Bent if we're to win some games this season.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2012, 09:47:42 AM »
Far too soon to say there's any problem there based on one game where he didn't start.  I expect Bent to start against Spurs and be the main striker this season, with Gabby and Benteke rotating as his partner.

Offline Can Gana Be Bettered!?!?

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2012, 09:53:27 AM »
What a load of rubbish. He started with the two strikers who'd contributed to the teams win over the champions in the previous game. Benteke and Gabby would have the right to be more pissed off if they were dropped.

Nothing to see here. Bent will stay and score many goals for us this season and seasons to come.

Online London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2012, 10:28:43 AM »
I like the way no one seems to guaranteed a starting place. You need to work your socks off to stay in the team, something which Bent sometimes doesn't do.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal