collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Warnock Speaks  (Read 11846 times)

Offline Quiet Lion

• GM : Feb, 2013
Re: Warnock Speaks
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2012, 11:40:21 PM »
I've never seen a professional footballer's form go backwards as quickly as Warnock's did. From the England squad to putting in League 1 standard performaces in a few short months.

My thoughts as well. He was solid up until the League Cup Final, then totally and utterly shit afterwards.

Offline malckennedy

« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2012, 11:53:36 PM »
I've never quite accepted that headed own goal v QPR (it was so difficult to pull off, given that he needed to get his head down almost to the ground and place it in the far corner). It happened in the home game immediately following his previous attempted headed own goal against Everton (Given manged to pull off a great save on that one). Both were headers, in the first half, defending the Holte End. Quite a coincidence in my opinion, given that a striker would have been proud of each effort had they been at the opposition's end!

Against QPR he went on to play very well as we fought back to 2-2 but I have often wondered about the motivation for those two headers!

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2012, 12:47:53 AM »
I think his confidence was shot.  I’ve played football at a shit level and once your confidence has gone even the simplest of passes is a mission.  As soon as the pass is not instinctive and you’re thinking about it, too slow, you’re fucked.

In a weird way, I do not think we helped Warnock recover.  Someone of this parish mentioned when they met him that he said “all Villa fans hate me”.  Whilst not true, he had that impression. 

On the flip side I think Lambert’s philosophy of signing unknown players on their way up may help here as - as long as we’re behind Lambert - the Lowtons will be given the benefit of the doubt compared to an 8M Warnock.  It’s easier to excuse a youngster compared to a player who is earning more a week than most of us do a year...

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2012, 05:27:36 AM »
Thought he was no more than average at Blackburn. Remember Milner tearing him a new one at Ewood Park a few months before he joined. Then he surprised initially at Villa by being half decent. Valencia destroyed him in that Carling Cup final and he got steadily worse for the rest of his career at the club.
The player I remember used be down on the ground getting treatment in each game. Typically after a daft mistake, his predictable limp would develop. He is such a brainless player. Diving in constantly was his trademark.
Sure his confidence went to bits but the fact he was anywhere near the English squad was down to the lack of decent players available. His former teammate Ivanhoe was also part of that squad.
The signing of both players summed up MON's legacy to the club

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2012, 10:27:55 AM »
I've never quite accepted that headed own goal v QPR (it was so difficult to pull off, given that he needed to get his head down almost to the ground and place it in the far corner). It happened in the home game immediately following his previous attempted headed own goal against Everton (Given manged to pull off a great save on that one). Both were headers, in the first half, defending the Holte End. Quite a coincidence in my opinion, given that a striker would have been proud of each effort had they been at the opposition's end!

Against QPR he went on to play very well as we fought back to 2-2 but I have often wondered about the motivation for those two headers!
Conspiracy theories ? Malaysian bookies ?

Offline The Laughing Policeman

• GM : 25.03.2017
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2012, 10:48:55 AM »

Sihillvilla, be very careful or Stephen Warnock may be getting a payout from you.

Offline malckennedy

« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2012, 10:56:09 AM »

Sihillvilla, be very careful or Stephen Warnock may be getting a payout from you.

Very true, no accusations made. But with two bizarre headed attempts (one successful/unsucessful depending on your point of view) in such similar circumstances, so proximate in time, there is nothing the Thought Police can do to stop people wondering.

Offline Mike Jeffries

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2012, 11:56:20 AM »
Got lobbed straight into the Bolton team yesterday, the inevitable booking followed.

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2012, 01:00:34 PM »

I said conspiracy theory ? I don't think he meant it at all. I think he was trying to head back to Given but his confidence was shot to pieces.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2012, 11:08:49 PM »
Warnock infuriated me I must admit.  His boneheaded challenge that gave Chelsea a penalty in their 7-1 win I remember vividly and his incredible own goal (after his dress rehearsel two weeks earlier) makes me grit my teeth every time I think of it.

On the other hand, as has been said, he never hid, and he scored a decent goal against Bolton before they beat us 2-1 and sealed TSM's fate.

Offline sid1964

« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2012, 08:11:03 AM »
The performance against Forest in pre season was the final straw for me!! he was useless, and that is being kind to him.

Offline not3bad

« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2012, 12:47:47 PM »
Got lobbed straight into the Bolton team yesterday, the inevitable booking followed.

Voted man of the match by Bolton fans:

http://www.burndenaces.co.uk/2012/10/01/man-of-the-match-v-crystal-palace-stephen-warnock.html

Offline not3bad

« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2012, 12:57:54 PM »

Very true, no accusations made. But with two bizarre headed attempts (one successful/unsucessful depending on your point of view) in such similar circumstances, so proximate in time, there is nothing the Thought Police can do to stop people wondering.

He had been promised a big payout by the team producing the next "Football Bloopers" DVD?  I reckon this is a good question to ask though.  I'm officially interested!

Offline Richard Richard

« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2012, 01:01:13 PM »

Voted man of the match by Bolton fans:

http://www.burndenaces.co.uk/2012/10/01/man-of-the-match-v-crystal-palace-stephen-warnock.html
Although that second paragraph is hardly a ringing endorsment.

Offline not3bad

« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2012, 01:18:04 PM »
Heh.  Stephen Warnock caught out of position so Zat Knight could give away the penalty...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal